07 650L Sprocket mounting hole size and type?

16 replies to this topic
  • IMNXNYR

Posted March 20, 2008 - 01:25 PM

This goes out to those of you that have changed rear sprockets on your 650L's, I have a question regarding the sprocket mounting hole size and type of seating surface for the head of the bolts that secure the sprocket to the hub?
I recently received a JT sprocket that was listed as "fits on XR650L's up to 2006" however when I went to put it on my 07 650L I realized that the holes in the JT sprocket are M-8 dia and the OEM bolts are M-10 dia and the JT sprocket has tapered bolt mounting holes and the OEM bolts are the kind that are flat surfaced and recess slightly into the OEM sprocket. I really didn't think that there was a difference in sprockets between the 06 and 07 models. To mount the sprocket to the hub I had to drill out the 6 holes on the new sprocket to accept the OEM M-10 diameter bolt and to ensure full seating of the OEM bolt against the sprocket I mounted the sprocket to the hub with the tapered hole side facing the hub.
This set up works just fine and there is no movement at all with the sprocket but now I'm looking to find the correct sprocket in either JT or Sunstar.
Anyone have the part # for a JT or Sunstar rear sprocket in 48, 49 or 50 tooth that will actually work on an 07 hub using the M-10 OEM bolts?
I was hoping to find M-10 tapered bolts but all I can find are M-8 tapered.

• martinfan30

Posted March 20, 2008 - 01:31 PM

HA! Your new JT sprocket aluminum? When I ordered my first 48 tooth, thats what came. I had to drill out the holes as well. Make sure you use lock tite. It worked great for 1000 miles. The torque just hooked the hell out of those alu teeth.

I just ordered a new 15,14 and 48 tooth Jt sprocket set from TT store. With new RK chain. This rear jt is steel and they are the correct holes and counter sunk for the stock bolts.

Look here.
http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=767&s=2

• IMNXNYR

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:10 PM

HA! Your new JT sprocket aluminum? When I ordered my first 48 tooth, thats what came. I had to drill out the holes as well. Make sure you use lock tite. It worked great for 1000 miles. The torque just hooked the hell out of those alu teeth.

I just ordered a new 15,14 and 48 tooth Jt sprocket set from TT store. With new RK chain. This rear jt is steel and they are the correct holes and counter sunk for the stock bolts.

Look here.
http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=767&s=2

Actually it's High Carbon Steel (Black) completely destroyed the $7 high speed titanium drill bit I bought to bore the holes in it. The JT bag/wrapper it came in says JTR210.50 which is the same part number shown for the 50 tooth sprocket in your TT store link. So either the 06 is different from the 07 or the sprocket was packaged wrong. Either way I still want a sprocket to match the OEM bolts and mating surfaces. When you receive your 48 toother, could you shoot me a message verifying fitment.
Thanks

• IMNXNYR

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:21 PM

As a matter of fact I just dug up the receipt for the sprocket and I got the sprocket from the TT store. So before you order a sprocket from them you might want to call and verify the mounting hole setup before actually submitting the order. In addition to that the JT Sprocket website shows the sprocket part # as a different # for the 650L. JTR301 vice JTR210. Here's the link. http://www.jtsprocke...sel_uid=4292&p=

• Denn10

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:25 PM

surprised they dont have dual patterns on those sprockets. Some of mine for my YZ have both, one for the panhead bolts and the other for the flat ones. That sucks though, im sure TT will take care of you though.

• martinfan30

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Actually it's High Carbon Steel (Black) completely destroyed the $7 high speed titanium drill bit I bought to bore the holes in it. The JT bag/wrapper it came in says JTR210.50 which is the same part number shown for the 50 tooth sprocket in your TT store link. So either the 06 is different from the 07 or the sprocket was packaged wrong. Either way I still want a sprocket to match the OEM bolts and mating surfaces. When you receive your 48 toother, could you shoot me a message verifying fitment.
Thanks

Yeah the second one i noted in my post is the black steel 48. It fits as the stocker did. I ordered the from tt store, that part number in the link.

Put them on last night. All is good.

• cleonard

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:32 PM

I believe that the JTR210 is for the 650R and uses 8mm mounting hardware. The JTR301 is the proper sprocket for the XR650L and is also what is on my 93 XR600R.

You want the JTR301.

Looks like the catalog is screwed up.

• IMNXNYR

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:51 PM

I believe that the JTR210 is for the 650R and uses 8mm mounting hardware. The JTR301 is the proper sprocket for the XR650L and is also what is on my 93 XR600R.

You want the JTR301.

Looks like the catalog is screwed up.

Roger that.
Gonna order the 301 version.
Thanks for the info gang.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted March 20, 2008 - 05:08 PM

GREATTT just looked at my JT sprocket that just came in and its the wrong one. LOL

• infsqdldr

Posted March 21, 2008 - 05:46 PM

i was looking for the jt 48 for a L as well. saw the parts unlimited catalog was jacked up, hoped the jt site was not. finally found one at bikebandit. they have a cool oem feature as well. click on any schematic of the bike, and it shows every part. was able to order chain tensioner bolt/nut instead of buying a new one. http://www.bikebandi...roduct/A4658042

• infsqdldr

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:25 PM

just got it, its the jt210. bloody parts unlimited.

• 4serge

Posted December 20, 2008 - 01:39 PM

This goes out to those of you that have changed rear sprockets on your 650L's, I have a question regarding the sprocket mounting hole size and type of seating surface for the head of the bolts that secure the sprocket to the hub?
I recently received a JT sprocket that was listed as "fits on XR650L's up to 2006" however when I went to put it on my 07 650L I realized that the holes in the JT sprocket are M-8 dia and the OEM bolts are M-10 dia and the JT sprocket has tapered bolt mounting holes and the OEM bolts are the kind that are flat surfaced and recess slightly into the OEM sprocket. I really didn't think that there was a difference in sprockets between the 06 and 07 models. To mount the sprocket to the hub I had to drill out the 6 holes on the new sprocket to accept the OEM M-10 diameter bolt and to ensure full seating of the OEM bolt against the sprocket I mounted the sprocket to the hub with the tapered hole side facing the hub.
This set up works just fine and there is no movement at all with the sprocket but now I'm looking to find the correct sprocket in either JT or Sunstar.
Anyone have the part # for a JT or Sunstar rear sprocket in 48, 49 or 50 tooth that will actually work on an 07 hub using the M-10 OEM bolts?
I was hoping to find M-10 tapered bolts but all I can find are M-8 tapered.

I just did the same mistake. I bought a sprocket from e-bay advertised as XR650L 93-2006 and it is for tapered bolts with smaller diameter... I found it only when I took the old one out :thumbsup: - I put it back on and wrote e-mail to seller ... but were this mix-up came from? are those tapered for XR650R ??

• Denn10

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:29 PM

yep and i just drilled mine out and used loctite on OEM bolts and it holds fine, but send it back if you get this, not worth the hassle (not that its a big hassle but...)

• uhscumark

Posted March 22, 2009 - 08:29 AM

Same thing happened to me as well. I noticed that while researching places to get the M10x1.25 machine bolt that I would need to fit the hub and work on the new sprocket, several images of XR"L"s with the sprocket bolts mounted in reverse came up. So, I'm not sure if these guys found some source for nuts that were tapered or what. Either way, I too will have to drill out the new sprocket I just got. By the way, I ordered mine from the motorcycle super store and they listed it as a XR650L part, and to compound it, I went to "cyclegear" here in my town and was told by the store manager that he had owned 3 650L's and never ran into that problem, my guess is that he is not so bright and has never owned an "L".

• ThaGipper

Posted August 11, 2009 - 10:12 PM

I ended up drilling the holes for an M10 and bought new grade 8 tapered bolts (M10 x 1.25). Grade 8 were the hardest bolts I could find. Seemed appropriate for the application. I probably would have re-ordered the new sproket, but I was jonesing to ride so badly I said screw it and made it work.

P.S I emailed Motorcycle Superstore and informed them they were selling a mis-listed item.

• Purcell69

Posted August 12, 2009 - 04:35 AM

Like Cleonard said, the sprocket with the 8mm tapered mounting holes is for the XR650R. I purposely bought one in 44 tooth for my L for highway riding and redrilled the six mounting holes to 3/8" to use the stock M10 bolts. The heads of the M10 bolts just fit into the tapered holes and seated nicely. I had over 8,000 miles on this set-up with no problems. It is a nice alternative to the stock 45 tooth rear sprocket. Using the R sprockets gives the rider the option of gearing the bike to his own riding style and taste.

-Joe

• ThaGipper

Posted August 13, 2009 - 08:04 AM

I put a 14 tooth on the front and a 48 tooth on the back of my XR650L and all I can say is WOW! What a difference. My bike feels much torqe'r and is more responsive. The only draw back is my top speed has fallen by about 10mph, which I don't really care too much about. I don't go 80mph very often enyway.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.