Testing....debate

13 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:07 AM

I don't think I made the point right. I was just thnking of the difference in point of view from a group that is so deverse

• xr650l bum

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:24 AM

It is hard to be as specific as you requesting. Being that this is a General 600/650 forum there will always be a diverse group. I think most people try to specify what type of riding they do by saying 70/30 street/dirt(for example). I think people are smart enough to dicifer the conversations and take what they need out of them. There will always be the few that need more guidance.

• cleonard

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Tires are a very subjective thing. On identical bike one guy might love a tire but the other hate it. How people ride is a big factor. For example I don't race. I prefer crazy single track. That is a completely different situation than desert racing. When you never get out of second gear the tires don't matter as much. If it were not for the high speed that I do on a regular basis, I'd try a trials tire.

I'm on a 600, so take that into account. I run a Maxxis Desert IT because they last a long time. They are not my favorite tire from a traction perspective. They have decent traction and for me have been predictable. I've also run a non desert Maxxis and I can't say I noticed a whole lot of difference. I used to run 756's. I liked the traction for the variety of conditions that I rode in. The only problem was the monthly replacement depending on where I was riding. The guy who first turned me on to them rides a KTM525. They lasted for him and that's not a low output bike.

When money was tight I have run tires way past where others would replace them. I have been quite surprised at just how well they still work with only 1/4 inch of tread. I have gone up some sand hill climbs that I didn't think was possible. Yes traction suffered, but I wasn't racing. Issues like that can be addressed by technique to some degree.

I've been riding just about every chance that I get for almost twenty years. I'm still getting better.

It's kind of a funny thing when you ride an older bike like an XR600. People automatically think you can't ride the tough stuff. I've had plenty of riders who wanted to tag along think that the trails that I was going to go on would be easy because of my bike. Then I hit the goat trails and the call for Mommy. They do tend to be those 2000 mile guys though.

Once I met a guy up in the Piutes on a XR250. He did stuff that was absolutely amazing. Never forget it's the rider not the bike.

• martinfan30

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:42 AM

I agree, suspension is the key to be fast. I however am a gearhead, I like enignes and transmissions. So those are the first to be upgraded on my bikes.

Suspension is coming, beleive me! I'm sick of this ill handling setup designed for a 180 pounder, when i'm 6'5" and 230 lbs. Looking at gold valve kit...

Tires, I like the MT21's, dot appr. because I do 50/50. I get maybe 450-500 out of a rear, and its toast. This has accelerated after the engine mods.

I'm sure you are an excellent rider, and look forward to riding with you someday. I have been riding for 25 yrs, and am not a beginner but far from where you are/were in your racing career. Not that it matters.

I just enjoy getting out (like the upcoming ride) of the house, riding, goofing, beer drinking and BSing with the fellas.

Rich.

• truck6driver

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:58 AM

I look at it from the stand point of a weekend warrior rider. I ride a Modified XR650L. I concider myself a 80/20 rider. I commute the bike @300 to 400 miles a week and ride with friends on the weekends. Off road riding consist of dirt roads, single track and bottomless sand holes that the area has to offer. I have run the Suzuki Dual sport series rides when I have the time and Uharrie National Forest (rocks, rocks, and more rocks) from time to time. I have found that the Kenda K270 gives me the best all around tire for the money. Please read this again Best All Around. Not the best tire period or best in dirt or best in street. I know that dual sport tires are a compromise and I live with that. Lets face it the tire I run sucks in sticky clay mud. Bike has battle scares to prove it. I run my tires until they are almost bald. Not because I'm that cheap but the street manners get better the thinner they get. Since I do most of my seat time on the street I can get away with it.
I average 4k out of a rear and 6k+ on the front. I replace the front mostly beacuse of cupping of the tread and not beacuse it is bald.

RH

• husky123

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:57 AM

Someone's been drinking and posting...

• Kenzo

Posted March 21, 2008 - 01:19 PM

...maybe the Koolaide... :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted March 21, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Damn I wish I had the time to ride 400-500 miles a week!

Dave

• resurrection

Posted March 21, 2008 - 02:03 PM

You can allways tell when I've been drunking my spelling is gooder

• truck6driver

Posted March 21, 2008 - 02:55 PM

OH stuff it! :confused: It's my bike I'll run what "I" like not what you like. :excuseme:
If I run what most people here what me to run I will be spooning tires on the XR every 2 weeks.

Have a nice day

RH

• truck6driver

Posted March 21, 2008 - 02:58 PM

Damn I wish I had the time to ride 400-500 miles a week!

Dave

Look carefully it is commuting to my two jobs not playing.:confused: I might get 100 miles a month playing.

RH

• truck6driver

Posted March 21, 2008 - 04:04 PM

OH stuff it! :confused: It's my bike I'll run what "I" like not what you like. :excuseme:
If I run what most people here what me to run I will be spooning tires on the XR every 2 weeks.

Have a nice day

RH

OK guys this is a public OOPS. I thought Husky123 was directing his comment towards me. That is why the response was what I posted. It seems that anytime someone post something good about a Kenda tire we get bashed. I thought this was the case here and posted in jest.

Sorry Husky.

RH

• husky123

Posted March 21, 2008 - 05:15 PM

No problem here RH! I love me a Kenda!

• Kenzo

Posted March 22, 2008 - 09:59 AM

kinda weird when one can go back and edit their posts with no time limits...:excuseme:

the original first post wus all but deleted and the follow up post totally removed...:confused:

this thread, posts and the responces now worthless...

:excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.