Quietest silencer and best pipe for woods? YZ 125 06

17 replies to this topic
  • the jayman

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:02 AM

I just purchased a used 06 YZ 125. My plan is to use it mostly as a practise bike for MX, but I will also try it in enduros and hare scrambles which is my main race scene. We have a sound tests in our races and I would like to know what is the quietest silencer available for YZ 125? FMF Q maybe? I will also need a back up pipe for the stocker, what is the most stock like aftermarket pipe or best for the woods use? I have noticed that Gnarly and Platinum 2 are not available for 125's.

• shrubitup

Posted March 19, 2008 - 11:32 AM

The Q is allegedly the quietest but the one I had was no quieter than OEM. I have a TC2 now which is quieter than both.

I don't think there is a pipe available for 125s and woods use (torque emphasis). The 2003 Dirt Rider pipe shootout has some good picks which include the FMF Fatty and the Pro Circuit works (platinum is same pipe with special finish). They said the PC was best for low end but this was in 2003.:confused:

http://www.dirtrider...test/index.html

• the jayman

Posted March 19, 2008 - 11:35 PM

Previous owner had PC Works pipe as a spare and according to him experience it moved the power to the upper range and made the bike more difficult to ride. Maybe the best option as a spare pipe is to buy a second stocker.

We do not need SA's here so every silencer is an option. Have you measured the TC2?

• shrubitup

Posted March 19, 2008 - 11:39 PM

Previous owner had PC Works pipe as a spare and according to him experience it moved the power to the upper range and made the bike more difficult to ride. Maybe the best option as a spare pipe is to buy a second stocker.

We do not need SA's here so every silencer is an option. Have you measured the TC2?

No, haven't measured it but on my 250 is sticks out about 1.5 inches from the side panel. Looks nice to me.

Throw that PC on there to be sure of the results and then either buy an FMF Fatty or a stocker.

• the jayman

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Do you know how close to the stock pipe the FMF Fatty is in power band wise?

• shrubitup

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Do you know how close to the stock pipe the FMF Fatty is in power band wise?

Here's what Dirt Rider magazine said in '03:

FMF Fatty with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: A Comments: The Fatty produces a crisp throttle along the way to its award-winning enhanced mid. Up top the power keeps building and wants to rev further than stock and most of the other systems available. One of our two pro test riders marked this system as his favorite.

So, more mid and more top end plus more revs. It doesn't sound stock-ish to me.

• the jayman

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:33 AM

But that's for the '03. '06 has quite different motor and I don't know if they have changed the Fatty design since '03.

• rpt50

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:33 AM

The Q silencer does not do a lot compared to stock on my suzuki 125, and it sticks out so far that you can't grab the fender to lift the bike, which is a problem for off-road riding/racing.

• shrubitup

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:22 AM

The Q silencer does not do a lot compared to stock on my suzuki 125, and it sticks out so far that you can't grab the fender to lift the bike, which is a problem for off-road riding/racing.

That's why you should buy the Turbine Core 2 instead. The Q is no quieter in my opinion. The TC2 is much shorter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baby arm holding apple

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:45 AM

Do what ever you want, just add this.

People trip on how quiet my bike is. Loss
of power? No, it took some off the top and
put it in the middle. This should be on all
2t. We would all be so much quieter.

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/

Posted Image

• JKBennett

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Do what ever you want, just add this.

People trip on how quiet my bike is. Loss
of power? No, it took some off the top and
put it in the middle. This should be on all
2t. We would all be so much quieter.

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/

Posted Image

I'm sure it's quiet, but damn it's ugly. No offense intended.

• the jayman

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:19 PM

I'm with you to the trip to the more quiet bikes. Unfortunately our rules can't allow the sound measurement to be done with Db snorkel.

• baby arm holding apple

Posted March 21, 2008 - 02:46 PM

Just repacked and siliconed it for the weekend to go with the jetting change. Will be nice and quiet. Ugly? Funny looking oh yes. At the same time the thing works. If you think about it, the 2t pipe as a whole is lame looking. At the same time, power to weight and reliability and expenses cannot be matched. The thing just adds the final factor of resonable noise level to the overall package. Go to the sight and check it out. Mine is going nowhere, I do not care how ugly it is.

• MattFisher

Posted March 23, 2008 - 07:56 AM

I'm with you to the trip to the more quiet bikes. Unfortunately our rules can't allow the sound measurement to be done with Db snorkel.

If the Db is installed, why couldn't it be measured that way?

• the jayman

Posted March 23, 2008 - 12:44 PM

The way how the measurement is done is defined and it needs to be measured directly behind the actual silencer (distance is defined by centimeters).

• katoom525sx

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:15 PM

I run a procircuit S/A

• KillerHiller

Posted March 25, 2008 - 09:56 PM

How heavy is it?

• katoom525sx

Posted March 26, 2008 - 02:09 PM

I don't know it is about the same as a stock silencer. No you can not feel the weight when you ride if that is why you ask.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Modifying Triple Clamps by RIDER44

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Engineering and Technology
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

85 2 stroke or 150R by Bill_B

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ250 Fuel Knock? by RussTheRush

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

Strait to a 250 2t? by tombom

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 125 right for me? by 2 smoker15

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 19 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.