400 with 3rd gear gone, is it worth buying??

5 replies to this topic
  • revditup

Posted March 21, 2008 - 01:12 PM

I'm looking at buying a 400 that is in mint conditon other than the fact that it won't stay in 3rd gear.

The owner says it just got progressively worse and worse. It would jump out every now & then but now it's to the point where it won't stay in gear at all.

I'm more familiar with working on street bikes but i'm not afraid to split the case to fix it if I get it.

Im not however, familiar with these bike and common problems that they may have. He says some of the parts in the tranny weren't hardened the first couple of years and that it was probably just a shift fork or shift cam.

Considering all, would $700
be a reasonable offer for me to make?

Oh yeah, 1st time poster :confused:

• erickdj

Posted March 21, 2008 - 02:28 PM

Considering all, would $700
be a reasonable offer for me to make?

Oh yeah, 1st time poster :confused:

If you can fix it yourself and the parts don't cost more than $200 I'd say it's a decent deal.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted March 21, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Nope, I wouldn't buy it at all. The transmission problem, to me anyhow, is a sign that you should stay far away from the bike. Even if that's the only problem with it, that 400 is, at minimum, 9 years old. It's likely to need an rebuild that'll cost about 3x what your $700 offer is. I'd stay away.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smokeslider

Posted March 21, 2008 - 03:28 PM

IMHO, Maybe $500, like was said before, this bike is likely to need some things while your in there and you'll end up spending some cash on that.

• YZERIK

Posted March 21, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Nope, I wouldn't buy it at all. The transmission problem, to me anyhow, is a sign that you should stay far away from the bike. Even if that's the only problem with it, that 400 is, at minimum, 9 years old. It's likely to need an rebuild that'll cost about 3x what your $700 offer is. I'd stay away.

i just re-built my YZ ( new pistion, rings, head inspected and shimmed, new cam chain, gaskets, etc.) for 350 champ.

• tom nolan

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:39 PM

I changed both my 3rd gears 3 times untill yamaha came out with an inproved shot peened set and i have had no problems since. It's not that expensive for the parts if you, with some machanical ability, can do it yourself.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.