Questions About XR650L's Clutch...

7 replies to this topic
  • Kenzo

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:16 AM

Bought a slightly used (~1,500 miles) 2001 XR650L recently and other than the fugly battery box I only have one complaint...the clutch feel.

I've adjusted the freeplay in the cable/lever but from the point the clutch begins to grab to full engagement is very short and difficult to modulate...is this normal? ...any way to improve it's feel? ...or do I have a problem?

TIA

:confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:29 AM

Bought a slightly used (~1,500 miles) 2001 XR650L recently and other than the fugly battery box I only have one complaint...the clutch feel.

I've adjusted the freeplay in the cable/lever but from the point the clutch begings to grab to full engagement is very short and difficult to modulate...is this normal? ...any way to improve it's feel? ...or do I have a problem?

TIA

Heres a thread from a couple years back discussing this.

Also Magura makes a hydraulic conversion kit.

• Kenzo

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Heres a thread from a couple years back discussing this.

where's the thread??? :confused:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:00 AM

It might just be a little sticky from very little use- it might loosen up on its own.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:45 AM

http://www.thumperta...50l clutch pull

• Motosprtman

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:56 AM

I think I would install a new clutch cable and adjust per spec. Doubt the clutch itself is worn at all.

• Kenzo

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:35 AM

the MSR Pro Raptor is interesting...

the pull weight(force required) is not really the problem but rather the engagement length is too short...but maybe the pull weight is contributing to the overall feel/problem...

the MSR lever buy changing the angle/fulcrum wud increase the "throw", lessen the pull weight and wud get rid of the clutch bypass switch but i wud also lose the mirror mount which i use for a little "peep mirror" ...a hydraulic clutch wud be sweet also.

i'll see if i can get use to the "feel" before making the change...

thx for the info...

• truck6driver

Posted March 19, 2008 - 04:16 PM

I never noticed a problem. Have had a slippage issue from a worn clutch lever piviot hole and bolt not allowing the cable to fully retract. Could it be the extra tall 1st gear you are not used to?

RH

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.