WR voltage reg on YZ...one last question

3 replies to this topic
  • oceanjake

Posted March 22, 2008 - 07:52 AM

I'm almost done and ready to fire the beast up. One question though:

The voltage regulator has two wires coming out of it. One goes to the hot lead, and one grounds to frame. It's difficult to find a place to mount the VR with the frame doubling as the oil reservoir. Do I "NEED" to bolt the VR to the frame so the unit itself grounds or is it enough to just have the black wire run to ground somewhere?

Thanks again.

• swatdoc

Posted March 22, 2008 - 01:06 PM

unit doesn't need to be grounded - the black wire will do that. It will get warm, so ideally it should be in a place that gets some airflow. I mounted mine to the front of my skidplate (inside surface). the slots in the plate allow air to flow through and cool the regulator

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Speedracer747-400

Posted March 22, 2008 - 01:12 PM

The black wire coming off the voltage regulator needs to go to chassis ground. The housing of the VR doesn't need to be grounded by bolting it to the frame. Try to mount the VR where it will receive good airflow for cooling. On the WR426F the VR is mounted on the left side of the frame just aft of the head tube.

• oceanjake

Posted March 22, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Done...thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.