88 xr600

4 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:35 PM

Couple Questions:
can the drum break be converted to disk?
Unknown condition...it was given to current owner who says it seems to run good as it has been sitting for 5-6 years. he said he changed spark plug and cleaned carb and started right up. would this make a good daily commute bike sm style oh and is 600 bucks a good price? its got an Alaska plate that i can transfer in to ca

thanks
Aaron

• cleonard

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:36 PM

It's disc front and drum rear. $600 is a smoking deal if it is in good shape.

By the letter of the law you can't plate it. That doesn't mean that some are able to get a plate. If you can get it running well you should be able to get around $1000 for it even with no plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:40 PM

It's disc front and drum rear. $600 is a smoking deal if it is in good shape.

By the letter of the law you can't plate it. That doesn't mean that some are able to get a plate. If you can get it running well you should be able to get around $1000 for it even with no plate.

im not worried about the plating part as i plated my 06 wr450 myself! and plus it currently has an alaska plate which i can transfer in no problem!

and here is a picture
Posted Image

• tanstaafl26

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:37 PM

I saw that bike on craigs. I'm also in san diego. You should be able to transfer the plate especially if it's not lapsed in reg. I'd thought that any plating of bikes newer than early 2004 was difficult and if it did slip thorugh, the dmv was taking them back after they caught on.

Anyway, I've got an 89 and after looking at my brother's 93, there'd be alot of cutting and welding of both the steel frame for a different brake pedal/resivor and the aluminum swinger for the mounting. You'd need a different wheel too. Also, after riding both, I find the drum works just fine on the dirt. FWIW, I am a newb and come from a street backround so I don't use a ton of rear brake (yet?).

• cleonard

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:56 PM

I'd thought that any plating of bikes newer than early 2004 was difficult and if it did slip thorugh, the dmv was taking them back after they caught on.

As far as I can tell only a very small number of bikes have had the plates revoked. Mostly it has been dealer conversions that were done before delivery of a new bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.