Edelbrock question

21 replies to this topic
  • BBA

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:27 AM

I know there have been a thousand post on the Edel carb but I was wondering if a few of you fellows with the same mods as my bike or close to it could tell me where you found the best results for your XRR from that carb in your set up? I have a huge flat spot right off of idle and if you blip the throttle it will die. I dont know where the settings are at present because the carb was on the bike when I bought it and it never has felt really strong right off the bottom like it should. My mods are Full Akro exhaust and open air box. My valves are spot on and I only run 91 octane gas in it. I've never tried to set up one of the Edel's before and I've read alot where people say the owners manual advice sucks so I figured I'd ask people who knows where to get the best results out of it! Thanks for any help

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:22 AM

Take off the tank and seat, and check the needle setting: You should buy the adjustable needle knob if you dont already have one, as it makes adjusting easy (once the tank is off)

I use the # 19 needle, 27 clicks out clockwise (richer).
I adjusted the accelerator pump with a 15 degree turn for 'more pump' (clockwise) from stock. That's the screw/nut thing on the side of the float bowl.

Does the bike have 'decel pop'? If no, turn the needle counter clockwise a few clicks at a time, until you get some, then turn it back back two clicks until it is gone. That is the easiest method I have found to find the 'sweet spot'. I am no expert, but mine now runs consistent, clean, and snappy.

• BBA

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Damn Krannie your good my friend! 27 clicks out on the needle and 18 degree turn on the pump (it liked it a little richer than 15 degrees) and it runs the best it ever has since I have owned it! I do all my own upkeep on my bikes and I was just dreading messing with the Edel since I have never owned one before but its actually a pretty simple set up once you have someone to get the settings in the general ballpark. Thanks again and you have a place to hang your helment & drink free beer if your ever in Vegas!:confused:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2008 - 05:40 PM

Damn Krannie your good my friend! 27 clicks out on the needle and 18 degree turn on the pump (it liked it a little richer than 15 degrees) and it runs the best it ever has since I have owned it! I do all my own upkeep on my bikes and I was just dreading messing with the Edel since I have never owned one before but its actually a pretty simple set up once you have someone to get the settings in the general ballpark. Thanks again and you have a place to hang your helment & drink free beer if your ever in Vegas!:confused:

18 degrees, eh? What did you experience by going farther, I am curious.

You are welcome for the info, but I have to say it is just from what I have gleemed from this forum over that last several months. Hell, I never liked the way Barnums set up my first XRR/Edlebrock, and was also dreading the endless tank removal/clicking ritual. But following advice of others on this forum, I was able to get the bike running decent the first time I put the edle on the new XRR, no problem. After making changes in exhaust, intake flow, and recently a new header, I have been able to be confident in popping off the tank and going leaner or richer, a click here and there, and get great results. Now I need (yes, need) the HRC kit. Only $1500.00!!

• BBA

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:31 PM

I played around with the accel.pump adjustment for a while and found that at about 18 degrees the throttle was very crisp and snappy . Im going to ride it this weekend and then check the plug to see how its burning. My daughter was very pleased for she got her first motorcycle ride on the XR today around the driveway. She wanted me to post this pic to show you how pleased she was that you helped her "Pa" get his pig running smooth! Posted Image

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:34 PM

I played around with the accel.pump adjustment for a while and found that at about 18 degrees the throttle was very crisp and snappy . Im going to ride it this weekend and then check the plug to see how its burning. My daughter was very pleased for she got her first motorcycle ride on the XR today around the driveway. She wanted me to post this pic to show you how pleased she was that you helped her "Pa" get his pig running smooth! Posted Image

She looks very pleased with your tuning.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:37 PM

HAHA! Nice pic. Get 'em started early!:confused:

• resurrection

Posted March 20, 2008 - 09:57 PM

One of my tricks that I have not heard on this forum is using the Inrichener to test jetting issues .
Alot of people don't understand how this thing works .
It is not a choke even as the lever may say.
When having carb issues try pulling lever this will tell you alot about you fuel ratio .
I know this is not about the E brock but works well on stock carb.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:35 AM

One of my tricks that I have not heard on this forum is using the Inrichener to test jetting issues .
Alot of people don't understand how this thing works .
It is not a choke even as the lever may say.
When having carb issues try pulling lever this will tell you alot about you fuel ratio .
I know this is not about the E brock but works well on stock carb.

The Edelbrock Quicksilver carb that goes on the XR650R does not have an enricher/choke.

• asf

Posted March 21, 2008 - 01:55 PM

I had to order a 16. The 17 was too rich and the 15 too lean. I think I am 4 clicks out from full rich. I run a wiseco and stg. 1 cam, stock bore. I dyno tuned mine, so I know the AF ratio is spot on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:27 PM

I had to order a 16. The 17 was too rich and the 15 too lean. I think I am 4 clicks out from full rich. I run a wiseco and stg. 1 cam, stock bore. I dyno tuned mine, so I know the AF ratio is spot on.

Dyno? Isn't that wide open throttle torque computed to HP? What about the rest of the throttle openings?

• asf

Posted March 22, 2008 - 09:49 AM

On the dyno, you can also look at A:F Ratio. There is a stoichiometric target that you want to reach. You make sure you are there for all the adjustable circuits, ie 1/3, 2/3, WOT. Then you start to adjust the settings higher and lower since a handful of settings will let you preserve your A:F ratio. On the edelbrock it is very easy, just turn the wheel up one, run it. Turn it ip 1 more, run it again. Then go back down and explore that range without it running too rich or too lean. Always err richer than leaner in my book, but you generally keep the bike on the setting that makes the most HP.

That said every bike will run off a different setting even if both are stock, or both have the same exact mods. Best to use other people's settings as starting points.

• gestenta

Posted May 05, 2008 - 08:39 AM

I have been searching for the optimal setting for the Edelbrock on a 2001 XR650R. I read a post indicating the setting for the red knob on top being 4 clicks from full rich. Which is full rich? With the knob all the screwed down, or up?

I am running the power up kit from HRC with stock exhaust and everything else is stock. Thanks.

• Agent2

Posted May 05, 2008 - 09:07 AM

I have been searching for the optimal setting for the Edelbrock on a 2001 XR650R. I read a post indicating the setting for the red knob on top being 4 clicks from full rich. Which is full rich? With the knob all the screwed down, or up?

Turning the knob to the right is rich, left is lean.

• Thumpage

Posted May 05, 2008 - 11:30 AM

As Agent2 is elluding to, the Edelbrock is tuned starting from the richest setting. Which is clockwise all the way 'in' and then you back out the knob counter clockwise and count the clicks 'out' from there. I will go a step further...

...Some of you guys like [Krannie] are counting your clicks and stating your advise from the full lean position That is just not correct. You are confusing guys that are asking for advise.
If you look at the Edelbrock manual it states starting from the full rich position. Starting from the richest click position is how you guys should be expressing your advise. This is regardless of whether you are disclosing your personal method of starting from the leanest click setting.
While some of us familiar with the Edelbrock can distinguish the difference of what you are talking about, it merely confuses things for the guys that are just getting to know this carb. They end up talking about it the same way and compounds the same problem when other 'newbies' read this forum. :eek:
Stick with the **proper** way of refering to tuning the needle adjustment knob and maybe even start tuning yours that way as well. Again this means **[starting from the full rich position = clicking all the way 'in' first, meaning 'clockwise', then start clicking out and counting the clicks from there].**
:p :applause:

In the Edelbrock manual, the recommended starting point is *"12 clicks out from full rich"*.

• gestenta

Posted May 05, 2008 - 12:56 PM

Wow. Thanks for the prompt, clear, and precise posts.

I will definitely check the settings.

The other thing I am seeing is the bike does not seem to idle. So, I crank up the idle a little and give it a little gas to prevent it from stalling. Then it idles high for about 10 seconds before it settles down. Just got it back from Edelbrock. In the past it always ran great and ideled great too.

I also emailed a tech that I have been communicating with at Edelbrock who has been very helpful. I will see what he comes back with. Thanks again.

• Agent2

Posted May 05, 2008 - 03:02 PM

The other thing I am seeing is the bike does not seem to idle. So, I crank up the idle a little and give it a little gas to prevent it from stalling. Then it idles high for about 10 seconds before it settles down.

I have been talking with some other guys running pumpers and it seems that the accelerator pump can hang up causing the slow idle down syndrome.
If you get a chance, to see if that's the problem, remove the pump linkage - just a small cotter pin, and see if the problem persists.
Also, in the bottom of the float bowl is this perforated plastic material, I'm guessing to reduce fuel slosh. I am thinking that under bizarre circumstances that stuff can interfere with the needle fully seating. Some guys just take the stuff out. I have never done this, so not sure if there are any bad side effects.

• Erwin8r

Posted May 07, 2008 - 10:43 AM

It's been my experience that it is the throttle cable, or more precisely, it's routing, that causes the slow-return-to idle problems... I just mounted a Quiksliver on a friend's 400EX (I know, I know...), and this was the case with his as well.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 07, 2008 - 05:39 PM

I added a nice Home Depot spring to the linkage, and now it is perfect.

• Agent2

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I added a nice Home Depot spring to the linkage, and now it is perfect.

Krannie, what, where, how? Pictures, diagrams por favor. Or come on over, I'm only 5 minutes away, just made a pitcher of Margarita's...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.