Turn WR into electric start YZ a la KTM

12 replies to this topic
  • cardoc

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:14 AM

With the Euro going through the roof, new KTMs are out of sight. I love my Yamahas, but I feel the WR450 is too heavy. KTM has trimmed all the fat off their off road bikes and the new KTM 450 XC-W has electric start, 18" wheel, lighting coil, kick stand, odometer, back up kick starter and weighs almost 20 pounds less then a new WR!
So, the question is... how much baggage can be stripped off a WR450 and make it look like an electric start YZ450? Loose the headlight and taillight and all the wiring? Lighter battery? Aftermarket pipe? I would love to perform the "free" mods and strip one of these things down to a nimble, under 250 lb electric start off road weapon. Any ideas or has anyone done this?
Thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:01 AM

With the Euro going through the roof, new KTMs are out of sight. I love my Yamahas, but I feel the WR450 is too heavy. KTM has trimmed all the fat off their off road bikes and the new KTM 450 XC-W has electric start, 18" wheel, lighting coil, kick stand, odometer, back up kick starter and weighs almost 20 pounds less then a new WR!
So, the question is... how much baggage can be stripped off a WR450 and make look like an electric start YZ450? Loose the headlight and taillight and all the wiring? Lighter battery? Aftermarket pipe? I would love to perform the "free" mods and strip one of these things down to a nimble, under 250 lb electric start off road weapon. Any ideas or has anyone done this?
Thanks

I've done all of that less the lighter battery but have yet to actually weigh the bike, the added 3.1 gallon fuel tank full adds another 8lbs or so to the stock wet weight. I race mine off road and do well but it's a heavy bike none the less:excuseme: I figure if I wanted a light bike I'd get the 2 smoke... but all of that means nothing when I am eating up orange, yellow and red bikes:busted:

• WR_Dave

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:05 AM

Aren't the green bikes very tasty Don???? :confused: WR Dave

• cardoc

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:32 AM

So you stripped down the mighty WR and put a YZ number plate on the front and a YZ fender on the rear? How much wiring and fat were you able to trim? How much of a pain was it to eliminate the excess wiring?

• tweav

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:07 AM

So why bother getting a wr at all ? Why not just get a nice yz 450 and put a ez button on there ? I've seen used 06 yz's for 3500 , the wr's are much harder to find and cost much more. the saved money could ez buy the starter.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:13 AM

Aren't the green bikes very tasty Don???? :confused: WR Dave

You know, in my part of the world we don't see to many of them in the off road racing infact I bet more guys run Huskies than Kawi's in my class:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have seem more than one enduro shootout, which lists the ready to ride weight (no gas) of the KTM as only a couple of pounds less than a WR or CRFX. Not sure how accurrate that is, but coming from more than one source it must be close. I supposed you could drop the linkage off the swing arm and lose those couple of pounds and have the same miserable rear suspension for whoops and jumps as the KTM.:confused:

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:20 AM

So you stripped down the mighty WR and put a YZ number plate on the front and a YZ fender on the rear? How much wiring and fat were you able to trim? How much of a pain was it to eliminate the excess wiring?

You are not going to remove much wiring at all, the WR rear fender on the 07' and 08' can be left in place and you can just remove the tail light. The AIS removal, snorkel parts, chain guide swap to nylon, head light, ODO, etc... probably weighs in at about 10lbs +/-.

Add on bark busters, steering stabilizer, radiator guards, skid plate, larger fuel tank, etc... it all comes back plus some I think but you would be bolting that stuff onto a KTM as well:excuseme:

You can remove the coolant overflow but I don't recommend it if you do any tight technical, pack & carry stuff:busted:

I don't know of many people that have successfully mod'd a YZ with electric start and for GP's my WR's tranny enables me to walk the YZ's off the line and on long straights and hills. I did just take possesion of some 06' YZ cams and will be installing those this week :confused:

• cardoc

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:40 AM

I have never heard of installing an electric starter on a YZ.

• cardoc

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:45 AM

The new Dirt Bike magazine article lists the weight of the '08 KTM 450 XC-W at 248 or so, and the WR at 263. So I guess there is a 15 lb difference - which is significant after a whole day of riding rough trails.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 18, 2008 - 11:04 AM

The new Dirt Bike magazine article lists the weight of the '08 KTM 450 XC-W at 248 or so, and the WR at 263. So I guess there is a 15 lb difference - which is significant after a whole day of riding rough trails.

That is probably correct as I think I was thinking of the EXC. But as Don noted above there are a few more goodies on the WR in comparison that are not worthing taking off. I don't believe the KTM has a skid plate or overflow catch tank. The KTM starts with lean jetting, but I don't believe they resort to all the AIS nonsense, which also adds a little bit. And Keep in mind the XC-W does not come with lights either. Ultimately, if you even everything out so that the two bikes have the same equipment the difference will probably come down to the weight of the linkage plus maybe a couple of pounds.

• tweav

Posted March 18, 2008 - 11:20 AM

I have never heard of installing an electric starter on a YZ.

I think you'll find it can be done ,but It's not going to be cheap.that is why you don't hear of people doing it . I think it may require replacing the left side of the crank , stator , stator cover , flywheel , and a installing a few extra gears. if you could find a blown motor to get these parts from would be the cheapest thing

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 18, 2008 - 11:29 AM

I think you'll find it can be done ,but It's not going to be cheap.that is why you don't hear of people doing it . I think it may require replacing the left side of the crank , stator , stator cover , flywheel , and a installing a few extra gears. if you could find a blown motor to get these parts from would be the cheapest thing

Unless it can be done another way, the battery location will probably require WR sub frame and seat?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.