Two Quick Water Pump Questions

1 reply to this topic
  • angrybob

Posted March 22, 2008 - 12:19 PM

Ugh. The worst thing in the world is to have a prospective buyer of my 426 the point out a mechanical problem. When we started the bike, water dripped out of the weep hole. I just rode it two weeks ago and that leak wasn't there.

Anyway, two quick questions:

How long does the job take if I am planning on both seals and likely the shaft...bearing depends. I plan on removing the side cover. I work on my own bikes and am mechanically inclined, but have never had to perform maintenance on the cooling system. My guess is less than two hours.

Second, what is it worth not to do this repair? The guy who spotted the leak this morning is a mechanic and he stated "no big deal" but I am sure will use it for a bartering tool. Parts are $40. I was thinking of knocking $100 off. Is that reasonable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:53 PM

The job takes about 1.5 hours. Be sure to include oil and coolant in your parts list.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.