Cheapo rear disc guard

12 replies to this topic
  • Wild Turkey

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:00 PM

When I bought my used L about 3 months ago I didn't know much about motorcycles, since then I have learned a ton about my bike and I have slowly been going through it looking for problems. I have been putting quite a bit of money into it since the moment I bought it, and I have learned that these things are money pits LOL.

So far I have performed an oil change, put on new turn signals, new tail light, new tool bag, all new chain sliders and guides (chain was digging into swingarm). I have also purchased a 4 gallon IMS tank, new jets, smog block off kit, stuff for Dave's mods, and am getting ready to purchase a new muffler (I still can't decide between the FMF Q2 and the WB XCR).

Let's just say that my wife isn't too impressed with all of the cool stuff I'm getting for the bike, women just don't understand. I noticed when I bought the bike that my rear plastic disc rotor guard was broken so I looked at my options and realized that I didn't want to pay 50 bucks for a little aluminum guard, and I didn't want to put another cheesy plastic one on either. So I picked up some scrap 1/4" aluminum from work and made one for a friend and I. I also plan on making a rear rack for our bikes too in the near future.

Here's how they turned out:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I figure that I just added 2 horse power to my bike with this. :confused:

• jdubb75

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:08 PM

Nothing like the satisfaction of making parts yourself. Looks good! :confused:

I also have a lot of machining equipment at my disposal where I work and have been looking to make some custom parts for my ride. I think you just gave me an idea for my first piece. Nothing cooler than fabbing your own stuff. :excuseme:

BTW - with those custom anti turbulance, weight reduction holes I'd say you will feel at least a 5hp gain!

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:30 PM

Nothing like the satisfaction of making parts yourself. Looks good! :confused:

I also have a lot of machining equipment at my disposal where I work and have been looking to make some custom parts for my ride. I think you just gave me an idea for my first piece. Nothing cooler than fabbing your own stuff. :excuseme:

BTW - with those custom anti turbulance, weight reduction holes I'd say you will feel at least a 5hp gain!

Thanks J, I used a hole saw, sawzall, and bead blaster on mine. I'm sure yours will turn out much nicer using machining equipment. I was trying to be a little modest with my stated HP gain, yes it does feel like I gained 5 horse. :excuseme:

• Denn10

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:07 AM

i know its fun to make stuff but i just opted for the $40 from XRS only. dont have access to a flow jet so i figured id just but that one, plus its anodized and stuff already. homemade custom stuff is always the best.

• sploogemonkey

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thanks J, I used a hole saw, sawzall, and bead blaster on mine. I'm sure yours will turn out much nicer using machining equipment.

Home cooked fab parts. :confused: :excuseme: :excuseme:

Don't leave me alone with a piece of aluminum in my garage!

You're mighty fancy using a sawzall, though. I prefer my tree branch saw, personally:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:08 AM

You're mighty fancy using a sawzall, though. I prefer my tree branch saw, personally:thumbsup:

Posted Image

At least you picked the right tool for the job!:sweden:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wild Turkey

Posted March 20, 2008 - 09:08 AM

LMAO, that's awesome. :sweden:

• Denn10

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:30 PM

you trying to cut down a christmas three with that saw there Paul Bunyan??

Posted Image

[COLOR="Red"]JET YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS PIC!!!![/COLOR]

• Denn10

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:30 PM

LMAO thats almost a spittin image of him!! ROFLMAO your name is Bunyan now buddy!!!!!

• xrltim

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:22 PM

I did the exact same thing a few years ago for my 650L. It now has quite a few dings in it but is doing it's job perfectly.

• ryanxr

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:56 AM

Say what tail light is that exactly I am looking to get that one as soon as I now where to buy it thanks, Also I really do like your guard and I plan on making one for my self.

• smicer

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:24 AM

that's looks great...:prof:

• Wild Turkey

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Say what tail light is that exactly I am looking to get that one as soon as I now where to buy it thanks, Also I really do like your guard and I plan on making one for my self.

Thanks Ryan. I purchased the taillight and turn signals from procycle, here's a link to the page you will need. http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm
The light is the WPS dual sport taillight, procycle had them to me in two days. :prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.