Diffrence between XR650L 2007 and 2008

13 replies to this topic
  • morowiec

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:03 AM

Hi all!

I want to buy new xr, and see big diffrence in weight between this two models. 2007 weight is 326 pounds, and 2008 346 pound. What else? Whitch will be better for long off road trips?

Regards,
Bartek

• Purcell69

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi all!

I want to buy new xr, and see big diffrence in weight between this two models. 2007 weight is 326 pounds, and 2008 346 pound. What else? Whitch will be better for long off road trips?

Regards,
Bartek

I didn't realize the chrome gas cap weighed that much!:confused: I think there may be a typo in the two weights. I don't know of any significant changes between the two. I looked at a used '08 when I bought my new '07. With the exception of the bling-cap, they appeared to be the same bike. I went with the '07 (new bike, cheaper out the door and tag / insurance wise). I am not disappointed at all. I rode mine last week on a 200 mile round trip, highway driving. My middle aged butt was a little tired when I got back home, but in all a great ride. I would have probably gone further if the family had not been waiting for me to start the grille for dinner.

As far as off-road goes, if the '07 is truely lighter than an '08 by 20#, I'd again opt for the '07. Most of the members here, myself included, have taken steps to reduce the weight of the BRP to some degree. If yours starts out 20# heavier, you are behind the curve. The lighter the bike, the less physically drained you will be at the end of a long day of off-roading.

-Joe

• AaronBrown

Posted March 17, 2008 - 06:36 AM

I also didn't think there was any difference other than the gas cap and the headlight surround is white instead of red.

• cleonard

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:52 AM

I didn't think that there were any significant changes between the 1993 XR650L and the current model. Is that true?

• martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:16 AM

No difference that I can tell. Just BNG. Go for the 07, it looks better.

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:37 AM

they used to weigh the bike without all the fluids ie forks, shock and now i think they weigh it with everything but fuel, more like it should be cuz its not like we can run without suspension oil and crankcase

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 17, 2008 - 06:30 PM

Brochure ink is cheap, Engineering isn't: all Honda weights are usulally 'creative', and eventually become honest.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Norge

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:54 PM

Either weight, Denn10 can still do 120 ft table top jumps with it!

• RipperFox

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:30 PM

Picked up my 2007 XR650L today
.1 miles on it and WHAT A DOG
Something must be wrong...
Wont pull the front wheel of the ground in second, and just barely in first. And clutching it is the only reliable way to get it up. I am used to riding Banshee's and a 750 nighthawk. I expected a little more pick up from 650 two wheeler.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:48 AM

Wont pull the front wheel of the ground in second, and just barely in first. And clutching it is the only reliable way to get it up. I am used to riding Banshee's and a 750 nighthawk. I expected a little more pick up from 650 two wheeler.

Yes in stock trim they are pretty lame. Thought the same thing when I bought my 2004 XR250R, aftermarket pipe and rejet and... WOW totally different bike. The same can be said for your new 650. Do the Dave's mods and get a aftermarket pipe and you will be a much happier 650L owner.

If you don't want to do the dave's mods - then a Dynojet kit can be purchase and installed, if you go this route, don't forget to change out the pilot jet too to a # 55 and grind the tab off the fuel air mix screw and adjust 2 /14 turns out from bottom.

CAUTION: After the rejet and re-exhaust twist of the grip lofting of the front end can be expected! :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:51 AM

Like MS said, they need to be retted and a good exhaust. Also remove the snorkel and get a good foam air filter... No K&N.

Other things like cams and hi compression pistons really wake them up.

The easiest thing you could do would be to go to 14/45 or 15/48 gearing. THe stock 15/45 is way too tall.

• Purcell69

Posted March 18, 2008 - 04:47 PM

Yes in stock trim they are pretty lame. Thought the same thing when I bought my 2004 XR250R, aftermarket pipe and rejet and... WOW totally different bike. The same can be said for your new 650. Do the Dave's mods and get a aftermarket pipe and you will be a much happier 650L owner.

If you don't want to do the dave's mods - then a Dynojet kit can be purchase and installed, if you go this route, don't forget to change out the pilot jet too to a # 55 and grind the tab off the fuel air mix screw and adjust 2 /14 turns out from bottom.

CAUTION: After the rejet and re-exhaust twist of the grip lofting of the front end can be expected! :confused:

2nd that! Snorkle removed from airbox, Uni filter, welds in head pipe ground, DJ kit, fuel/air mod, and smog pump removed cause it was ugly and in the way. Much more of what I expected in a 650! First gear is easy and with clutch it will pull the wheel in second, using stock gearing. Gear down a bit and it becomes even more lively. I haven't even changed out the exhaust yet.

-Joe

• frog13

Posted March 10, 2009 - 02:07 PM

Theres no weight difference.

• russell3

Posted March 10, 2009 - 02:30 PM

I rode a friend of mine's '07 650l and it was a pig. No real power at all. he was new to bikes and I let him ride my piped/jetted 600r and it about took his arms off. I think it scared him:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.