coolant overflow removal

5 replies to this topic
  • critter

Posted November 06, 2002 - 01:18 AM

I just ordered a aluminum sub frame and was wondering if there are any issues with leaving the coolant resevoir off, other than having to check the level more often.

• x2smoker

Posted November 06, 2002 - 02:58 AM

On hot days and slow single tracks you WILL overheat and lose coolant. I wouldn't recommend.

• MOmilkman

Posted November 06, 2002 - 03:44 AM

I agree with x2,

Mine has come in handy several times on hot days.
The only time I would say its a good idea to remove it is if you dont plan on getting more than 2 miles from the truck (coolant).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phile

Posted November 06, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Have you ever noticed it overflowing in the past? Are you jetted on the rich side or lean side? How do you use the bike? And a tip for all, only fill your radiator 3/8" over the fins inside. That leaves room for expanding liquid, and if your spew, then you are running hot and need a overflow tank. Mine is removed on my bike and it has not overflowed yet, I do carry a 70 oz. camel back if need and do ride faster areas like the So. Cal desert, and am jetted spot on.

• critter

Posted November 06, 2002 - 09:11 AM

I just got the bike and rode it only a handfull of times but no overflow to my knowledge. I'm converting to a YZ for MX racing.

• x2smoker

Posted November 06, 2002 - 03:30 PM

Phile, I agree that if you can keep moving, you probably won't overheat in any temperature. First time mine boiled was when a DRZ guy popped his shoulder on a long uphill singe track. After waiting for about 2 minutes for the trail to clear, I killed the engine and it boiled fiercly. It was about 98 degrees out.

Basically I have found that if I keep moving, even slowly, it will not overheat. But on a hot day, it takes about 1 minute of idle. Now if I need to stop and wait for the yellow and red guys :), I shut off the engine. Takes one kick after a normal shut-off.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.