Question bout my new 99 XR650L

3 replies to this topic
  • rueffy

Posted March 16, 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hi all. Just upgraded from an 85 XR250L to a 99 650L, so im new to forum. I test rode the bike a little the day I bought it and then a few days later when I got it home. Never went far though as I didn't have the rego on yet.

Before getting into it for the spring/summer I did a pretty good service myself this last week. Just took it out and started it up and after shutdown noticed a gurgling sound from the left. Discovered there is a breather on the left side of engine case, under the cooling fins about half way up where the pistons would be - at least I think its a breather. The gurgling was coming from there with a little oil and even what looked like a little water mixed in there. Is this normal. When I test rode the bike it didn't do this, but I know the oil level was low then, but after my service the oil level is up near the upper mark.

Anyway, never saw this on the old 85 250 - can anyone explain the purpsoe of the vent?

Brett
Vancouver, BC

• martinfan30

Posted March 16, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hi all. Just upgraded from an 85 XR250L to a 99 650L, so im new to forum. I test rode the bike a little the day I bought it and then a few days later when I got it home. Never went far though as I didn't have the rego on yet.

Before getting into it for the spring/summer I did a pretty good service myself this last week. Just took it out and started it up and after shutdown noticed a gurgling sound from the left. Discovered there is a breather on the left side of engine case, under the cooling fins about half way up where the pistons would be - at least I think its a breather. The gurgling was coming from there with a little oil and even what looked like a little water mixed in there. Is this normal. When I test rode the bike it didn't do this, but I know the oil level was low then, but after my service the oil level is up near the upper mark.

Anyway, never saw this on the old 85 250 - can anyone explain the purpsoe of the vent?

Brett
Vancouver, BC

Thats normal, just a little condensation. I remember someone else posting this question as well.

Welcome to TT!

Rich.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rueffy

Posted March 16, 2008 - 01:20 PM

Thanks. I searched for past posts on this but without luck.

And a follow up question is - if stuff gets out of this vent, can stuff get in, like water when im washing it and other assorted bits of dirt and crap?

• martinfan30

Posted March 16, 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks. I searched for past posts on this but without luck.

And a follow up question is - if stuff gets out of this vent, can stuff get in, like water when im washing it and other assorted bits of dirt and crap?

If some mods have been done, post a pic of the general area.

I have done battery relo. mods and now have a hose from the crank case vent running up to the rear of the fuel tank. On the end is a K&N crank case breather filter. Not worried about it up there.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.