Motosportman's project 93 XR650L

13 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 16, 2008 - 04:05 PM

well here it is before and after pics! runs great :-)

I stareted witha frame and no front wheel, bad rear wheel, cut up wiring harness etc etc etc, engine was good though.... still some things to do, change the fork fluid for example. h[IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii162/a6chris/100_1897.jpg

• Motosprtman

Posted March 16, 2008 - 04:08 PM

and the after )first time posting pics can you tell????

Posted Image

• Motosprtman

Posted March 16, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted March 16, 2008 - 04:27 PM

Nice work!:confused:

Good job. I think I may come up and break 'er in for you!

• resurrection

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:53 PM

Nice ride
Tell more about the old XL in the back .
I have two 250's and will share

• AaronBrown

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:43 PM

Looks really good:thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:22 AM

This one? I do all the old XL's (restoration) Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1nstr

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hey, great job! One question though, why didnt you stick the "battery under the seat Mod" while broken down to ge rid of the old hangy down ugly tumor? It only takes an hour or so and the new small batterys crank better than the old one.... I didn't even have to modify the seat. Any way, Nice job...on both bikes!

• martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hey, great job! One question though, why didnt you stick the "battery under the seat Mod" while broken down to ge rid of the old hangy down ugly tumor? It only takes an hour or so and the new small batterys crank better than the old one.... I didn't even have to modify the seat. Any way, Nice job...on both bikes!

Which battery did you do for your's? I piicked the CRF450X. Did you go to a pod, or did you stick the battery in the snorkel area? Or do like RMHRC33?

• jetfuel

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:30 PM

Looks good motosprtman.. It's always nice to see a machine brought back from neglect..:confused:
A couple washers under the rear two front fender mount bolts will give you a little more clearance for that fender if it's hitting the frame down tube.

Hope you get lots of use from it :excuseme:

• resurrection

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:35 PM

I dig the old school XL's I have two just like yours one nice one not so nice.
Also have 70's CL,and SL 350's.
I know this sounds crazy but I think my brother has the 350's and my parts guy has the 250's .

The story goes for resurrection.
As the years and bikes pillied up after thier resurrection I started to run out of room
I then early in 1990 started sending the bikes home with people .I never expect any back and hope they provide memories for a long time .
They will always be mine at heart.

• 1nstr

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:36 PM

Martinfan 30, I am upstairs in the house and the bike is in the back yard shop, hangin with the other bikes and lawnmowers, so I gotta admit I am not exactly sure what battery I got...I asked the local bike shop " Hawaii Rides " In Wahiawa what was the smallest battery with the most c.c.amps. They told me that the one they had in stock had 133cca, so I said hold it and I'd be over to get it. Couple of hours later it was in. If I knew how to get pics I'd show you what it looks like, but basically I took a heat gun (carefull) and heated up the back of the air box and streached it out with a hammer handle and cut off one of the air box tabs with a sawzall (turned out I did not need to with smaller battery)and set the battery in( I actually streched too much and had too much room) and Frankenstiched it in with zip ty's. I mounted the fuses in front of that (again Frankenstiched through the top of the air box) then I re-routed the wiring around and stiched it together in a neat (ha ha) coil and zip tied that to the front shock mount I stuck the Brains in the air box too and had plenty of room for the connections. It sits just under the battery and next to what ever side panel I decide will look good on it(any suggestions?). I hit the switch and she lit right up better n ever. So what? are you a NSCAR fan or something.........Me too!!! buz

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:08 PM

very nice , both of em!!

• Motosprtman

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the tip on the front fender rub! and thanks all for the compliments, it is a good runner, has a bit of whine in second gear, but does not slip or sloppily shift, I think it could be simply it needs to be ridden again. The last time it was on the street was 4 years ago, according to the plate registration. the oil that came outta the motor was black thick goo. I replinshed with castrol 10-40W for now and will drain and flush one more time to get it back to good and clean. Running 15 /48 gearing and a 130 Dunlop 606 in the rear, had to remove the chainguard as the tire was rubbing on it. Overall starts and runs great and pulls like a freight train. Thought of selling it - but I personalized it with the # 54 plates - and I don't think I would get much out of it anyway profit wise, I probably have 1700 in it (along with cost of the bike) and I don't think a 93 would sell for much more than 2000-2500K tops. So........ think I will keep it as the Baja Buggy "workhorse" XRL, while my 05 remains ..pristine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.