Ride report: ESP suspension revalve and spring

8 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 16, 2008 - 08:01 PM

XR650R:
New .49 & 11.0 springs from Eibach, and new fork re-valving from Exceptional Suspension Performance (ESP) in Tujunga California.

Well, as usual, George and crew did a great job. The bike is transformed into what I'm sure Honda would like all their customers to experience: properly set up for my weight and riding style!

I had him set up the valving for 'dual sport' use, and it is ultra balanced and predictable on the street and trails.

Highly reccomended.

Springs: 90/110.00
Valving: 324.00

• Doofus007

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:14 AM

How much do you weigh? I recently had precision concepts do my suspension on my 96' XR600 for mainly desert riding (whoops, ect.) they installed .43 & 10.5. I weigh 220 and the front still seems extreamly soft. I know the race tech site recommended spring wieghts similar to what you installed. I'm just wondering if PC missed it with my weight.

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:41 PM

What did they tell you for sag settings? Ive never heard anything bad about ESP, i had RG3 do my YZ before and truthfully i didnt see alot of difference, maybe it was the fact that i ate crap early in one race and was pissed and on fire, won both classes that day LOL

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 17, 2008 - 06:28 PM

I hear great things about RG3 work, but the work on my used XRR (came with valving and springs) were terrible. Could just have been worn out.

I am 6'4" 270 with gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:14 PM

what sag do they recomend? just curious what the Rs use, if its the norm 95-105mm or not.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:45 AM

what sag do they recomend? just curious what the Rs use, if its the norm 95-105mm or not.

I haven't gotten to settingthe sag yet; still fiddling with Edle tuning, pipe fit, speedo bracket conversion, cable lengths, lighting issues, etc.
As I recall, for pure dual sport I liked 115 on my old bike, and 100 for crazy desert stuff. I like to use all the travel when I ride, so I choose the heaviest springs I can make work, with soft clicker settings. This keeps the fork/shock up high more often, giving me the Caddilliac ride. I usually soft-bottom out the rear on g-outs, and mistake jumps, once or twice a ride.

• Doofus007

Posted March 18, 2008 - 02:59 PM

PC recommended a race sag of 100mm for my 'R'. They have a 180 day guarantee on their work so I think I'm going to go back and ask 'em what can be done. Not meaning to hijack the thread but the paper work they gave me said 10 clicks on the fork compression damping? Would 10 clicks be on the slower or faster end of the damping spectrum?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2008 - 04:26 PM

PC recommended a race sag of 100mm for my 'R'. They have a 180 day guarantee on their work so I think I'm going to go back and ask 'em what can be done. Not meaning to hijack the thread but the paper work they gave me said 10 clicks on the fork compression damping? Would 10 clicks be on the slower or faster end of the damping spectrum?

That depends on if they describe it like the Honda manual, which is 'clicks out (counterclockwise), from all the way in (clockwise)' clicks.

• Doofus007

Posted March 19, 2008 - 08:56 AM

Good point. I assume it 10 clicks out from all the way in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.