180 main jet (help!)

40 replies to this topic
  • MichaelAngelo

Posted April 26, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Any body run a 180 main jet? I have been using a 175, with a 48 pilot jet. Bike ran good. However, my friend who has a 426 (i own a 400) has had the benifit of all my TT inspired free mods because I graciously shared the info with him. He's not very mechanical so I did the work as well. :) I did shave his throttle stop a bit longer than mine. In any case I want to out perform him. We are pretty evenly matched in terms of riding ability and I'm just looking for an edge. Will the 180 main jet hurt the bike ?(bend a valve or something)I'm going to run a 14/53 gearing like Yamakazi, but I don't know if it will be that noticeable. I want to suck 'em up on the track. Thanks,

Michael

• MOmilkman

Posted April 26, 2002 - 11:01 AM

Michael, Ive been using a 180 main since I have had my bike new and it responds flawlessly.

All I have done in the way of uncorking is cut out the airbox lid, Uni-filter, and FMF PC IV SA silencer.

Hope this helps.

• MichaelAngelo

Posted April 26, 2002 - 11:17 AM

Thanks MO...what pilot jet are you using? and how many turns out on the PAS? I'm looking forward to wooping up on my buddy.
M

• MOmilkman

Posted April 26, 2002 - 12:06 PM

Believe it or not, my pilot is still stock (43? I think) and so is the air screw. I havent touched either.

I do get the occasional dreaded "bog" when you blip the throttle but I hate to mess with my carb settings anymore than I have to as long as its running good for me.
I'll just end up making matters worse.

p.s. I did drop the needle on the clip one position. to #3 (it helped a lot on cold starting)

• MichaelAngelo

Posted April 26, 2002 - 01:52 PM

Mo...thanks again for the reply...I think I might go back to the 48 pilot, unless I go to the YZ 250 two smoke air box. I called the dealer and this is only an $80 part. I've hear that this mod really opens thins up.

Michael

• SFO

Posted April 26, 2002 - 04:27 PM

Could you share the info on the yz250 airbox?
What needle are you running?

• MichaelAngelo

Posted April 26, 2002 - 05:40 PM

SFO...I am using the stock needle. I thought I read somewhere on this forum of people using the yz250 2-stroke airbox. It is similar to the carbon fiber one advertized for $499; I like the idea of eighty bucks a whole lot better. Anyone out there using this 2-stroke mod?

• freestyle111

Posted April 26, 2002 - 06:54 PM

im at sea level in calif im running 185mj 48pj dvpneedle 3rdclip.i usually run 178 or 180 mj.but i just put p38 on carb and 180 was to lean.

• Taffy

Posted April 26, 2002 - 10:08 PM

tell me this is an april fools joke right?

you boys aren't for real? you can't be.

best you get on with it. why not go the whole hog and fit a 200MJ the number looks so much nicer doncha think :)

Taffy

• arrow101

Posted April 27, 2002 - 12:07 AM

do the air box mod it works awesomly, all you need is a air box from a 96-01 YZ 250 2-stroke, the 2-stroke side covers and the speed nuts and bolts to hold the sidecovers to the box. It slips in easy a little trimming is required near the top front stock WRF airbox mount.
I cant remember what exactly my bike has in it as it was neer on 4 years ago i set it up but it is a 98 WR and will eat an 01 WR 426 so it must be doing sonething right. And it still has the power to give me 2 dislocated shoulders and one broken shoulder when it gets angry!!!! i recomend doing the engin mod not the body damage

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • arrow101

Posted April 27, 2002 - 12:12 AM

do the air box mod it works awesomly, all you need is a air box from a 96-01 YZ 250 2-stroke, the 2-stroke side covers and the speed nuts and bolts to hold the sidecovers to the box. It slips in easy a little trimming is required near the top front stock WRF airbox mount.
I cant remember what exactly my bike has in it as it was neer on 4 years ago i set it up but it is a 98 WR and will eat an 01 WR 426 so it must be doing sonething right. And it still has the power to give me 2 dislocated shoulders and one broken shoulder when it gets angry!!!! i recomend doing the engin mod not the body damage

• MichaelAngelo

Posted April 27, 2002 - 06:20 PM

This is not a joke...my bike rips with the 175 main jet. It seems to go even better with the 180, just need to fine tune a bit. Seriously, almost as good as the grew wire power increase.

• Buckholz

Posted April 28, 2002 - 04:57 AM

My '89 Yamaha WR ran great with a 360 main jet, it also had a YZ airbox.

Yawl's WR's must be 'girley' bikes to be running such small main jets... Like Taffy says, you need to really go up on the main jet size to get the performance you deserve!

They sure don't make them like they used to!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted April 28, 2002 - 01:19 PM

Gentlemen, let me help you 180 MJ guys out there...

My 99 WR came with a 180 main and DTM needle. I thought it was so great...until I started leaning the bike out. Do you ever notice the top end just kind of die away and you stop accelerating? Pump the throttle and then it will speed up on top? That's what mine was doing until I went to a 160 MJ, 35 PJ, 55 PAJ, 160 MAJ, 60 SJ and EMM needle. The leaner configuration didn't cost much ($20?) and this thing gets going like never before. I didn't believe it until I did it for myself. And I'm going a bit leaner as the weather warms up. I recently dropped to from a 160 MJ to the 158 because the temps are in the low 90's these days. I'm also planning to screw in my PAJ screw to get rid of a little low-mid throttle vibration. (I think Taffy recommended the 45 PAJ setting. How many turns out is that again?)

• Bill

Posted April 28, 2002 - 01:40 PM

I have also been the route of the DTM, DVP, EKP and now the EMM and leaner overall settings. I'm sure once I get rid of my mid range richness, my jetting will once again be a step better, than the previous configuration.

I also did the KL mod also.

Bill

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 28, 2002 - 02:52 PM

360 Main Jet....Me Thinks Mr. Buckholz has been drinking way too deep from the Cactus..... :)

Rich....PM me with a good e-mail address so we can talk offline....

Bonzai :D

• Buckholz

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:34 AM

I promise you I owned a '89 Yamaha WR, I promise you it had a YZ250 airbox. I ran jets up to 400 down south of the border desert racing against Destry Abbott.

No cactus juice for me!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:39 AM

Hey Yamakaze, check your PMs

• endurodog

Posted April 29, 2002 - 11:32 AM

Hey guys the Mikuni carbs run jets in these number ranges. They are shorter than than the ones we run in our WR's but they numbers are in the 300 and 400's. My 2001 YZ125 main jet stock is a 460, thats out of the manual.

• Buckholz

Posted April 29, 2002 - 12:24 PM

hehehehehe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.