Tell us how you do

13 replies to this topic
  • resurrection

Posted March 20, 2008 - 10:09 PM

Ok you guys out there offering advice .
I been surfing for about 6 months and theres more knowadge on this site than most .
I have been atacked on other sites for poor gramer and spelling .
I have left those sites thinking those people are short on wrenching skills yet atack someone who can (I hope you agre offer good advice )

You people may not spell any better than I do ,but you are the most correct on the subject .

I'm not asking you to blow your horn but please tell some of your story .

• sploogemonkey

Posted March 20, 2008 - 11:17 PM

I have an embarassingly limited pool of knowledge to draw from, let alone share. I like to tinker with stuff, but once frustration kicks in, wrenches and hammers miraculously acquire the capacity for high velocity flight.

I've benefitted from advice from many people here, and both me and my bike are grateful for it. I've never had anyone knock me for a stupid question, and I'm pretty sure I've lobbed a few about.

A few of us here rib each other a bit, but it's all in good fun.

Some of us are kind of like a dysfunctional sitcom family that bickers all the time but still gets along. Kinda like Sanford and Son.

Martin is Fred Sanford
I'm Lamont
Jetfuel is Grady
and Denn is Aunt Esther. Except Esther is better looking than Denn.

• Blownaway

Posted March 20, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Yes your grammar and spelling is poor:busted: . We will take you though.

• scalejockey

Posted March 21, 2008 - 04:20 AM

It's like the biggest atraction at the zoo.

The monkey cage!
Gotta love it..

• BBA

Posted March 21, 2008 - 04:30 AM

You know I feel the same way. I used to hangout at a certain "adventure" website alot (still do a little) but there are ALOT of anal know-it-alls there that wait to pounch on you for bad grammer or asking too simple of a question for their supposed expert knowledge. I feel that TT's XR600/650 board is a place where at the end of a day of working and putting up with the masses I can log on , read , post and ask any stupid question without getting some smarta$$ remark or comment from someone who is trying to belittle me for their own self rightous ego. It is a cool place and a great crowd. Who cares if you mistype a word and dont put capital letters where there supposed to be. I think we all have a very common passion for motorcycles here on TT and it seems that if there are any attitudes they are checked at the sign in board and everyone is here to relax and have a good time. Cheers to my TT pals, you boys can make fun of my typing anytime because I know that most of the attitudes on here are the same as mine which is just to chill out, enjoy the conversation and maybe poke fun at the old KLR650 once in a while!:confused:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:18 AM

This forum is miles above the rest, overall. The thing I like most about this forum is up-to-date information. Many of the other forums use 6 year old ideas to solve problems, or reccomend products that don't exist anymore.

:confused:

• resurrection

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:34 AM

The thing is if I had spent more time paying attention in school and became an english teacher .My father never would have put me to work in the machine shop .

I don' think I would change a thing .My life has been so full of motorcycles and machine shops.

I didn't send my first Email until 07.I'm well over 40 and never typed a lick until then .

Spent a few years as student to study air plane machanics ,then MMI for bikes,trying to avoid pleaseing my father by going into his trade of tool making .(you know father /son crap)then onto mold makeing ,witch made his day .Seems you always go back HOME ya know.Very little schooling on grammar in these fields.
but learned alot about this whole machanical world we love so much

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:48 AM

I consider myself - just a good ol boy, work on and ride bikes and that is my utmost passion in life. Well aside from family etc, but you know what I mean. I like it here, good postings, information etc and some funnin'. I have been on the XL page at oldrice.com - and before that XLintperformance forums, even tried out Harley forums when I bought my Dyna Glide, I will never go back there. Mostly I like TT, hope to get more gas as time goes on and I like to offer what I know, and what has worked for me and to also learn from others.

• martinfan30

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:54 AM

You know I feel the same way. I used to hangout at a certain "adventure" website alot (still do a little) but there are ALOT of anal know-it-alls there that wait to pounch on you for bad grammer or asking too simple of a question for their supposed expert knowledge. I feel that TT's XR600/650 board is a place where at the end of a day of working and putting up with the masses I can log on , read , post and ask any stupid question without getting some smarta$$ remark or comment from someone who is trying to belittle me for their own self rightous ego. It is a cool place and a great crowd. Who cares if you mistype a word and dont put capital letters where there supposed to be. I think we all have a very common passion for motorcycles here on TT and it seems that if there are any attitudes they are checked at the sign in board and everyone is here to relax and have a good time. Cheers to my TT pals, you boys can make fun of my typing anytime because I know that most of the attitudes on here are the same as mine which is just to chill out, enjoy the conversation and maybe poke fun at the old KLR650 once in a while!:confused:

An occasional paragraph would make this drek easier to read.:sweden::crazy:

No, seriously this site tops all the others I belong to as well. There is always something new to read, ask, and/or help out with. You guys are all great and hope to get a chance to ride(and/or :excuseme:)with you some day.

My background starts at five years old with my first Italjet Indian 50cc. Still have it! Started wrenching on bikes not long after. Eventually ended up at UTI for automotive, then right after that I was hired at this Toyota dealer. Since 1995.

My flaws are suspension. I havent done much at all as far as that goes. Hence I am slow! The engine makes good power though!

Thanks for all guys.:excuseme:

Rich

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Yes your grammar and spelling is poor:busted: . We will take you though.

Ahem. His grammer and spelling :naughty:are:naughty: poor.

This message brought to you by the Society of English Majors.

Dave

• resurrection

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:06 AM

Ahem. His grammer and spelling :naughty:are:naughty: poor.

This message brought to you by the Society of English Majors.

Dave

Thats good stuff ,
Even the best selling authors have thier stuff proof read,I mean lets get real some words have 4 ways to spell and ten ways to use them.

How the hell is a fella with a HP deficite going to keep up?

• BBA

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:52 AM

An occasional paragraph would make this drek easier to read

A paragraph?? Whats that? Ohh you mean one of those things the ancient indians used to scribble on rock walls with a piece of coal or a rock!! :confused: :excuseme:

• cleonard

Posted March 21, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Actually the main reason that I started posting here was to just get some more practice writing. Other than writing computer code and a little documentation for it, I had not used the written word very much at all. I'm still no award winning novelist, but I am sure better than I was.

as far as giving people a hard time, I will only mention grammar, spelling, etc. when it is so bad that it is difficult to understand what the writer is trying to get across. Well that and the guys who make a post that is several screens long in one paragraph. It is just hard to read.

Thank god for spell check or I don't think that anyone could read what I type. Thanks Google for that one. Just install the Google tool bar and it will flag any word it doesn't know when you are typing.

As far as bikes go, I've started working on cars at a young age. Not sure when , but I think my dad had me changing oil by age 10. My parents were extremely anti bike, so I couldn't have one until I moved out. That didn't stop me from having a minibike that I kept at a friends house. Funds were limited so I ended up building a 2hp B&S engine from a box of parts.

My first car was a 1972 Mercury Capri that I bought with a dead motor. It had the 1.6 L engine and since I was replacing it, I decided to put in one of the larger engines. That car had an option for a 2.0L 4 cyl or a 2.6 6 cyl. I found a 2.0 and started working. I though it would be easy. Wrong. It took custom engine mounts, custom trans mounts, a custom driveshaft, a custom exhaust system, considerably reworked electrical wiring harnesses before I could get it on the road. I did all of it myself. I had almost every part of that car apart at one time or another. What a pain in the rear, but I learned a lot.

I've had plenty of four wheeled vehicles after that but I have never worked on one so much as that old one.

Throw in an engineering degree that I got in 86. That didn't hurt. Check that. It hurt A LOT while I was getting it.

I've had three dirt bikes starting with a 78 XL250S, then an 81 XR500R and finally my current XR600R. I ride them into get ground. Except for machine work, I have done everything myself. I think that I have a little more patience than Sploogemonkey, but I have been know to throw tools and spew a seemingly endless stream of expletives at times. The main thing is a positive attitude when working on something mechanical. Things can be difficult the first time, but once you figure out how to do something it is a lot easier the next time.

I first found what has become the internet in 1975. I have been part of numerous mailing lists, news groups, and forums in that time. None of them has even been close to the quality of what goes on here. All of those had a lot more negativity. Even back before 1990 when the internet was the exclusive domain of hardcore propeller heads it was worse. The grammar nazis were horrible and people would argue endlessly about nothing.

I don't know how or why, but TT is the greatest.

• martinfan30

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:27 AM

A paragraph?? Whats that? Ohh you mean one of those things the ancient indians used to scribble on rock walls with a piece of coal or a rock!! :excuseme: :sweden:

Yeah, thats it!:confused: :excuseme:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.