melted airbox!!!

8 replies to this topic
  • Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 19, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Background: Bike hasn't been started in about 5 months. I had knee surgery last year which prevented me from doing any riding. So I fire it up tonight, took about half hour to get it to run, sort of. It sounds like poo, pops shoots flames out the exhaust and stalls out. I am attributing the running problems to old crappy gas.

Now here is the Question. After it "ran", I noticed smoke steadily rising from either side of the side plates. Upon removal I noticed the exhaust had melted the airbox. The exhaust and airbox are both stock. Never had this prob before. Now what would cause that and also, should I replace the airbox?? Not a large hole, but still a melted hole. The bike is an 06' 450. thanks.

• stroker101

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:17 PM

drain the old fuel and pour in some fresh fuel. see if this doesn't help with the popping. as for the hole, if your not too concerned with looks, patch it.
keep us up dated.

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:29 PM

thanks, I was concerned about water and crap getting into the airbox. For $100 I can get a new airbox assembly. I am going up to Hunter Motorcycles tomorrow and see what they have to say. I will keep you updated and post some pics tomorrow.

• KJ790

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:49 PM

If it was running fine 5 months ago then the popping was most likely caused by lean jetting as it is colder around there than it was 5 months ago. Was the exhaust touching the airbox where it melted?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:58 PM

nope. The exhaust and airbox are stock. Never had a problem. bought bike new. Should I pull the carb and see if the fuel gummed up. I don't see how it could in such a short time. I did forget to use sta-bil. Supposed to go riding saturday at ace. Hopefully I can make it.

• todds924

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:06 PM

nope. The exhaust and airbox are stock. Never had a problem. bought bike new. Should I pull the carb and see if the fuel gummed up. I don't see how it could in such a short time. I did forget to use sta-bil. Supposed to go riding saturday at ace. Hopefully I can make it.

The gas we get nowadays turns to varnish in as little as 3 weeks. If it sat for 6 months you need a carb clean for sure. I'm kinda amazed it even started. If i am not going to race for more than 2 weeks. i always just pull my pilot jet out and clean it. Its always a little clogged up even after a couple weeks.

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Just a quick update. I dropped the bike off at the shop. My guy there said that he never saw something like that before. Hopefully the factory will replace the airbox at no charge. I doubt it. lets see what happens.

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted March 29, 2008 - 10:34 PM

Just a quick update for anyone who cares. I got my bike back, the factory covered the cost of the airbox. It turned out that the bike ran to lean and that caused the exhaust to get to hot and melt the airbox and rear fender. So make sure your ride runs right. Safe riding.

• MaxPower

Posted March 30, 2008 - 11:36 AM

[COLOR="Green"]Im glad they covered you
For the life of me, I cant believe the factory covered that.They are ususually tough to get free parts out of even if its the fault of the design of the bike.
You must have a good dealer.[/COLOR]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.