swing arm bolt wont move?

11 replies to this topic
  • yzf426rider

Posted March 20, 2008 - 05:58 AM

im trying to get the long bolt out my swing arm so i can take my engine out i have the nut off but the bolt wont move not even if i hit with a hammer. whats the best way to get it out?

• scottp111

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:00 AM

WD-40 might help. Can you turn the bolt with a wrench? If it turns, it will come out.

• yzf426rider

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:08 AM

it does not move. and the nut is off. its like the long bolt is locked and its supposed to slide out ........ it dont lol gggrrrrrr!!

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:26 AM

i had this same problem, all you got to do is hit it with a mallet a couple times and it should start to come out. also try putting your bottom motor mounts back in to lift the front of the motor up just a little so all the presure isent on that one bolt.

good luck

• _JoNeS_

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Becareful not to mushroom the end of the bolt if youre hitting it with a metal hammer mate. As said previously keep trying to spray wd40 inside the holes. Maybe if you know someone with an impact wrench to shock it a bit, its the dirt and dried grease being left in for a long time which causes them to seize, I had one stuck in my cr250, I had to cut up the swingarm to get it out(swingarm was being replaced anyway)

• jj546

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Get a piece of brass to put against the threaded end and hit it with the biggest hammer you can swing. The less times you have to hit it, the less damage you will do to the bolt. A thread file or grinding the damaged end to a taper should save your bolt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheeldude

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:37 PM

Instead of WD40, try a penatrating spray like PB Blaster. They are designed to help loosen frozen parts. Also, do NOT hit directly on the bolt, or you will mushroom it and play hell getting out if it does move. Get a BRASS drift the size of the bolt, and smack the crap out of it, spray more penatrating lube amd repeat until it breaks loose. WD

• Birdy426

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:31 PM

=1 on the PB blaster...occasionally, the bearing races and bolt or the steel bushings in the case and the bolt rust together. Pb Blaster is the best there is for breaking this crap free. Also, brass punch on the bolt is a good call to keep from mushrooming the threads.

• yzf426rider

Posted March 20, 2008 - 09:24 PM

putting the bottem moutns back on and wd and hammer sorted it THANKS EVERYONE i used all you help, dam i love this site :confused::D

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:36 PM

putting the bottem moutns back on and wd and hammer sorted it THANKS EVERYONE i used all you help, dam i love this site :excuseme::D

:confused:

• todds924

Posted March 22, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Instead of WD40, try a penatrating spray like PB Blaster. They are designed to help loosen frozen parts. Also, do NOT hit directly on the bolt, or you will mushroom it and play hell getting out if it does move. Get a BRASS drift the size of the bolt, and smack the crap out of it, spray more penatrating lube amd repeat until it breaks loose. WD

+3 on the PB blaster. Use that and some heat. I have had to fix some of those that were really stuck and rusted in there. Worse case scenario you are going to need a new bolt and swingarm bearings anyway..I've had to use an air hammer to get the shaft to move before. Try the heat and pb blaster first.

• sean3239

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:56 PM

Just had that happen on my 06 450. It wouldn't budge and I almost tore up the end of the bolt and frame hitting on it with a hammer. What I did, I sprayed it good with penetrating oil, went to hardware story and bought about a 2.5 inch bolt that will fit into the nut. I put the nut on the stuck bolt and threaded it to about half way (half way on nut). I took the bolt just bought and threaded it into the other end of nut until it contacts the stuck bolt. Now, I know its perfectly lined up so all force will go into stuck bolt rather than missing and dinging up frame or off center hits on stuck bolt damaging threads etc :excuseme: it started to move after a few good whacks and then I was able to twist it out from the other side. :confused:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.