What would you tell a new XR650R owner?

15 replies to this topic
  • mikesbaron

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:09 PM

Lets say your novice neighbor just picked up a new XR650R. What would your first piece of advice on owning, modding or maintaining this bike be?

You can leave out:
Ride it like you stole it and all those other lame cliche's. I'm looking for real stuff here fellas.

• cleonard

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:27 PM

The only thing that is an absolute must is uncorking. It's cheap and easy, but still gives a lot more power. After that everything is optional. The engine has plenty of juice, the first serious $$$ should go into the suspension.

Change the oil often.

Don't let it sit in the garage, get out on it and ride!

• scalejockey

Posted March 19, 2008 - 03:29 AM

The one thing that i put on mine that really come to mind,besides the suspension,is a oversized front rotor. Makes it stop like a modern 450.
Other stuff.. Tall bars and Applied racing top clamp,to get the bars out of your lap.Baja Designs dual sport kit,in case you need to connect trails with a little tarmac.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:13 AM

Lets say your novice neighbor just picked up a new XR650R. What would your first piece of advice on owning, modding or maintaining this bike be?

You can leave out:
Ride it like you stole it and all those other lame cliche's. I'm looking for real stuff here fellas.

- drain the engine oil it came with and replace with dyno oil
- Remove aircleaner, clean, and re-install being sure to grease edge (I've
seen them come dry from dealers)
- break in with (3) heat cycles, and 'hard-seat' running method
- change oil and filter at 5 hours
- Re-grease the steering head and swingarm/linkage: can't be avoided!
- Now, uncork, re-jet, and ride it.
- First upgrades: ergonomics: seat height, bar height and sweep, right peg upgrade
- Second upgrades: protection: rear caliper guard, hand guards, radiator braces, skid plate, heavy tubes, rimlock upgrade, fender bag with parts
- Third upgrade: SUSPENSION! This will make the bike feel lighter, faster, and less work to ride. Re-spring snd re-valve for your weight.
- Fourth upgrade: Power: not just more, but better: full pipe system, pumper carb, side panel cut, HRC kit.

Now go enter baja.

• porterdog

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:41 AM

Read the PigPen.

• knuklehead

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:53 AM

Like Porterdog said the READ PIG PEN!!!!!

• mikesbaron

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:14 AM

I read XR650.net and there are a few things on uncorking I hope someone can clear up. As I understand it these are the steps.

1. Jettison stock muffler or cut the inside out. CHECK-I've got a Pro Circuit to put on.
2. Re-jet the carb. HOLD-will wait to see how she rides with Pro Circuit and at my 6000ft elevation riding areas.
3. Take rubber boots out of the airbox. CHECK-done.

:confused: HERE IS WHERE I'M CONFUSED (where is this part located? Is this the rubber boot that allows the carb to connect to the engine?)
4. Replace the stock manifold with part number 16211-MBN-640.

• lilbro

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:59 AM

Yes that is the piece.

The first thing to tell someone who bought one?
:confused: "CONGRATS!" :excuseme:

I agree with the previous posts.

There is a lot info on this site. I have found myself going back through the previous pages and reading old topics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcnutt

Posted March 19, 2008 - 08:24 AM

and tell him to wipe that friggin' smile off his face:D

• ogrider650

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:18 AM

if hes using the stock carb, tell him to practice clearing it out when he falls! it sucks to be on the side of the trail kicking for days if you don't know how to clear out the carb correctly, either that or go with the eddie. and suspension is a big one as well

• mikesbaron

Posted March 19, 2008 - 10:50 AM

Gents, I've got the carb off and found that I don't need a new intake. Looks like the original owner derestricted the thing. Here are my concerns I need help with. Yes the novice is I, or rather newbie owner of the BRP, whereas all other bikes have been e-start or 250cc or less.

1. Anyhow, how do I get the needle out of the carb? Need to check what position it's in.

2. Most of my riding is 5-6k feet. For a main he had 172 and for pilot he had 68. Any recommendations for how far down to go?

• rcnutt

Posted March 19, 2008 - 04:37 PM

Thats the setup I have in my pig with it uncorked and side panel cut, w/ white bros pipe and we ride 9000+ and it does well ,but bogs slightly at 9000' but rips at 6k

• xr650rkyle

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:15 PM

my mountain setup (6000'-9000' is: 65s 162) I usually run 68s 172 in the desert.
I run this elevation set up every year and it works great

• scalejockey

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I ride at 3 to 10 thousand feet and have to run a 165-168 main.That's with a full pipe,holed airbox,etc.

• cb60130

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:55 PM

this stuff....the best $200 you'll spend in your life...

• Suikerland

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:53 AM

Not necessarily in this order, but I think each one makes a big difference:

1. Get taller bars. (I got Pro Taper Windham + riser, what a difference)

2. Get a wider seat, if he's going to be going long miles.

3. Get a steering damper.

4. Wider footpegs. Haven't done it myself, but everybody recommends it.

4. Get fit. It's a physically demanding bike, and the stronger you are, the more you'll get out of it.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.