XR650R Rod Failure - What is the Solution?

6 replies to this topic
  • EarlT

Posted March 17, 2008 - 05:40 PM

XR650R Rod Failure - What is the Solution?

XR650R Rod Failure
- What is the Solution?

1) Is Rod Break a Common failure?

2) will "Drilling" a Hole for Lubrication
the underside of the Piston
where the piston supports the piston Pin,
Prevent this problem or other Problems?

3)At what RPM
is Rod Failure expected to occur

in the XR600
XR650L
XR650R

4) What is the Solution?

Solutions??

XR650R Rod Problems.

Trail Searcher wrote-

Myself and 2 of my buddies 650rs
didnt last very long on the road.
All 3 of them lost rods.

EarlT writes-
Above we have more riders with XR650R engines
that have Rod Problems.

What is the Solution?
:confused:

Does it affect XR650L engines also?
:excuseme:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 17, 2008 - 06:27 PM

In the 7 years that the XR650R has been around, I have NEVER seen or heard of a rod failure from anyone, except on this forum.
This is not a lawnmower engine, it is a highly de-tuned race engine. It breaks, and it wears out. Use better oil, change it more often, and keep it clean inside.

• cleonard

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:30 PM

First I agree with Krannie. I have never personally seen a XR650R with a rod problem. However, there sure have been may reports here. Some with relatively low miles.

If I had to guess, I'd say that operating conditions may have something to do with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrltim

Posted March 18, 2008 - 04:12 PM

The only rod failure I've seen or even heard of in the XR line up has been because of infrequent oil changes. Debris clogs the oil gallery going to the big end of the rod, decreases flow, destroys bearing. Gotta change that oil!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2008 - 04:21 PM

The only rod failure I've seen or even heard of in the XR line up has been because of infrequent oil changes. Debris clogs the oil gallery going to the big end of the rod, decreases flow, destroys bearing. Gotta change that oil!

Exactly. I think that the die-hard reliability of earlier Honda bikes did create some bad habits among later XR owners.

Basically, on an old XR100, you could just show the bike a can of oil once in a while, and maybe even add some now and then. Change the oil? Once a year.

• Thorndike

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:08 PM

I had the rod break on my XR400, it was a Hot Rod and only about 18 months after a complet rebuild. When it broke it destroyed the whole motor. I have seen photo's of an XR 650r that had the same thing happen. Do a search on Race Desert or D37, I think that's where I saw the photo's. In my case it wasn't because of lack of oil changes. I do that after almost every weekend ride, about 250 - 350 miles. Oils cheap compaired to building a new motor. Sometimes things just break. I try to use the best parts I can afford when building motors.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:36 PM

I wish it was that simple, but these engines don't have oil passages going to the rod big end(unless there's a squirter I overlooked). The roller bearing there relies on splash lubrication; the oil pump is necessary to feed the top end. Plus, I don't think any of the rod-throwing engines as of late were even close to seizing the rod big end. I'm not sure that's even possible with a roller bearing there; the piston goes dry and sticks long before.

With a car engine that has 2-piece rods and bearing shells, a loss of oil causes overheating of the big end and the bearings eventually melt, stick to the crank, and break the rod.

So far some of the broken rods have happened at high speed and sustained rpm. It could have been that rod fatigued and failed, or it could be that the piston started seizing and pulled the rod apart. You can't protect against a defective rod, but you can make sure the jetting is good enough to not melt the engine if you keep it WFO for miles.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.