08 wr 450

18 replies to this topic
  • firedawg553

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:07 PM

I have just bought a new 08 wr450 and have been researching how to get more power out of it. I know about the yz throttle stop, the grey wire, removing the exhaust baffle, and i don't have the AIS. My question is do I have to rejet the carb with these three mods, and if so, can someone recommend which jet or kit to use? Thanks.

• falcon_az

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:09 PM

JD Jetting... give 'em a call.
http://www.jdjetting.com/

• KennyMc

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:15 PM

I have just bought a new 08 wr450 and have been researching how to get more power out of it. I know about the yz throttle stop, the grey wire, removing the exhaust baffle, and i don't have the AIS. My question is do I have to rejet the carb with these three mods, and if so, can someone recommend which jet or kit to use? Thanks.

Here is what other people are running.:confused:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

• firedawg553

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Thanks. I should have also asked if I need to rejet before I ride if I complete the wire and exhaust baffle mods.?? All help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first thumper.

• firedawg553

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:05 AM

Wondering if there is a "good" answer to this?

• KennyMc

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:16 AM

Have you reviewed what Indy_450 has provided in the attached link above? There are some "good" answers in their.:confused:

• firedawg553

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Indy_450? I meant good about mods without jetting.

• Kirkster

Posted March 17, 2008 - 11:33 AM

The 07 and 08 WRs are Waaaayyyyyy too lean. Just bite the bullet and rejet...

• ophir

Posted March 17, 2008 - 11:56 AM

Get the JD jetting kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demo_Slug

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:32 PM

I still got my stock jetting on my 08WR. I do have the GYTR exhaust tip.. I’ve had the grey wire off. (I would not even think about removing the air box silencer without rejeting). I think these guys are right about the too lean thing. It runs a bit rough at sea level. And It runs much better at higher elevation.

But, the reason I don’t have my YZ throttle stop in yet, is that it’s just to tight for me to get at it. There is just no room for me. Maybe I got big hands or I’m not very good at building a ship in a bottle. If you can get it out, more power to you. I think I’m going to have to take the rear shock off, at the very least. So, for me, I’m going to do the jetting and the throttle stop at the same time..

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Re-jet,open up the airbox all the way and put a pipe on it. It will be all the bike you'll ever need..Oh and I used the James Dean(JD) jetting and am very happy...gas milage could better though.

• firedawg553

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, btw, does anybody know the part number for the yz450 throttle screw?

• KennyMc

Posted March 17, 2008 - 05:47 PM

My GYTR AIS removal kit lists the part# as 5JG-14591-00

• Wr426rdr

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:49 AM

To get the throttle stop screw out, and the cover off for that matter, i used a flexible ratchet extension. It worked great to get to the cover allens, and the screw itself. I fought it for 2 days before i bought the extention. Used a 1/4 ratchet, and an allen bit. Try it, makes life much easier!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5QQcmdZViewItem

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:19 PM

I have to change my previous statement. I was able to get the throttle screw out on an 08 without any dissasembly. I didn't even take the cover off. but will add that I couldn't do it with your standard allen key set.

we used a 5 inch long ball head allen socket, that was attached to a wobble extension, and attached to about 14 inches of extensions. we attacked it from the left side of the bike from behind the sub frame. one of the tricks is, with a flashlight, you can see the bolt, thru the frame next to the gas tank. so you are reaching it from under the bike, but looking at it from the side of the bike.

the wobble is key if you are using a ball end, becasue the screw head is not very deep and the ball end will skip if you don't push the ball end into the bolt while trying to turn it. I wasn't able to apply the force needed to keep the ball end engaged with a universail. so we used the wobble.

that flexible extension mentioned in the post above would work good, i think, as long as its not used with a ball end.

• C-P

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Ultimately, you should rejet, but Dirt Rider did test the bike with the free mods and stock jetting and said it wasn't bad, and of course it ran better at higher elevations.

Most will say JD is the way to go.

Getting at the carb is a pain, but like anything, time and patience will prevail. Loosen up the carb boots, raise the rear subframe, remove the rear shock, upper motor mounts and you should have all the access you need, aside from all the freaking hoses in the way! Doesn't hurt to remove hot start plunger, but be careful not to break the plastic threaded base. Aluminum pieces are available after market.

Read up around here on carb removal.

• firedawg553

Posted March 25, 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey everybody, thanks for all the advise and help. This thing RIPS. :excuseme: I have completed the grey wire, AIS, JT Jet, and throttle screw mods. I am waiting a little bit to do the muffler, and can't wait to see how much else this thing has. I havn't messed with the fuel screw yet, waiting to purchase a new one. There is an ever so slight bog when crawl to wide open, but I don't think that will be of any concern (don't plan on crawling in first gear). Once again THANKS!!:confused: :excuseme:

• RedBull420

Posted March 25, 2008 - 02:21 PM

I think it's - 5NL-14591-00-00

http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

• the ben

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:48 PM

a 50 leek jet helps that low end bog.., and I couldnot be happyer with my new aluminum, stainless Dr d full system.. wow.. check out qualitysmart.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.