XR600 and XR650 jetting similiar?

8 replies to this topic
  • mikesbaron

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:29 PM

I have a 1993 XR600r with some sort of flat slide carb and of course my newish 2003 650R. I think I have the main jet for the 650 sorted and want to know if I could expect the main on the 600 to bve pretty much the same size, given similiar bike mods?

It runs ok, the 600 but doens't seem to have much pull. I have yet to pull it's main jet but I got the plug out of it and it was black sooty!

• cleonard

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:05 PM

My guess is the 600 would be close, but is is not going to pull quite as much air. Perhaps one or two sizes leaner.

However, are these different carbs? Stocker on the 650R and a flat slide on the 600? In that case they jetting may be completely different. It would only be close if we are talking the same model of carb.

As I'm sure you know sooty black is way rich. The question is where, main jet, needle or idle.

• Kenzo

Posted March 21, 2008 - 05:44 AM

sum gud info here...

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/

• mikesbaron

Posted March 22, 2008 - 01:05 PM

Here's a pic of the XR6 project. This is the latest mod: cut down side panels. Next up will be new bars, handguards, frnt fender, Acerbis fork guards. and headlight setup. The bike has a 628 kit, addtl cooling fins and flatslide I'm still trying to get sorted. I just had the kickstand tab welded back on as well s the right side footpeg mount area crack fixed. Eventually will be powdered coated frame.
Some before and after of this particular XR600 project I've been getting help on, still looking for some jetting help. But oh well, here's the sidepanels before and after shots.

BEFORE
Posted Image
Posted Image

AFTER:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenzo

Posted March 22, 2008 - 03:17 PM

didn't see that u changed the carb :excuseme:

go and ask Eddie on the "Jetting Board"...

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=64

the plastics look great...gotta relocate my :confused: battery if i want XR600R left side panel...

:excuseme:

• daddyk

Posted March 22, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I saw the photo on the jetting forum. It looks a lot like the TM38-85 that XRs Only made up for the 600. They also did the big fin add ons. If thats what it is they came stock with a 240 MJ,17.5 pilot,6FJ41-4 Needle,389-Q4 Needle Jet.4.0 slide for 3500 elevation. You would go richer on Main and pilot if lower El. Leaner if higher el. XRs only bored them out to 41mm and there should be an alumunium adapter on the filter side. I have one on one bike and it works very well. I like the cut down side panels.

• mikesbaron

Posted March 22, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Daddky K, you are the man!
Glad you liked the side panels. It should all look pretty slick once we get the new bars, headlight and fender, handguards, fork guards setup.
BTW, any of you XR 600 fans know where I can view some good video of Scott Summers doing damage on his XR600? I tried You Tube and nada.

• litng1

Posted March 24, 2008 - 09:03 PM

Where and how much are the fins for the motor?Side panels look Great!

• mikesbaron

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:40 PM

not sure how much the fins are. I think they were done by XRs only. I'll see if I can look it up though from an old mag where they did this mod.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.