stripped dip stick

9 replies to this topic
  • nap__kxf

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:50 PM

so i stripped my dipstick out on the trail and i need a new one, preferably metal unless someone convinces me otherwise.

anyways, what suggestions do you guys have? i remember a long time ago someone bought one and complained that it was a different length therefore a different reading so yeah, any help would be appreciated.

i have a 2007 if it matters

• WB450

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:03 PM

There out there.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:12 PM

You can replace the dipstick with a short bolt and a washer, and put the old stick in your tool pack for when you want to check things.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 19, 2008 - 11:59 AM

There out there.

yep don't you luv plastic threads........

Hey WB is our buddy still making these?

dipstick stripped hmm, wait until your HotStart Nut strips also....

• WB450

Posted March 19, 2008 - 01:44 PM

I think so, I've sent him some interested buyers, nothing back saying he's not.:confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:18 PM

my dad's hotstart already siezed in place, well not sure if it did or not since wep ulled it out to lube it. but it was one hell of a night.

• Kasjok

Posted March 19, 2008 - 10:45 PM

I clean and lube my hot start thingy in the carb every month. I have done it at least 10 times and never have had a problem with stripping my hot start nut. You just make sure the threads are clean and then carefully start to screw it in to make sure it is going in the right thread. And finally there is no reason to use heavy equipment to tighten it.

• WB450

Posted March 20, 2008 - 07:28 AM

I bought a Zip Ty HS nut, a little anti seize, I should never have a problem.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:04 AM

I clean and lube my hot start thingy in the carb every month. I have done it at least 10 times and never have had a problem with stripping my hot start nut. You just make sure the threads are clean and then carefully start to screw it in to make sure it is going in the right thread. And finally there is no reason to use heavy equipment to tighten it.

I agree but unfortunately the plastic will break down from heat and constant removal. The other benefit of the alum Hotstart is to keep moisture out - something the oem plastic nut does not stop:thumbsup:

• Kasjok

Posted March 21, 2008 - 01:05 PM

I agree but unfortunately the plastic will break down from heat and constant removal. The other benefit of the alum Hotstart is to keep moisture out - something the oem plastic nut does not stop:thumbsup:

I agree

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.