Rekluse pro tuning on an 06 wr450

8 replies to this topic
  • g123

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hi

Last weekend I installed a Rekluse Pro in my 06 wr450 (all free mods done). I have only put 7 hrs on it since (90hrs total) but am very happy with the change particularly in tight conditions and on hill climbs.

The clutch is setup with the middle engagement speed and has all balls installed.

I have a couple of minor problems which hopefully someone can help me with.

1/ If I snap the throttle from idle it has a 50/50 chance of stalling (has jd jetting kit but is possibly a bit fat at the low end).

2/ When the bike gets really hot (after maybe an hour of tight woods) the clutch drags slightly at idle increasing the chance of stalling.

I really just want to increase the start of the engagement point by a couple of hundred revs. Am I best to do this by changing to the harder spring setup or by taking 3 balls out or both?

Also I am running standard 4 stroke oil - any suggestions re engine oil and what difference it could make.

any other suggestions appreciated.

many thanks

Mark

• Wiz636

Posted March 21, 2008 - 01:37 PM

Had the same problem with mine. Stay with the 27 balls for the snappy engagement but change to the next stiffer spring. This will bring your engagement point just a little higher RPM-wise but you will retain the quick and snappy engagement. Mine was so tight that it would occasionally brake stall.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 21, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Try turning up your idle speed a little to 2K. The Yamaha manual calls for a 1700-1900 RPM idle. Also make sure your fuel screw is adjusted perfectly to help prevent stalling. With the bike warmed up turn the fuel screw in until the bike almost dies and then turn it out until the engine RPM peaks. When engine RPM peaks, the exhaust note is sharp and crisp, but if you go too far, the exhaust note will become choked and will lose that snappy sound. Having clutch drag at idle is normal if you still want to retain engine braking. I found the following in another Rekluse thread that was posted by Al Youngwerth the designer of the Rekluse.

To get consistent compression braking, you must have clutch drag at idle. With the bike fully warmed up, the bike in gear, with you off the bike, the bike should move forward some on it's own. Another way to check is with the clutch out, in gear, your idle should be about 200 RPMs less than with the clutch pulled in, in gear.

You won't wear your clutch plates or overheat your clutch with a little drag. You may find yourself holding in the lever (about 2 pounds of force at idle) when you're at a stop for a while.

If the drag just bugs you, learn to blip the throttle a bit as you come off the brakes or release the clutch lever at speed.

The approximate engagement rpm of the Rekluse Pro with the different springs is as follows:
Engagement RPM
Low 1500-1600 RPM
Medium 1800 RPM
High 2100-2200 RPM

• tweav

Posted March 21, 2008 - 05:31 PM

I agree I think you need to tweak your idle settings . I've got all the same settings on my rekluse pro but mine is idling at 1700 . mine has never stalled out or pulled thru it's also possible the balls in the clutch are not seated yet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pobenda

Posted March 22, 2008 - 01:39 AM

You can call rekluse and order some tungsten balls too. It will give you faster engagment.

• gregwr450f

Posted March 22, 2008 - 02:29 AM

If the spring set-up is the same as the older rekluse system stick with the srping you have and adjust the retaining bolts slightly to put a tiny bit more tension.

• sausage boy

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hi

Last weekend I installed a Rekluse Pro in my 06 wr450 (all free mods done). I have only put 7 hrs on it since (90hrs total) but am very happy with the change particularly in tight conditions and on hill climbs.

The clutch is setup with the middle engagement speed and has all balls installed.

I have a couple of minor problems which hopefully someone can help me with.

1/ If I snap the throttle from idle it has a 50/50 chance of stalling (has jd jetting kit but is possibly a bit fat at the low end).

2/ When the bike gets really hot (after maybe an hour of tight woods) the clutch drags slightly at idle increasing the chance of stalling.

I really just want to increase the start of the engagement point by a couple of hundred revs. Am I best to do this by changing to the harder spring setup or by taking 3 balls out or both?

Also I am running standard 4 stroke oil - any suggestions re engine oil and what difference it could make.

any other suggestions appreciated.

many thanks

Mark

when was the last time you checked your valve shims? i had a similar problem to yours, the rekluse just brought it to light.
i spent hours re-adjusting the clutch then re-doing the jetting, turns out the inlet valves had tightened up.
hey did you get the standard rekluse or the pro? i've jsut bought on 08WR450 and i can't find the pro kit?

• xcracer123

Posted March 22, 2008 - 09:16 PM

sausage boy - look here:

https://ssl4.westser...4dfe4b5201b388b

• Mark_NZ

Posted March 23, 2008 - 12:41 AM

Hi

I made the original post using my sons (g123) logon - and I've just created my own.

Went for another ride today and either I'm becoming more used to it or the problem is some settling in thing (balls?) as I stalled less and didn't notice the dragging as much. 2nd gear in really tight trails (13/50 gears) is a magic carpet ride - so smoooth but its on hillclimbs that it really shines. It certainly makes me appear to be a better rider.

I will check my valves as I'm coming up to 100hrs and they were last checked at 15hrs - I might even replace the original untouched spark plug while I'm in there....

I will also try the higher engagement speed spring setup just to see what its like.

thanks everyone for the feedback - it was helpful

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.