Tight Exhaust Valve=Hard Starting?

3 replies to this topic
  • finglan

Posted November 04, 2002 - 03:06 PM

The last time I took my bike out it became harder and harder to start each time I shut it down. I changed the plug with the same results. I then tried to slightly adjust the pilot screw which made it way too lean.

Since then I have cleaned the carb throughly twice and tried all kinds of different jetting. I had over 400 miles on the old jetting w/out any problems. This led me to believe there was something going on besides the jetting, but I could not find the problem. I do get a good spark on the plug, so the coil must be fine. The bike was either too rich or lean as I tried every jet in the series. It would also kind of give out a fart from the tail pipe when I shut it down. I had the stock 165mj in when I had the original problem and recently noticed that there is a small spur just inside the rim of the jet. I have no idea how it got there. It may have caused some of my problems. I have tried so many different jetting setups that I am convinced there is another problem.

I just checked the valve clearences and found one of the exhaust valves to be .025mm too tight. The stock pad was a #175 so ordered a #170. All the other valves have not moved at all since I checked them last year.

Would a tight exhaust valve cause any of these symtoms?

I plan to take another look at the carb to see if there is something that caused the spur on the mj. I have never seperated the section held togather by the four screws w/the yellow paint on them. Is there something I should watch out for when taking this section apart?

Is there anything else I should look for?

• sabin

Posted November 05, 2002 - 09:03 AM

if it was .025mm (how do you measure it to 0.005mm?) and it has to be 0.20mm-0.25mm and your pad is 175 you have to order pad#155 to make about 0.23mm clerance

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finglan

Posted November 05, 2002 - 10:31 AM

I thought the pads came in .05mm steps. This would put me right in the middle of the specified range. I was at .175 + the .05 would put me at .225

• sabin

Posted November 05, 2002 - 12:27 PM

Pad# 175=1.75mm you can easily measure it...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.