Hand gaurds

29 replies to this topic
  • manther

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:27 AM

When I first started riding dirtbikes (less than a year ago) a couple of old vetern dirtbike riders told me not to waste my money on hand gaurds that connect at the end of the handlebar. When I asked why they told me mainly because it's dangerous. When I asked why again they said because if you get in a nasty wreck and your hand goes forward off you grip and if it gets caught in that closed end hand gaurd your arm is at the mercy of the bike. They siad they've seen or heard about guys getting their arms broken in several places because of this. Now that I've been around dirtbikes for a little longer I keep noticing the gaurds being used by tons of people. Pro's even... So I ask were those old farts full of it or not? Is there a difference in the angle they are mounted at that makes them more or less safe? I.E. pointing downwards...

• garr87v

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:32 AM

The only way i would not use closed off handgaurds is when riding motorcross. Other then that if you endo and your arms get caught they might break. Just don't let go is my way of thinking.:confused:

• patcap

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:34 AM

it makes sense i suppose if your going really big but i mostly go trail riding and hit small stuff as im relativly new to riding like yourself so i would use them for a while and then as you get better and dont lay your bike down as much switch to the other kind so your not just going thru guards and or levers all the time,or just buy foldaway levers and dont use hand guards! that is only my opinion just thought i would reply because i too think of this.

• ncampion

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:57 AM

Open handguards are pretty much just for looks. A good bar mounted handguard does a lot more that protect your hands, they prevent a minor crash from breaking levers and ruining the ride. Used them for many years and never saw an injury from one.

• kanemilo

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:57 AM

I was riding single track and hit a solid rock that slammed my bar to the left and struck a tree right on the handguard hard enough to bend my bars. Without the solid end guards I would have hated to see my hand. So yes i think for my riding style the benefits outweigh the dangers.

• clark4131

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:59 AM

I run Cycra Probends with the smaller "enduro" sized plastics. They've saved my knuckless more than a few times when running in the woods. I think the likelihood of breaking an arm is probably pretty slim. Probably one of those "I heard of this guy whose cousin's friend's sister's ex-boyfriend's neighbor's kid broke his arm is 68 places when he wrecked on a 200-footer at Glamis" kind of thing. I'll take the risk, but I could be wrong :confused:...SC

• tweav

Posted March 16, 2008 - 12:00 PM

my cycra probends saved my thottle and brake controls when I dumped my wr450 on the street at 45 mph . they acted as sliders .

Posted Image

• gergis

Posted March 16, 2008 - 01:54 PM

Here's one of the "brother's sister's mother's husband's friend" stories, cause it wasn't me....BUT, it is an acquaintance and a brother-in-law of my riding bud.

He predominantly a trail rider, but last season got a pass at the MX track for mid-week practice as the decent riding area is almost 2 hours from his house. His buds told him to remove the handlebar end mounted guards when at the track, for the same reasons stated earlier. He didn't, and paid the price with a nasty break above his wrist. Lost a really good chunk of the season to boot.

• manther

Posted March 16, 2008 - 05:36 PM

On my first bike I got Acerbis handgaurds that did not connect. They kept stray branches and vines from snagging my fingers or knuckles, but thats about it. Now with a new bike I'm rethinking my option. I wish someone who actually got an arm injury could chime in. Instead of the "brothers sisters cousin". btw I do not ride tracks at all. I only ride natural trails. Hill climbs, snaking forest runs etc...

• Mutu

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:42 PM

Yep, I got aussie bark busters triple clamp mounted for extra strength.

They have saved my hands / controls / bars more times than I would like to admit.....

The other type of handguards are just to stop roost. Thats it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ajetmech

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:48 AM

I race in the Desert and have tried the cycra probends and the Acerbis both brands broke after a couple of hard falls and I was able to finish the race. I am running MSR's now. They are metal and the roost protectors are inchangable which make for a cheaper fix after going down. My son uses the cycra's and they have not broke yet although has bent two sets of renthals instead.

• crooks420

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:08 PM

Sounds like if you are into MX, DO NOT use full on Bark Busters. But if you like to ride woods, desert and single track, then yes, full wrap-around bark busters are the way to go. You dont break or bend levers, they protect your knuckles when you hit branches/ bushes/ trees, and they protect your hands if you hold on during those wipe-outs.
Sunday I was out riding some good trails out by Lake Hughes; I must have dumped my bike atleast 7 times on a few tough-ass hills, with no worry of breaking a lever........... and I almost never dump my bike!

Jesse

• CGNKatana

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hey all

Does anyone have any experiance with hand gaurd's from Moose Racing??? I just got a set made from titanium and not really sure how to install them. I am new to riding (just started a year ago). Any help would be great...

• motocross_mike

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Just for your info only single mount point hand guards can be used for motocross in Australia. Possibly the same rule applies in US. I was formally a MX official here in OZ. They are primarily used to keep your grips free from roost etc and maybe fend a few rocks off your knuckles.
I have been trail riding for the last 10 years with 2 point fixed handguards on my bikes (bark buster type) and have had many offs which have resulted in some injuries but never anything I can say was caused by getting hung up in my handguards.and In those 10 or so years I have only broken 1 lever.
mike

• Summit

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:18 AM

I wouldn't ride (trails) without them. Enduro Engineering makes some real good ones, very tough.

• manther

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:44 AM

Open handguards are pretty much just for looks. A good bar mounted handguard does a lot more that protect your hands, they prevent a minor crash from breaking levers and ruining the ride. Used them for many years and never saw an injury from one.

This is off subject but "ncampion" age 61...? Is that correct? If so you rock! I gotta ask - at 61 do you hit the trails? Track? Take it easy? Or go for it? Are your knees still good? At 33 my knees often ask me just what I think I'm doing...

• TheBlackSheep

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:52 AM

I run Cycra Probends with the smaller "enduro" sized plastics. They've saved my knuckless more than a few times when running in the woods. I think the likelihood of breaking an arm is probably pretty slim. Probably one of those "I heard of this guy whose cousin's friend's sister's ex-boyfriend's neighbor's kid broke his arm is 68 places when he wrecked on a 200-footer at Glamis" kind of thing. I'll take the risk, but I could be wrong :excuseme:...SC

+1. Well put Clark.

........... bahhh :confused:

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 19, 2008 - 01:04 PM

I wouldn't ride (trails) without them. Enduro Engineering makes some real good ones, very tough.

I just happen to have a set of those for sale on ebay with no reserve...check 'em out.

• ncampion

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:27 PM

This is off subject but "ncampion" age 61...? Is that correct? If so you rock! I gotta ask - at 61 do you hit the trails? Track? Take it easy? Or go for it? Are your knees still good? At 33 my knees often ask me just what I think I'm doing...

Manther, thanks for the comments. Yes, I am 61, been riding/racing since I was 20. Pretty much gave up racing and have toned down my riding style since a compound fracture of my tibia/fibula two years ago. I did do an off-road ride the length of Baja (and back) at 52 on an XR600 with a couple of buddies and no support - carried everything on our backs. Also did a six day ride through Copper Canyon Mexico three years ago with same buddies. I'm recently retired and moving to Baja to do more riding. I like to ride with young guys, they can mostly keep up and it makes me feel young still. Knees and back still hanging in there, but not sure how much longer. Remember, you don't stop riding cause you get old, you get old cause you stop riding.

• weathergeek

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:41 PM

When I first started riding dirtbikes (less than a year ago) a couple of old vetern dirtbike riders told me not to waste my money on hand gaurds that connect at the end of the handlebar. When I asked why they told me mainly because it's dangerous. When I asked why again they said because if you get in a nasty wreck and your hand goes forward off you grip and if it gets caught in that closed end hand gaurd your arm is at the mercy of the bike. They siad they've seen or heard about guys getting their arms broken in several places because of this. Now that I've been around dirtbikes for a little longer I keep noticing the gaurds being used by tons of people. Pro's even... So I ask were those old farts full of it or not? Is there a difference in the angle they are mounted at that makes them more or less safe? I.E. pointing downwards...

Seems to me after riding with the Acerbis hand guards with metal bar inside(closed), that they have saved levers as well as my wrists and hands on many many occasions. If the choice is this versus the 1 in a 1000 chance of breaking my arm, I am more than willing to take that risk. I only ride desert and mountain trails, no track and have used the guards since I started riding 6 yrs. ago.:confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.