My version of XR650R sidepanel vent.

27 replies to this topic
  • coreygauthier

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:19 AM

If you dont feel like spending hours doing yours check out the Xrsonly one

here it is on my bike...

http://www.facebook....29&id=566015104

I used a die grinder with a metal cut off disk and then a carbide bit. it doesn't have to be extemely precise because the trim plate covers the edge.

I'm running an high flow backfire screen as well

http://www.facebook....cb&id=566015104

I'm debating if i should run one size larger main for this mod....i ahve a 175 now and the bike is only uncorked.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:07 AM

If you dont feel like spending hours doing yours check out the Xrsonly one

here it is on my bike...

http://www.facebook....29&id=566015104

I used a die grinder with a metal cut off disk and then a carbide bit. it doesn't have to be extemely precise because the trim plate covers the edge.

I'm running an high flow backfire screen as well

http://www.facebook....cb&id=566015104

I'm debating if i should run one size larger main for this mod....i ahve a 175 now and the bike is only uncorked.

The objective of my homemade venting job was to get even more airflow than XR's only. But due to that i need even more jetting modification, i know a couple guys that race that might be able to help me out with jetting, because i dont no where to start. (needle, pilot, main?:prof: )

I tried adjusting the idle mixture, that helped but didnt do nearly enough, i tried going form a 175 to a 178 main, that made it worse:foul:

maby i need a 70 Pilot instead of 68S:confused:

• Frank ZX

Posted March 31, 2008 - 06:37 AM

The objective of my homemade venting job was to get even more airflow than XR's only. But due to that i need even more jetting modification, i know a couple guys that race that might be able to help me out with jetting, because i dont no where to start. (needle, pilot, main?:prof: )

I tried adjusting the idle mixture, that helped but didnt do nearly enough, i tried going form a 175 to a 178 main, that made it worse:foul:

maby i need a 70 Pilot instead of 68S:confused:

It would probably help to lower the clip a groove on the needle.That would be the first thing I would do.

• Greco

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:20 AM

Ok fellas, back to the performance question.

Those of you that have had both the intact panel and the one "opened up", did you notice enough gains in horsepower to make it worth the trouble? After re jetting of course. With that much open space on the panel, I can see the filter getting dirty enough quickly enough to adversely affect performance in a dusty environment. If ya hafta tape over the holes every now and again, it kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Also, there is no way I would want to wash the bike without taping over the holes first. What say you, oh grand poobahs of the BRP?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coreygauthier

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:18 AM

Ok fellas, back to the performance question.

Those of you that have had both the intact panel and the one "opened up", did you notice enough gains in horsepower to make it worth the trouble? After re jetting of course. With that much open space on the panel, I can see the filter getting dirty enough quickly enough to adversely affect performance in a dusty environment. If ya hafta tape over the holes every now and again, it kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Also, there is no way I would want to wash the bike without taping over the holes first. What say you, oh grand poobahs of the BRP?

I definetly think the screen kit is worth the time and the money. As for how much power it buys you....only a dyno will tell you that...I do beleive it's noticeable though.
I have the screen kit installed on my bike and i don't cover the screens while washing the bike. I just avoid directly spraying the area. Water that drips down on to them drains out the bottom of the cover anyway. If you were to drill many large holes in the sidecover....and not screen them off....the bike could suck in "cats,dogs, and small children" As for your filter getting dirty more quickly....yes it will.....more flow means more cleaning....

• BWB63

Posted April 17, 2008 - 12:52 PM

It is enough to make at least half a jet size larger and maybe a clip down on the needle. More fuel, more air......more power. It seems only to be up in the 6000+ rpm range. You've got to be really flying to notice power in that RPM range.

• 96lt4c4

Posted April 18, 2008 - 07:07 AM

I remember when I pulled the air box cover off my 01 WR 250F. I couldn't believe how crappy it ran. Defiantly need to go up a size or to on the main jet.

• Greco

Posted April 18, 2008 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I found what I was looking for at www.borynack.com/xr650r

He has dyno charts and everything. The info I got was that the gains to be had from this mod are mainly up top. Down low or trail rides don't get the full compliment of the panel being open. Mine is dual sported and spends a lot of time on fire roads and jeep trails. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll keep one panel intact and buy another to modify in case it gets muddy or wet. I figure I can use the intact panel for washing as well.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.