My Motard Pics

28 replies to this topic
  • TeamScream

Posted April 26, 2002 - 03:29 PM

thought you guys might like to see the SuperMoto, here it is almost complete....street legal except that the turn signals have not been mounted has a battery, horn and all! notice the triple clamps- polished and anodized ble as well as the wheels, the forks are hard anodized, the swingarm is powder coated, I tried to pay attention to the small stuff, the handguard mounts are anodized, the chain tensioner blocks are anodized....what do you think?Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted April 26, 2002 - 03:44 PM

Very nice !!!!!!!!!! Now you just need to keep it like that. :D

Pete :)

• S_Phillips

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:07 PM

Why didn't you just buy a sport bike? :)

• SFO

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:24 PM

Very nice!
Are those sun rims?
Who lowered your suspension?

• Kermit

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:26 PM

I am with you Phillips...I appreciate the work you have done Team Scream ,but, I just don't get the SuperMotard stuff...I guess if you had money to blow? And why is called motard anyway. I don't want to hurt feelings here, but, the first time I saw supermotard I laughed my ass off. Am I pronouncing motard wrong? And yes I know it is HUGE in Europe and Oz. Most of us (or just me) don't get it. I rather just get a R-1.

• TeamScream

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:40 PM

I have a GSX-R750 that I race at the club level, I do low 1:24's at Willow Springs and low 28's at Laguna Seca, I finished 4th overall in 750 Superbike at Willow Springs last year on my "SuperStock" gixer, it was my rookie season! I can smoke ANYONE through the canyons (Rock Store area) of Southern California when im on my "Motard" they can ride WHATEVER they want! this bike handles the tight stuff better than any R-1 and its also kinda neat to see them back way off when I go past them into a corner full lock sideways with my knee on the ground...and the cool thing is that top speed is less than 100 MPH so I may live a little longer? who knows...anyway it (motard) is a style that is so totaly addicting that once you do it and actually learn the "hack" (sliding into corners on pavement with your feet on the pegs)everything else pales in least in my book! thanks for the comments you guys....I really appreciate it!

• TeamScream

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:42 PM

Heya SFO no those are actually Excell rims, and stainless spokes and nipples

• MotoGreg

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:47 PM

Supermotard is French. It means Superbiker or something like that. The reason they use modified dirt bikes is becasue the races would be a mixture of paved and dirt with a couple small jumps thrown in for good measure. The races they've been having lately here in CA have been in parking lots though, not much dirt and no jumps. Still, you couldn't ride a street bike on these super tight temporary courses.

I'd like to have one, I've had plenty of fast street bikes but the limits are just so high that it's not fun, you can't push them... I couldn't imagine power-sliding the rear around a corner on a big heavy streetbike. I wouldn't want to ride the thing on long rides or on super fast roads but on tighter mountain/canyon roads I think it would be a blast. Plus, just riding around town, you could do whatever you want... jumping curbs, riding down stairs, just imagine the crazy fun you could have! :D :)

They had a race in the parking lot of Anaheim Stadium a couple months ago. Kevin Schwantz ('93 GP world champ) Nicky Hayden (Honda factory Superbike racer/dirtacker) and Larry Pegram (Superbike racer/dirtracker) had so much fun they were laughing their asses off afterwards. They tried to convince the orginizers to let them go out for another race they had so much fun.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:57 PM

You are running a YZ muffler on the street! Holy crap, no wonder other bikes back off when you pass... they aren't used to that type of noise. I'd imagine it won't be long before you get some tickets for the noise. I just put my WR/YZ into street legal dual sport mode and I have a DSP exhaust and when I put the spark arrestor screen in it quieted it down (and softened the power hit :) ) but it's still too loud to ride around on the street.

I'd love to have a KTM 520 with the 6 speed trans for a Supermotard bike!

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: MotoGreg ]

• S_Phillips

Posted April 26, 2002 - 05:00 PM

Hey!!! I'm starting to see the beauty in this after all :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • S_Phillips

Posted April 26, 2002 - 05:02 PM

TeamScream -

With that front brake disk all cut up like that don't you go through a lot of of pads?

• TeamScream

Posted April 26, 2002 - 06:08 PM

Hahahahah! S Phillips ...that is a good one! the rotor is designed like that, it actually allows air to flow between the pads durning hard sustained braking....the caliper/pads are designed specifically for this and so no the wear is not bad actually. MotoGreg, the YZ muffler has not been an issue yet....I live near the beach and there are a lot of Yuppie Harley guys around with bikes that make mine sound like an XL-70 (remember those?) THe suspension was lowered by Circuit1 Suspension, Dave and Pat have so much experience with dirt and street its sick, they have this thing feeling so good its amazing....I highly recommend them!Circuit-1 Suspension check them out....they are absolutely the best suspension guys in the business in my opinion!

• Kermit

Posted April 26, 2002 - 06:09 PM

I said I didn't want to hurt feelings. You wrote that it's a Supermoto ,but, it is really a no means did I mean retard...if you think I was implying this. Most of the euro bikes have a Motard model...I have researched them long before I saw your bike..and yes the racing looks like a lot of fun, it reminds of doing crits on our mountain bikes. Motard just sounds funny, I knew it was some kind of euro thing. The translation is just wierd...thats all. I knew you would get all butt hurt. It is like taking a nice 4X4 and lowering it and slapping slicks on it...which for some damn reason people do. :)

• TeamScream

Posted April 26, 2002 - 06:26 PM

Naw Kermit
no hurt feelings is actually refered to as "SuperMoto" also (do a google search) as far as the "bastardization" you are referring to take a look at alot of the Flat Track guys bikes, the CR450F is a popular bike for that...some guys are running YZ/WR's but those bikes are slammed to the ground basically, commonly referred to as "DTX" the suspension is lowered 4-6 inches and 19" wheels laced up, Nicky Haden ripps on one! its all about personal preference...but certainly no hurt feelings...sorry if I seemed like I was validating myself in the last post....I was just trying to let you know what i had experienced and why I choose this style over a sportbike for my play riding, I dont have to load it up in a truck and drive 1-3 hours to ride it, I have BIG fun ripping around town on it and I can ride it to the canyons and carve the tight stuff on Sundays and then ride it home.....its killer

• Kermit

Posted April 26, 2002 - 06:49 PM

If I had the extra dough... ya never know. At least you don't have to hose mud off her. It does look like a lot of fun. I checked out some racing photos on the Husaberg site. I made my WR street legal so I DO know how fun it is ripping it up on the streets...I do have the stock pipe though, people know I am coming...loud bikes saves lives! :) Do you convert it back? It is so pretty I wouldn't want to. Take back into the dirt..that is. I do like the work you have done I did do the hot rod scene for awhile before I got into the bikes. I just got tired of polishing the damn things. Much nicer (and easier) just playing in the dirt. Riding is riding right?! :D Is there a dual rotor kit for the that would be fricken bad ass!!! I was just at Laguna Seca 5 weeks ago for the Sea Otter race (bicycles)
Snapped my collar bone in half there...almost recovered.
[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Kermit ]

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Kermit ]

• TeamScream

Posted April 26, 2002 - 07:50 PM

Ok Here is the best SuperMoto video available on the net. you have to download and INSTALL the "Divx" codec before it will play: (Get Divx Here)
Then come back and click (THIS VIDEO LINK)and be BLOWN AWAY! enjoy it! you will want to go SuperMoto!

• Guy

Posted April 27, 2002 - 12:44 AM

:) TeamScream, Nice Motard, very nice, I went for the Gold rims, on mine and a round disc not a wavy, but yours looks well, what gearing are you running?? and what size is that rear tyre ?
Powder coating looks superb, it's nice to see someone on your side of the water, relizing that SM is as much fun as a Sports Bike on the right roads ! :D

• Scott_in_KC

Posted April 27, 2002 - 01:50 AM

Wicked bike Team, cool clip, thanks for posting it. :)

Do you have a spreadsheet of what you did & spent? I'm curious mostly about the wheel setup and what needs to be spent to get going with a set. I have seen some SM's that appear to be running mags from GSXR's or the like?

Feel free to PM me with any info.

• TeamScream

Posted April 27, 2002 - 09:52 PM

Hey Guy
Thanks for the comments! I only wish we had world class events like you guys do over there for SM, if you get a chance watch the vide clip i linked here it from the French championship for 2000 and it is absolutely the best SM action I have ever seen, I would really like to know if you can find any videos on your side that show this kind of action, I would gladly pay you a premium for some hot SM videos if you were willing to ship them to me, I cant find any anywhere....and it sucks!
As for the rear tire its a 160, the front is a 120, the forks (including the end caps) are hard anodized black and the swingarm is powder coated.
Let me know about video!

• Guy

Posted April 27, 2002 - 11:21 AM

:) The rest of you guy's should try this ya know!!! :D The feeling when you carve some poor sucker on a Sports Bike, out brake him, go round, under, where ever you want, has to be experianced to be believed :D the only thing they aren't great for is long distance.
AND when you do throw it on the to repair, none of this 2 grand on plastic's nonsense! :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.