Broken kick starter shaft 03 YZ450F

7 replies to this topic
  • Lawrence162s

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:49 AM

This weekend in Pismo I went to kick the bike, it wasn't happy so it kicked back, and the shaft sheered off...anyway my question is How much fun am I going to have fixing this? I've only replaced springs etc. on 2 strokes before.

Thanks for your help,

• Dirtbiker05

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:35 AM

do you mean the shaft that you actually kick? or the shaft that goes into the motor?

• xr1million

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Its simple and straight foreword!

• Lawrence162s

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:49 AM

yes the shaft that goes into the motor, it sheered in half about 1/4" outside of the case...the kick itself is fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtbiker05

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:56 AM

if you go by your manual, you shouldnt have any trouble replacing the shaft. just remember to pay close attention to how things come apart. hope this helps.

welcome to tt! :confused:

• Lawrence162s

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Guy:)

• georgedoggy

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:18 PM

ive just done this also!

i bought a used 06 model shaft thinking it was the same but it wasnt. the 06 was thicker/stronger so i suppose yamaha knew it was a problem and beefed it up in later years. ive since bought a new 03 shaft.

pretty easy, you have to take off your entire clutch and the kick shaft almost falls out, simply replace and put the clutch back together. takes about 30 minutes if you have the tools.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Check the part number on the shaft assembly. The original 5TA-15601-00-00 was problematic from the beginning and was replaced by the 5XD-15601-00-00. I believe that either the 5TA was upgraded in production, or the assembly was superseded with the 5XD.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.