Lost Spark Plug Tool - suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
  • Old Man Rider

Posted March 20, 2008 - 11:23 AM

I lost the handy little spark plug tool that comes with the bike. I tried to find a slim socket that would fit in the hole with no luck - has anyone purchased a replacment from Yamaha - if so what is the part number? I also hear there are 3rd party knockoffs has anyone found one of these that works?

Any other solutions that you have used?

Thanks

• BAHeron

Posted March 20, 2008 - 11:39 AM

I use a craftsman spark plug socket with a swivel and short extension, (5/8 i think) it works well as it has a rubber inside to retreive the plug.

• face_plant

Posted March 20, 2008 - 12:36 PM

+1 but i use a 1/4 and a 8" extention

• maxtherat

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:26 PM

I have the Motion Pro spark plug socket. It works great

• C-P

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:41 PM

Go to about any place that offers motorsports parts - it's actually a pretty cheap item in terms of cost and the way it's made. Otherwise, get the right size socket, small extensions and/or swivels.

• Birdy426

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:40 PM

Motion Pro.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:43 AM

any particular 18mm long socket, a swivel extension and a 3" extension.

• dirtysouth

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:02 PM

Stanley makes a pretty cool socket wrench that has a stationary neck relative to typical wrenches. The ratcheting action is produced by twisting the handle and whatever direction you have it set to is the direction the socket turns no matter which way you are spinning the handle. Would work well for this with the correct size extension and a deep well socket. Then, one day it will come in handy for something else with a mechanical design OOPS.

• beezer

Posted March 22, 2008 - 12:24 PM

I have 211 of those wrenches.

I'm sure I can part with one.

PM me and I'll tighten you up.

Us old men gotta stick together.

• hotdog7

Posted March 22, 2008 - 02:32 PM

I use a sparkplug socket and a 3in extention to break it lose then I have to take off the extention because it wont fit out with the plug so then I push a 3/8 hose in the socket unscrew the rest of the way and pull it out.

• Old Man Rider

Posted March 22, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses - I purchased a thin walled socket which has worked well with the extension.

• 88Blownstang

Posted December 27, 2008 - 12:01 PM

If you still have any of the spark plug wrenches left I would gladly purchase one. Let me know. Thanks and happy New Year!

Bob

• BigVthumper

Posted December 27, 2008 - 08:19 PM

I have the Motion Pro spark plug socket. It works great

What is the part number for the Motion Pro? Seem to me they make a few.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.