Steering Dampner

19 replies to this topic
  • rogergayla21

Posted November 04, 2002 - 02:58 PM

Does anyone run a steering dampner on their BRP? I have a 94 L and have thought of getting one, I would like some input on it first though. If you have links t a good deal on one please post that also.

Thanks,
Roger

• Moredesert

Posted November 04, 2002 - 04:11 PM

I run a damper on my bikes. Unless your riding at high speeds or in sand you don't really need one. I assume you ride street with the 650L and sometimes dirt. The Scotts damper works great on my DRZ but the XR is a little more stable and is not as noticeable. It will help on the shacks or big hits when you hit a rock or pot hole. If you go with a damper get the package from Scotts and put on some pro-Tapers or other fat bars.

• FooBarr

Posted November 04, 2002 - 04:53 PM

I'm running a Scotts and it works well. You should consider a damper for the L. Last summer I sold a 5 gal Acerbis tank to a guy who put it on his 650L. Just a week ago I was reading about his near-death experience on a CA freeway. Seems his L got some bad head shake at 75 and tossed him on his butt. Lucky for him he was well protected with ample amounts of body armor but it was all trashed as he went skidding and rolling down the freeway. If I was you, I'd put a damper at the top of your list of goodies. The dude can be found on the hondaxr.com forum and goes by the name havespine.

• rogergayla21

Posted November 05, 2002 - 06:03 PM

Where do you get a dampner? I have searched the net and can't find one.

• Skolly

Posted November 05, 2002 - 06:13 PM

Why not try your local dealer?
Skolly

• FooBarr

Posted November 05, 2002 - 06:38 PM

The scotts site:
http://www.scottsperformance.com

If you also notice they run a banner at the top of the forum page half the time. Click on that.

The cheapest quote I got was from these guys:
http://www.hardracing.com

the reason you didn't get hit on your web search is because you spell it DAMPER not dampner

• rogergayla21

Posted November 06, 2002 - 03:41 AM

Thanks for the links.

• Danco

Posted November 06, 2002 - 04:12 AM

I had a WER and it worked fine. I just felt it did not damp enough so I got a GPR. Now that is an awesome unit. Call Craig at www.mxsouth.com The forward mount unit with the triple clamps was $475. And the best part is the damper and clamps came in anodized red! Looks and works great.

• billmunson

Posted November 06, 2002 - 11:34 AM

http://www.gpr-products.com/home.htm

http://munnracing.com/

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted November 06, 2002 - 05:55 PM

Love my Scott's with Scott's applied triple clamps. Using bolt on forward mount. Cost was about $600 from Baja Designs. Service recommendations is oil change once a year with seal rebuild every 3 years. It will keep you straight and help build up your forearm muscles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted November 06, 2002 - 11:55 PM

I have Scott/Ohlins damper. The best money spend! It save my a$$ so may times I don't count them any more...

• Danco

Posted November 07, 2002 - 04:43 AM

Trying to post a pic of my GPR unit

Posted Image

Hope it comes out!

• sabin

Posted November 07, 2002 - 02:06 PM

Danco,

What mount are you using for the Lowrance iFinder?

• rogergayla21

Posted November 08, 2002 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for the pic. That is one sweet looking bike.

• Danco

Posted November 08, 2002 - 05:56 AM

Lowrance makes one from the I-Finder now. I ordered mine through www.gpscity.com Heres the part number

1 - NPI RAM 1'' Ball Stainless Steel 1/2'' to 1'' U-Bolt Base

I've spent alot tweaking my BRP. Here's a side pic.

Posted Image

• Rokatt88

Posted November 08, 2002 - 06:04 AM

Danco!

Niiice Rig! Sweet! :)

• chabon99

Posted November 10, 2002 - 05:14 PM

I can save you $$ on Scotts and GPR dampers and accessories.
email me for prices. Product is shipped directly from them to you.
chris@utahmoto.com

• HOOLPE

Posted November 11, 2002 - 04:46 AM

Nice bike Danco,
How did you relocate your tripometer? I'd like to do the same so I can utilize a forward mount for my
stabilizer.

• Danco

Posted November 11, 2002 - 06:41 AM

The kit from GPR came with the relo bracket. The Scotts kit also has one. Bolts right on to the triple clamp.

• loufish

Posted November 13, 2002 - 08:28 PM

I'm running a Scotts. I was a little nervous spending $500 on something that I wasn't sure about, but boy what a difference! I can't even think about riding without it now. I talked to the guys at GPR after buying the Scotts unit, they seem to have a lot better customer service, they are at all the AMA Dist.37 races with their complete truck. You can argue about which unit to buy, but after running either one, you'll want a steering damper.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.