XL600R Clutch lifter arm spring

3 replies to this topic
  • markd89

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:46 PM

I had the engine apart (and back together) about five years ago. Recently I decided to get the bike back in good running order.

I notice that the clutch handle does not have much resistance to it. You just about have to push the handle back yourself.

I see the spring on the clutch lifter arm and figure that maybe when I had it apart, I didn't crank this thing down around to create enough tension. I don't want to the case apart again and I'm wondering what my options are.

From the manual, it looks like I can't remove/replace the lifter arm without opening the case. Is that right? It doesn't look like I can tighten the spring without doing that.

Any suggestions or hacks to suggest?

Thanks
Mark

• cleonard

Posted March 21, 2008 - 09:33 PM

I thought that the spring that you are talking about is external on the clutch arm where the cable goes. It mounts on the stator cover. That is the spring that returns the clutch lever to it's non actuated position.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markd89

Posted March 21, 2008 - 09:55 PM

I thought that the spring that you are talking about is external on the clutch arm where the cable goes. It mounts on the stator cover. That is the spring that returns the clutch lever to it's non actuated position.

Yes, that's right. I think that's what needs to be wound up more. I don't think this can be done without opening the case and pulling the arm out. Am I wrong?

Mark

• cleonard

Posted March 22, 2008 - 10:08 AM

To me the "case" means splitting the center to get at the crank or transmission. To get at this you only have to remove the stator cover.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.