Cam Cahin Tensioner Question??

13 replies to this topic
  • Michael Cahill

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:28 PM

I know this may be a repeated topic, but i think mine is kind of unique.

I recently was looking over my bike, and noticed that the little "cap bolt" that goes into the end of the cam chain tensioner is broken off at the head.

Is this a bad thing that i cant get into the tensioner to tighten it back up if i ever take it off?

because im planning on checking all the valves, and pulling out the chain to check it.

So basicly, will i be able to retighten the tensioner if i take it off?

Thanks, Michael :confused:

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:40 PM

The trouble will be that you won't be able to slack off your tensioner to re-install it. The tensioner is designed to take up any slack that may appear, and it will not back off unless the center tensioner shaft is rotated back with a screwdriver.

This is not the end of the world, however. Once you get the tensioner out, a competent technician (like you, maybe even) can remove the broken bolt. It's an ordinary ISO metric cap screw, so it can be replaced with almost anything.

• 642MX

Posted March 17, 2008 - 05:02 PM

I would just replace it. They are only $30 something dollars.

• Michael Cahill

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:38 PM

So your saying i should just be able to drill and tap the screw and screw it out?

So the screw is just simply a cover then? it is'nt holding the whole thing toghther?
that's what i was worried about.

and while were on this toppic, is the cam chain itself something that requiers replacement often?
because its a 98 bike, i'm the 3rd owner, and i dont know if at all, or how many times its been pulled out and replaced.

• todds924

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:43 PM

So your saying should i just be able to drill and tap the screw and screw it out?

So the screw is just simply a cover then? it is'nt holding the whole thing toghther?
that's what i was worried about.

and while were on this toppic, is the cam chain itself something that requiers replacement often?
because its a 98 bike, i'm the 3rd owner, and i dont know if at all, or how many times its been pulled out and replaced.

The bolt holds nothing together. It is basicly a cover. You should be able to use a drill and easy out no problem. I would definitely replace the cam chain. They are only 15 dollars or something.

• Michael Cahill

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:47 PM

ok thats what i thought just wanted to make sure!

Now to remove the cam chain will that take a mass ammount of dissasembly of the lower end of the motor?

• 642MX

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Now to remove the cam chain will that take a mass ammount of dissasembly of the lower end of the motor?

Changing the cam chain only takes an hour (maybe 2 hours the first time). You need to pull the shifter off, mag cover, flywheel, and stator on the lower end. On the top side you need to remove the top engine mount, valve cover and both cams (remove the tensioner too).

The cam chain should be replaced every year (if you ride 2-3 times a month).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:23 PM

Cam chains are pretty simple stuff:

http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

But the chain for a 400 or 426 is more like $30. YZF tensioners are such simple, effective things that if it seems smooth, it's probably still OK. But it is 10 years old, and it wouldn't hurt to replace it.

The broken bolt will probably spin right out of place if you can use a reversible drill and a left handed bit.

• Michael Cahill

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:29 PM

oh ok, now is there any way to tell if it needs replacing or not?

and this is a stupid question i know, but i take it i will need a flwheel puller?
or is there another way to take it off?

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:46 PM

You will need a flywheel puller, yes. One of your friends with any other kind of YZ, or most other recent Japanese two-strokes may already have one that works. Don't attempt to use something else.

Determining whether the tensioner needs to be replaced can be somewhat imprecise. If you retract the spring, then push the plunger against something solid, you should be able to let the plunger extend a little, then push against it and not under any circumstance, at any point in its travel, have it slip back in, or even feel like it might. The plunger must extend and retract smoothly throughout its range. If it will pass these checks, it may very well be fine. If it won't, it certainly is not.

• Michael Cahill

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:03 PM

Oh ok,

Well that makes sense, but what i really wanted to know is,

Is there a way to determine if the cam chain needs replacing, without taking it all the way out?

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:09 PM

No, unless it's really bad. But it's 10 years old...replace it.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 19, 2008 - 12:06 PM

No, unless it's really bad. But it's 10 years old...replace it.

and the tensioner......:confused:

• Michael Cahill

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Ok thats what i was going to do, but i just wanted to have a second opinion.

Thanks guys!! :confused:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.