Cost To Replace A Piston On 07 Yzf 450

32 replies to this topic
  • dwnlowx

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:26 PM

My 07 Was Having Some Starting Issues It Felt Like It Was Losing Compression I Took It To The Shop And They Said It Was Loosing Compression Once It Warmed Up

Well The Bill Is Like 740 Dollars
Thats For A Je Piston High Comp,a Gasket Set ,oil, Coolant,rejet,
New Plug , Maybe A Valve Adjustment

Let Me Me No If Im Just Being Raped Or If These Are Normal Prices

Thanks

• BergArabia

Posted March 19, 2008 - 10:00 PM

My 07 Was Having Some Starting Issues It Felt Like It Was Losing Compression I Took It To The Shop And They Said It Was Loosing Compression Once It Warmed Up

Thanks

I paid about that much 2 years ago for new piston and cylinder because I stupidly did not have enough torque on the drain bolt.
Parts were piston, rings, gaskets and cylinder.
Included leakdown test. And check of bearings etc.

But labor is quite cheap here. So probably labor made up a bigger component of your bill.

• biznet1

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:04 AM

Thanks

It sounds a little steep to me. Check the service manual for the hours required for the job and compare it to their hourly rates with the difference of the cost of parts. They shouldn't charge you more than the time specified for the job.

• rfelker

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:24 AM

I wouldn't pay that. Piston 200.00 max. And thats for gaskets. And you can install it your self. Its not that hard. If you can replace a 2 stroke you can replace a 4 stroke. The manual will walk you though it. And if problems just ask on here. Someone will help out.

• KJ790

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:34 AM

I put a piston in my 250F this winter and it cost me $150 in parts and about 2 hours of time (maybe 3 at most). OEM parts are cheap and last well. I think $700 sounds real steep, even if you are buying a more expensive piston.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Shop labor is most likely what's driving the cost so high. I think that is a little steep for a piston, rings, gaskets install. If it includes a valve check/adjust, I can believe it. Don't forget that dealers really mark up parts prices as well.

• 525rider

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:04 AM

Thanks

Have you checked the valves?

• KJ790

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:51 AM

Shop labor is most likely what's driving the cost so high. I think that is a little steep for a piston, rings, gaskets install. If it includes a valve check/adjust, I can believe it. Don't forget that dealers really mark up parts prices as well.

If you are changing the piston then you already have the valve cover off and at least one cam out. This means a valve check would take less than a minute and even a valve adjustment would take under 5 minutes. I think $700 is way too much. Even if $300 is parts, that is still about $130 an hour, maybe more for labor rate. Most places around here are between $65-$80 an hour for labor.

• jacob293

Posted March 21, 2008 - 02:23 PM

parts should cost $200 max. Do in youself it easy and save $500.

• SXP

Posted March 21, 2008 - 03:15 PM

Thanks

To a DIYer like me, $740 is outright rape!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kent Rathgeber

Posted March 21, 2008 - 03:21 PM

If you are changing the piston then you already have the valve cover off and at least one cam out. This means a valve check would take less than a minute and even a valve adjustment would take under 5 minutes. I think $700 is way too much. Even if $300 is parts, that is still about $130 an hour, maybe more for labor rate. Most places around here are between $65-$80 an hour for labor.

Oh, I agree 100%. I said I can SEE it, not that it was fair or right!!! Don't forget, dealers go by the time quoted in their (what the hell do they call it?) shop manuals. I think that he's getting screwed, but if he can't do it himself (or doesn't have the tools or knowledge), what's he gonna do??

• almostinvincible119

Posted March 22, 2008 - 06:16 AM

ripped...i get shit at cost. but the piston kit is about 100 bucks...and i know oil is going up ...

but DAYUM

• mbaird

Posted March 22, 2008 - 06:20 AM

Now why is it I ride a 2t??? Oh yeah I remember !

• todds924

Posted March 22, 2008 - 05:40 PM

Out here we get 240.00 for the labor on that...3 hours. That also includes any valve work that might be needed.

• mmbasa

Posted March 22, 2008 - 07:03 PM

Where is the best place to order OEM kits?

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2008 - 09:30 PM

That also includes any valve work that might be needed.

Only in terms of clearance corrections, right?

• DPW

Posted March 22, 2008 - 09:33 PM

Where is the best place to order OEM kits?

I use the thumper talk store if the local dealer won't deal...

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

• mxracer206

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:40 AM

Ok guys, you are giving an opinion without even seeimg the work order. First of all the cheapest high comp piston for a YZ-450 is pushing $200 alone and you do not know the other services done. Everyone is not a DIY'er and what else was done? If they did a timing chain the left side comes off and a good shop would have a turn key job, clean air filter, oil and filter change, run the valves and he already said re-jet. You really can't tell this guy he paid to much without all this info and knowing exactly how the job was handled.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hate to be the one that pee's into everyones wheaties but, :confused:
I am not convinced yet that you need a top end.
Are you the original owner?
How many hrs are on the bike?
Do you change the oil religiously?
Sounds to me the smart thing would be to check the valves first or have these checked - hard starting is not typically a symptom of the need for a new top end, power loss is and......unless smoke is bellowing out of the pipe - rings.
It (hard starting)is however a first symptom that the valves need adjusting.
And finally yes 700 bucks is way too much for what you are wanting.....Tell the stealership to do it for 500 (times are tough and negotiation is your best friend)and you are getting a more reasonable cost or better yet find a reputable tuner in you area and have him/her do it even cheaper or do it yourself -

• todds924

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:22 PM

Only in terms of clearance corrections, right?

We would also replace the valves for that. There would be an extra charge of .5 to cut some valve seats if needed. Once the head is ready to go back on the motor, it takes no time at all to verify and adjust valves on the bench. My boss's reasoning on all this is "You have it all taken apart anyway", not that i totally agree but it is a gravy job. The thing about the yz's is I don't ever recall having to do anything to the valve seats.....The CRF's on the other hand.....I bought some special cutters just for those heads.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.