knee is swollen and sore to bend

12 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:30 PM

Does anyone know if I just strained my knee or something else? I was riding this past sunday and was going around a turn and the bike slid out from under me and when I fell my left foot hit the ground first and my leg twisted. I heard a small poping sound that sounded like it went from the inside of the knee to the outside part of the knee. When I stood up it was sore (had to limp) It swoll a little on the inside part of my knee and after two days now it is hard for me to bend my leg back all the way back to my hamstring(I can with a little help of my arm but it is a stiff a sore). I have been icing it and taking ibuprofen but it is still hard to bend it all the way back. I can stand on it by its self and straighten it all the way and flex my quad. When it first happened i had to limp but now after two days I can walk pretty well but it is still sore and is a little weak when applying pressure to it side to side(hurts a little).

• morgan320i

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:11 PM

ut o is all i have to say good luck hope its nothing

• joshb

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:13 PM

i did the exact same thing in a corner and ended up going riding the next day. this was in august. turns out in that episode I tore my acl and meniscus. Mine was the same as you to bring it all the way in i had to pull it and it was sore.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:51 AM

Well today has been three days since it happened and I have been applying ice and heat on it and now on day three it has loosened up alot. I can walk pretty good without having to limp but there is still some swelling around my knee(more on the inside than the outside) I can bend my knee back toward my hamstring better and futher now without having to assit it but it is still just a little sore and just alittle stiff. Iam going to stay completly off of it today for the first time since it happened and (rice) it and if alot of the swelling hasnt went out along with some of the stiffness by in the morning I guess I will have it checked out by the Doc tomorrow.

• DrMark

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:03 AM

Most likely, Josh is right.

• morgan320i

Posted March 19, 2008 - 01:23 PM

i went 2 months before surgery when i tore my acl i even went back to work and it would not bother me all the time just i could not full bend it and if i steped the wrong way and could not squat my guess is you tore something.. sorry man

• joshb

Posted March 20, 2008 - 10:25 AM

yeah i tore mine in august and am just now getting it fixed april 10th.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 20, 2008 - 11:11 AM

yeah i tore mine in august and am just now getting it fixed april 10th.

Did you still ride any from august to march?.....I went to the Doc today and had him to check it>>>>>here is the outcome>...I had x rays taken,three of them from different views. The physicians assistant didnt say much about the xrays but done some tests with my leg while I was lying down on the table. He said it was present that I had blown out my acl. He got the main doctor to do the test and he said I had torn my acl by the result of the test. However though they didnt quiet understand how I could still walk farely good(without a limp) or why I wasnt as sore as I said I was. I told them It was a little sore but not much.......The doc then asked me if it felt like my leg was wanting to give out? I said not really but in some ways yes. He then told me he wanted an MRI done and told me to come back next friday to have it done. He then explained the acl reconstruction procedure and referred me to a doctor he knew in charlotte NC. who was a sports doctor for the NFL team the Panthers. He said he would be best for the job because he done a lot of them and also done his shoulder surgery. He said this doctor believed in getting the surgery done and rehab as quick as possible and get me back to par. I never got around to asking him about knee braces(but I guess it is way to early to worry about that now) but I was wondering if I could get two cti braces(one for my leg I hurt and one for the other one) for when I get back to riding and racing. I just want to keep the other leg protected and not get hurt like my left leg did.

• mxdement

Posted March 20, 2008 - 01:20 PM

Go see Dr Mark in Houston. He has done most of the TT guys. From what I have seen, everyone seems to have an extraordinary result. He has taken this one year off the bike injury down to three months.

Give him a call. He always answers his cell phone even on the weekends.

Good Luck

JD

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:09 PM

Has anyone had an ACL reconstruction surgery and how did you think the outcome of it was?......I also was wondering how long is rehab and what is the average time frame to where one can get back out and ride?

• Aleman

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Which Dr in Charlotte?

• DrMark

Posted March 20, 2008 - 03:45 PM

In our experience, ACL surgery is just about a no-brainer. This year we have done several dozen riders, many who contribute to this board. I am sure several will chyme in.

Our patients walk like normal men without braces or crutches in the recovery room, exercise the he11 out of their knee, and return to racing by three months.

The key to this is good presurgical rehab, well performed surgery utilizing a living tendon graft from the opposite knee, and an equally intense exercise program after surgery.

A TTer from Michigan who's surgery was in early January, 2008, made this video of himself one month after his reconstruction.

• joshb

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:16 PM

Did you still ride any from august to march?.....I went to the Doc today and had him to check it>>>>>here is the outcome>...I had x rays taken,three of them from different views. The physicians assistant didnt say much about the xrays but done some tests with my leg while I was lying down on the table. He said it was present that I had blown out my acl. He got the main doctor to do the test and he said I had torn my acl by the result of the test. However though they didnt quiet understand how I could still walk farely good(without a limp) or why I wasnt as sore as I said I was. I told them It was a little sore but not much.......The doc then asked me if it felt like my leg was wanting to give out? I said not really but in some ways yes. He then told me he wanted an MRI done and told me to come back next friday to have it done. He then explained the acl reconstruction procedure and referred me to a doctor he knew in charlotte NC. who was a sports doctor for the NFL team the Panthers. He said he would be best for the job because he done a lot of them and also done his shoulder surgery. He said this doctor believed in getting the surgery done and rehab as quick as possible and get me back to par. I never got around to asking him about knee braces(but I guess it is way to early to worry about that now) but I was wondering if I could get two cti braces(one for my leg I hurt and one for the other one) for when I get back to riding and racing. I just want to keep the other leg protected and not get hurt like my left leg did.

Yes I have rode every weekend since it happened. I went riding the day after! Right now the doc says my knee is close to the point of being able to dislocate. He too can't understand how I'm still able to walk and ride on it. I will say though I hurt mine worse about a month ago(which is when I finally got mri and xray) and now I stay clear of a lot of the jumps I normally do. I am in the process(it's kind of a long process) of getting the CTI braces from insurance. Mine are supposed to be here within the next couple weeks.

Mine is getting fixed with the same leg patella tendon and says I can ride in 6 months. If I had a choice I would have gone to Dr. Mark.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.