Expected life in miles

8 replies to this topic
  • pierre3737

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:26 AM

What is the expected life in miles of a XR650l 2007 if driven around town 80% and off road maybe 20% not too hard? What kind of miles per gallons do you getin stock form? Please specify u.s. or canadian gallons

Thanks

• hondaxrl650

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:57 AM

What is the expected life in miles of a XR650l 2007 if driven around town 80% and off road maybe 20% not too hard? What kind of miles per gallons do you getin stock form? Please specify u.s. or canadian gallons

Thanks

When I got my 07 l the first tank of gas I got about 70 miles out of it . However the bike did not stay stock for the second tank of gas , as far as the life of the bike you can't kill it , just change the oil . My bike is de-smoged jetted with daves mods and I run 15/48 and at 65 mph I get about 45 mpg . The most mpg I have gotten is 51 mpg . Oh and welcome to tt ..:confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Thanks

Welcome to TT and congrats on your new L!

If you keep it all stock, and ride it conservatively... Keep the oil changed religously, it'll last a long time. I've heard reports of these getting 60-70 K. miles before O/H.

I would HIGHLY recomend doing Daves Mods, rejetting. They are way too lean stock and can run hot. This will cure that.

I got 40-45 when all stock. Now with all kinds of mods i still get over 40 MPG(US).

Rich.

• Purcell69

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:37 AM

Keeping the oil changed and valves adjusted is key to a long, happy life in these motors, mostly clean oil. The owner's manual recoomends service intervals of 4,000 miles for oil changes and valve adjustment. Most of the BRP owners seem to keep their oil changed at 1,000 mile intervals. Since we are talking about 2 qts of oil, I can't see the harm in that kind of frequency.
As far as the valve adjustment, a 4,000 mile interval is not bad.

There are a lot of these bikes around with more than 40,000 miles on the stock bore.

I have been getting a consistent 43-44 mpg average, even after the basic mods, (airbox snorkle, Uni filter, DJ kit, de-smog, and head pipe welds.) This is stock gears (15/45) mostly highway (65 miles per hour) in US gallons.

The first thing to go was the stock tank. I liked the look of the stock tank, but with only an 85 mile safe range, I needed more. I upgraded to a Clarke 4.0 gallon tank and usually ride about 155 miles before I stop to refuel. At that point I have used 3.5 to 3.6 gallons.

-Joe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghrati ghoti

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Thanks

I have 31,000 miles on my 04. The motor hasn't be opened up, however lots of other parts have needed maintenance and/or replacement. Chains, sprockets, wheel bearings (3x), shifter, foot pegs, handlebars, rotors, pads, blah, blah, blah. Maybe 5% offroad miles, in sandy singltrack, Bending hard parts seems to be the biggest problem. Don't neglect the rest of the bike.

• Agent2

Posted March 19, 2008 - 10:42 AM

The owner's manual recoomends service intervals of 4,000 miles for oil changes and valve adjustment.

4,000 miles between oil changes? Why is the "R" in for 600 mile oil changes as per the service manual? Is that for an "L" that never sees the dirt? Just curious.

• hondaxrl650

Posted March 19, 2008 - 10:55 AM

My 07 manual say change every 2k filter every other change , I change both at 1k ..

• AaronBrown

Posted March 19, 2008 - 03:25 PM

I get about 35-40mpg (US gallons) out of my bike. Mostly stock, Dyno jet kit, pipe ect and stock gearing. I think my low mpg numbers compared to the others is because I weigh a lot and I like to go fast.

• Purcell69

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:42 PM

4,000 miles between oil changes? Why is the "R" in for 600 mile oil changes as per the service manual? Is that for an "L" that never sees the dirt? Just curious.

This is only a guess, but with the HP rating of the "R", I am sure the tolerances in the motor are a lot tighter, plus the "R" was designed as a dirt bike first, vs. the "L" being primarily street. The "R" is expected to be used in a dirtier environment.

Again, just a guess.

-Joe

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.