Rear Spring Rate

15 replies to this topic
  • Idaho450

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:09 PM

One more question....

I'm about 205 w/o gear and ordering new springs. Need to decide between a 5.6 and a 5.8. The calculators say 5.6. Anyone about my weight have an opinion?

Thanks,

• Mutu

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:13 PM

How much gear do you pack when you go for a ride?

• Idaho450

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:51 PM

small backpack, water, maybe 5 lbs

• Mutu

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:57 PM

I'd stick to 5.6

• MaxPower

Posted March 18, 2008 - 01:01 AM

I'd stick to 5.6

[COLOR="Green"]really? Im 180 and I am running 5.6
Doesnt the YZ come with a 5.6 and its a much lighter bike?
I guess it depends on how hard a rider is hammering it too[/COLOR]

• Mutu

Posted March 18, 2008 - 02:20 AM

[COLOR="Green"]really? Im 180 and I am running 5.6
Doesnt the YZ come with a 5.6 and its a much lighter bike?
I guess it depends on how hard a rider is hammering it too[/COLOR]

You should be a 5.4! :confused:
But yes, depends how you ride. If you are hitting tripples, I guess a WR isn't for you.....

• Rick1141

Posted March 18, 2008 - 03:46 AM

• Idaho450

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like the 5.6 ought to do it, revalving also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'm 210, run the 5.6 with 3.5" of sag... stock valving, make clicker adjustments as needed... I ride and race varying terrain and I am pretty happy with it. The stock spring in my opinion is to light for the bike alone with out a rider on it.... I bleed blue but yamaha so screwed us on the WR's suspension:thumbsdn:

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted March 19, 2008 - 01:09 PM

The calculator says 5.6, but at 200 pounds without gear I went with the 5.8. I had Factory Connection
re-valve to my weight and riding terrain/level. I thought it would be to stiff but it's not. I also have the 07 YZ forks re-valved and sprung to my weight. It's the best balenced bike I've ever riden. Go big you won't regret it. Jeff S

• MaxPower

Posted March 19, 2008 - 01:42 PM

You should be a 5.4! :confused:
But yes, depends how you ride. If you are hitting tripples, I guess a WR isn't for you.....

[COLOR="Green"]No triples for me Sir.Lots of sand whoops though.
Isnt stock 5.3?
I have Factory Connection revalve on both ends and Ill tell you what, I really like how my bike gets through the whoops. [/COLOR]

• Mutu

Posted March 19, 2008 - 11:53 PM

[COLOR="Green"]No triples for me Sir.Lots of sand whoops though.
Isnt stock 5.3?
I have Factory Connection revalve on both ends and Ill tell you what, I really like how my bike gets through the whoops. [/COLOR]

Not sure what came stock, but I know Australia got heavier springs to what you guys got....

Yes, I too have got respring / revalve both ends, and yes, it makes an unbelievable difference!!! :confused:

• bmah

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:27 PM

Funny you should mention this! I am in exactly the same predicament. Fortunately for me, I live in NH and Factory Connection is located here. I just bought a 5.8kg/mm spring for my '07 WR450F. I'm 6'4" and 205 lbs without gear. It was explained to me that the higher spring rate would be better for me because of my height. More of your weight is further back on the back when either sitting or standing. I will install it tomorrow. I'm planning on riding enduros/woods riding, so, I want a plusher setup. I was assured that I would get the dynamic and static sag numbers that I'm looking for with this spring. Good luck to you!

• Idaho450

Posted March 20, 2008 - 04:32 PM

Let me know how it turns out...

Thanks,

• bmah

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Well, I've installed my new 5.8kg/mm spring and regreased the suspension linkages and the swingarm bearings. The sag numbers are as follows with me in riding gear, a full tank of gas in the bike:
Race sag: 105mm
Static sag: 31mm

I would say that I'm right in the ballpark as far as conventional wisdom on spring rates go. Now, I'll just have to figure out how to ride this thing!

• SXP

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Well, I've installed my new 5.8kg/mm spring and regreased the suspension linkages and the swingarm bearings. The sag numbers are as follows with me in riding gear, a full tank of gas in the bike:
Race sag: 105mm
Static sag: 31mm

I would say that I'm right in the ballpark as far as conventional wisdom on spring rates go. Now, I'll just have to figure out how to ride this thing!

How much pre-load in mm did you have to dial in to get those sag numbers? Did you measure while standing on the bike or sitting? If sitting, were you up against the tank or further back on the seat? TIA.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.