wr400 help

3 replies to this topic
  • turbo72

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:17 AM

hi new to this,
have a 1998 wr400f and want to convert to supermotard wheels...
have tried to search forum for specs and answers but no luck???\
what rims can i buy off a road bike that will fit or do you have to buy a s0specific set of rims etc??????????????

• Alternative

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:39 AM

It really depends on how much work you're willing to do. If you're looking for a direct bolt on replacement then you'll certainly need supermotard specific wheels such as Excel rims on Talon hubs, these are costly though. However if you're cheap like me and have some workshop skills you can adapt wheels of another bike. I got some wheels off a Suzuki GSF250 Bandit and fitted them to my WR426. I did have to make up all the spacers and get the front wheel machined to fit them, but overall it cost me a half what the Excel/Talon setup would have, including getting the wheels powdercoated and new chain, sprockets, 320mm disc, tyres, etc. I've also heard Honda CBR250 wheels are quite easy to adapt for supermotard bikes. Here's what my bike looks like all done :confused:. Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • turbo72

Posted March 19, 2008 - 04:02 AM

It really depends on how much work you're willing to do. If you're looking for a direct bolt on replacement then you'll certainly need supermotard specific wheels such as Excel rims on Talon hubs, these are costly though. However if you're cheap like me and have some workshop skills you can adapt wheels of another bike. I got some wheels off a Suzuki GSF250 Bandit and fitted them to my WR426. I did have to make up all the spacers and get the front wheel machined to fit them, but overall it cost me a half what the Excel/Talon setup would have, including getting the wheels powdercoated and new chain, sprockets, 320mm disc, tyres, etc. I've also heard Honda CBR250 wheels are quite easy to adapt for supermotard bikes. Here's what my bike looks like all done :confused:. Posted Image

Thanks very much for the info and the photo... i think your bike looks awesome. Have you had any dramas with your gearbox riding on the road (ie the manual says not for road use?).
Have managed to get a good deal from my local bike shop for new excel rims and talon hubs with brand new tyres $1990....still alot of money to spend on a 98 model bike but i have spent alot already with engine rebuild and other mods..,.,

cheers

• Alternative

Posted March 19, 2008 - 04:29 AM

So far the gearbox has been fine, I've heard of the WRs having weak 3rd gears but I haven't had a problem. I forgot to mention before, another advantage of getting road wheels is they usually have cush drive, which helps take some of the shock out of the gearbox and also smooths out the ride somewhat. I was amazed when I got my wheels fitted how much smoother my bike was on the road, I could actually use my mirrors :confused:.
AU$1990 sounds like a pretty good deal for a brand new Talon/Excel setup w/ tyres, I was look at NZ$2000+ for a set of second hand wheels. Barely anyone in NZ has supermotards so I would've had to order new stuff from the US, not cheap :excuseme:.
By the way, make sure your dealer orders the right wheels, the 98's have a smaller diameter rear axel than the 99+ (20mm vs 22mm) and subsequently different bearings. The hubs come with the correct bearings for your bike, so if they get it wrong, you'd have to change the bearings to fit the wheels properly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.