jetting for 426 for the cold

4 replies to this topic
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:14 PM

I studded my old dirt tires, and i started my bike today and it didnt want to start after sitting for a couple months or so.. I finally got it going, but it was sputtering and popping like crazy.. I dont want to take it out on the lake riding like that.. Do i have to jet down or up? Up i would say right? What do you guys recommend? Just change the mains? For temps between say 20 degrees and 40 degrees..

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:32 PM

Cold temperatures need richer jetting. Rule of thumb is one step up in size for each 15 degree drop. A "step" would be like a 42 to a 45, or a 45 to a 48 on the pilot, and a 165 to a 168, or a 168 to a 170 for the main. The pilot and main should be all that is necessary to change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:46 AM

you say it sat for a couple months, could the carb need cleaning or some fresh gas?

• BASSic

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:35 AM

I studded my old dirt tires, and i started my bike today and it didnt want to start after sitting for a couple months or so.. I finally got it going, but it was sputtering and popping like crazy..

Cold temps will affect your jetting somewhat, but it shouldn't necessarily be 'sputtering and popping like crazy.' Before you alter jets, clean your carb and try some fresh gasoline.

I bought a used YZ426 recently that had stock jetting. The previous owner had it in storage last fall and winter without riding it. It didn't want to stay running, but after draining and refilling with fresh gas it was fine. I've been riding the bike in 20-30 degree weather on stock jetting and it runs great. It's probably not optimal jetting, but I don't have any complaints. I'm installing a JD jet kit this weekend, so we'll see if that changes my opinion.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:47 AM

I probably will clean the carb, it usually runs mint.. It probably is just bad gas.. When i converted it to sm, right before it sat, it ran fine in the cold..

Once it warmed up, it was fine, it didnt sputter or anything, so maybe it was a little gummed up, but i will take it apart and clean it..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.