Cost To Replace A Piston On 07 Yzf 450

32 replies to this topic
  • vw127

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Didn't think you could negotiate price at a dealership

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:48 PM

We would also replace the valves for that. There would be an extra charge of .5 to cut some valve seats if needed. Once the head is ready to go back on the motor, it takes no time at all to verify and adjust valves on the bench. My boss's reasoning on all this is "You have it all taken apart anyway", not that i totally agree but it is a gravy job. The thing about the yz's is I don't ever recall having to do anything to the valve seats.....The CRF's on the other hand.....I bought some special cutters just for those heads.

You wouldn't really replace a valve without refinishing the seat, now, would you?

• todds924

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:10 PM

You wouldn't really replace a valve without refinishing the seat, now, would you?

NEVER. Never have and never would. I don't know if your familiar with the new valve keeper installing tools???? Long gone is the old "c" clamp valve spring compressors. Of all the tools i have ever used, this is the biggest time saving one of them all. But to answer your question about cutting the valve seats.....The shop has the special sizes for the YZ's....I bought a set just for the CRF's because thats the only modern 4 stroke heads that need work. Its about 150 heads to one...CRF VS. YZ. Complete top ends take me 2 hours...start to finish and thats also disassembling the head to check the valves for dishing. Are you familiar at all with the cam and valve spring recall Honda had on the Crf 150's. I have done about 50 of those. Honda flat rate is 3.1 hours. I have a way to do it in 45 minutes...ask me about it sometime.

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:23 PM

I have done about 50 of those. Honda flat rate is 3.1 hours. I have a way to do it in 45 minutes...ask me about it sometime.

That would be by using air pressure in the cylinder to hold the valves up while you remove the springs with a suitable tool, right?

• todds924

Posted March 24, 2008 - 02:37 PM

That would be by using air pressure in the cylinder to hold the valves up while you remove the springs with a suitable tool, right?

You got it! With "THE" TOOL. I use an adapter from my compression tester set. Needless to say i have a drawerful of CRF 150 head gaskets that i didn't have to use. They were just replacing the intake valve springs and the camshaft.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 04:19 PM

That's SOP in the car bidness. You don't get paid to pull the heads just to change the valve seals, though. :excuseme:

But if you do...:confused: :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • biznet1

Posted March 25, 2008 - 04:23 PM

You got it! With "THE" TOOL. I use an adapter from my compression tester set. Needless to say i have a drawerful of CRF 150 head gaskets that i didn't have to use. They were just replacing the intake valve springs and the camshaft.

Asking Greyracer a question like that is like asking if there is cheese on a Dorito. He's a freak of nature with gears that turn his brain around at night while he reads stinking service manuals and sips 5W/40 to go to sleep. Dam I love reading his posts! It's better than the vulcan mind meld, seriously. **smile**

• todds924

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:22 PM

Asking Greyracer a question like that is like asking if there is cheese on a Dorito. He's a freak of nature with gears that turn his brain around at night while he reads stinking service manuals and sips 5W/40 to go to sleep. Dam I love reading his posts! It's better than the vulcan mind meld, seriously. **smile**

I have had the pleasure of meeting the man....and his son. They do make "plain" doritos by the way.

• dwnlowx

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Well I Get My Bike Back On Friday And I Ended Up Doing A 12.5 Piston ,hotcams ,and New Bigger Valve Springs . Eventually I Will Get A New Adjustable Computer Box And Ditch The I Cat .

How Much Power Do You Guys Think Ill Have Now

OH YEAH IT WAS 1525 DOLLARS OUT THE DOOR

• KJ790

Posted March 26, 2008 - 12:05 PM

Well I Get My Bike Back On Friday And I Ended Up Doing A 12.5 Piston ,hotcams ,and New Bigger Valve Springs . Eventually I Will Get A New Adjustable Computer Box And Ditch The I Cat .

How Much Power Do You Guys Think Ill Have Now

OH YEAH IT WAS 1525 DOLLARS OUT THE DOOR

Holy crap! IMO you should find a new shop or learn to do it yourself. I'm assuming you paid retail on the parts since you got them from a dealership so it was probably between $600 and $700 for parts assuming you went with an expensive brand of piston. Even at that it is a 3 hour job so that's around $300 an hour labor rate! That is rediculous.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 26, 2008 - 12:17 PM

please for the love of the DirtBike Gods....no one ask what brand 5W/40......:prof: :bonk:

• BASSic

Posted March 26, 2008 - 12:39 PM

I bought a set just for the CRF's because thats the only modern 4 stroke heads that need work. Its about 150 heads to one...CRF VS. YZ.

I hear a lot of talk about this. What's the reason? Does Honda intentionally do this to make money selling replacement parts?

I've never owned a Honda bike, just a 1985 250SX three wheeler that is still running, and a 400EX which ran great even after trashing it at Glamis and not changing the oil enough. What's the issue with their liquid cooled 4 strokes?

I know that every bikes have issues here and there, but I've read many comments about the CRFs and their valve problems, and have also heard the same thing from several friends who have owned CRFs. I'm reluctant to buy a Honda CRF because of these reports. In the past, I've stayed away from Suzuki and Kawasaki completely, and now I'm left questioning Hondas, so it looks like I'll have to stay on the blue side (though I admit that Kawasaki's new bikes are changing my mind, and the fuel injected RMZ has my interest).

• todds924

Posted March 26, 2008 - 07:56 PM

I hear a lot of talk about this. What's the reason? Does Honda intentionally do this to make money selling replacement parts?

I've never owned a Honda bike, just a 1985 250SX three wheeler that is still running, and a 400EX which ran great even after trashing it at Glamis and not changing the oil enough. What's the issue with their liquid cooled 4 strokes?

I know that every bikes have issues here and there, but I've read many comments about the CRFs and their valve problems, and have also heard the same thing from several friends who have owned CRFs. I'm reluctant to buy a Honda CRF because of these reports. In the past, I've stayed away from Suzuki and Kawasaki completely, and now I'm left questioning Hondas, so it looks like I'll have to stay on the blue side (though I admit that Kawasaki's new bikes are changing my mind, and the fuel injected RMZ has my interest).

Everything 05 and before were garbage. <Cyl. Heads>. The 06 -08 are better but still have there problems. You can't go wrong with a YZ or KXF 450. Be aware of the Suzukis...There is a reason they were released so late...PROBLEMS

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.