trading in a wr450 for yzf450

7 replies to this topic
  • jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 19, 2008 - 08:46 AM

im thinking of selling or trading my wr450 to go to a yzf450. anyone done this? any thoughts or opionions? :confused: :excuseme:

main reason, weight and low end gearing. i did switch to a 13 fr sprock. and prefer it over stock for desert riding but the weight thing is hard to get over....:excuseme: :sweden:

• dugabrams

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:19 AM

I think the biggest questions are exactly what kind of riding do you do and how much do you want electric start?

• WGP

Posted March 19, 2008 - 11:02 AM

I switched from an 05WR to 06YZ, the only thing that bugs me is the YZ tranny is close ratio and therefore 1st gear on the YZ feels like WR 2nd (you must use the clutch, I hardly used the clutch on My WR) and YZ 5th feels like WR 4th.
The YZ has smaller radiators as well which isn't good for the tight stuff. I checked the YZ radiators last night and they were almost dry from one ride in really slow rocks. I never had a problem with the WR rads (ever!) always full and reserve to boot.

Besides those 2 things the YZ is really a better bike for aggressive riding/racing/jumping.
Kicking it kinda sucks but not as bad as I thought (starts 1st or 2nd time usually)
The weight is noticeable and the suspension is :confused: :excuseme:

• 234gearwheelie

Posted March 19, 2008 - 01:53 PM

I had a wr426 and later bought a yzf450 03, i found the exact same thing as wgp it felt like 1st gear was missing on the damn thing and you were taking tight corners in second all the time,how does anyone do a tight hare scramble through a forest on a yzf450,incidently i bought my old wr426 back to replace the yzf :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 20, 2008 - 12:41 PM

very interesting input.
what made me think to do this is i put a 13 on the front and now it is geared a little closer to the yzf, except without the suspension and power???

i ride mainly desert, and tight woods mtn trails. track time is fun as hell though.

• RAZ227

Posted March 20, 2008 - 05:40 PM

im thinking of selling or trading my wr450 to go to a yzf450. anyone done this? any thoughts or opionions? :confused: :excuseme:

main reason, weight and low end gearing. i did switch to a 13 fr sprock. and prefer it over stock for desert riding but the weight thing is hard to get over....:excuseme: :sweden:

Funny you should ask this question. I have a 07 WR 450 and love the thing. Recently, I had it being looked over b/c of the irratic stalling. (beather hose come to find out) My mechanic loaned me his back up track bike (CRF450R... I know, it's not a YZ, but still) for 2 days and before this I hated to ride them. Not very fun on the single track because of the reving/gearing and stiffness. To my surprise, I had a blast on it. The sucker rips and takes whoops like no tomorrow. The bike was so light I was able to toss it everywhere I wanted. Also, the bike started easy on the first kick. and never stalled the thing in 2 days of riding. The downside (for me) was the stiffness and feathering the clutch thoughout the day.
Anyhow, just me .02:thumbsup:

Good luck in your venture!!

• Old Man Rider

Posted March 20, 2008 - 09:30 PM

So RAZ227 which bike would you prefer if you can only have 1? I still debate whether the WR450 is the best bike for me - it would be great to have both a hardcore MX and a trail bike. It's really hard to know which one to choose is you can only have 1 - unless you can spend time on each. I would hate to sell my WR only to find that it is the perfect bike. the grass isn't always greener...

• RAZ227

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:36 AM

So RAZ227 which bike would you prefer if you can only have 1? I still debate whether the WR450 is the best bike for me - it would be great to have both a hardcore MX and a trail bike. It's really hard to know which one to choose is you can only have 1 - unless you can spend time on each. I would hate to sell my WR only to find that it is the perfect bike. the grass isn't always greener...

Hey OMR!! Here's my deal: I only ride desert single track. What kind of riding do you do? When I got my bike almost a yr ago, I hated the front end on the thing. Yamaha's (as far as the WR's) have a tendency to push on the front end. It took me a while to finally dial in the front end. I raised the forks in the triples and got rid of the front tire (went to Maxxis) and it worked. The bike turns on a dime. :confused: The WR is really awesome. I had the suspension re-done, bike uncorked, piped/jetted and the thing is snappy and rips. Yes, the bike is somewhat heavy at times, but it's really no big deal for me. (I'm 5-11 and wt is 188.) For the last 2 mos or so, I've been looking for a nice 06-07 YZ250F to have as my backup/playbike. I want to have that extra lite bike (with less power) to toss around and have the suspension redone a little softer than the YZ, but not too much. This to me is the best of both worlds. Yamaha's have great motors and they're bullet proof if you take care of them. ( just had the valves checked for the 1st time and they're dead on) I ride about 2-3 times a week. Anyhow, I really think you need 2 bikes to float your boat. There's always going to be a compromise if you choose only one bike. For 3-4 grand you can have your cake and eat it too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.