Not liking my wr450

57 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted March 22, 2008 - 10:33 AM

I have a WR for the woods and a YZ for mx and sometimes switch wheels around due to laziness. I do notice when the 19 is on my WR.

A few buddies ride YZ's and they all use 18's. They think it's worth it.

If you lace your own rims it costs around 200 plus beer.

• mandrik

Posted March 23, 2008 - 02:29 PM

I have an 07 wr450 and came from a 95 cr250. So its my first four stroke but I absolutley love this bike!! It is A bad moth--f-----, period. I did the free mods, could tell a difference, did the ais kit and rejetting with the thick O-ring and could tell a big difference there too. The bottom end really came alive then. AS far as I'm concerned it should have a nasa symbol on it somewhere. The only thing that bothers me about it is the front end seems to push out on me, And the suspension definitly does not like the Mx tracks way to soft for that but IDEAL in the woods, like a Caddy.

• stanleigh12

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:26 PM

I have an 05 WR 450

Installed a FMF complete system along with all the other AIS mods and I am faster than a 07 KTM 450 EXC

• dugabrams

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:00 AM

I have an 07 wr450 and came from a 95 cr250. So its my first four stroke but I absolutley love this bike!! It is A bad moth--f-----, period. I did the free mods, could tell a difference, did the ais kit and rejetting with the thick O-ring and could tell a big difference there too. The bottom end really came alive then. AS far as I'm concerned it should have a nasa symbol on it somewhere. The only thing that bothers me about it is the front end seems to push out on me, And the suspension definitly does not like the Mx tracks way to soft for that but IDEAL in the woods, like a Caddy.

Front end push? The stock Dunlop 739 will let you down in a variety of situations. Have you changed it?

• mandrik

Posted March 24, 2008 - 01:31 PM

Duga-- It is quite possible that it is rider error. I have not changed the front tire but will consider it. When I ride real aggressive the front end seems to want to come out from under me, and has. It is really bad when I'm going down hill in the mud. I never had that problem with the CR but with this new bike and how good it feels to me I ride it at least 20% faster and more aggressive. So I am probably just riding the bike faster than my skill level!

• Wiz636

Posted March 24, 2008 - 01:51 PM

If you have the stock Dunlop 739 and are riding in the mud then you will DEFINITELY benefit from a new front tire! The 739 is a great tire if you are riding on asphalt but they suck everywhere else. Throw a Michelin S-12 on the front end for mud and you will be amazed at the difference. The Dunlop 742FA is a really good all around tire, as is the Michelin M-12.

• dugabrams

Posted March 24, 2008 - 03:28 PM

If you have the stock Dunlop 739 and are riding in the mud then you will DEFINITELY benefit from a new front tire! The 739 is a great tire if you are riding on asphalt but they suck everywhere else. Throw a Michelin S-12 on the front end for mud and you will be amazed at the difference. The Dunlop 742FA is a really good all around tire, as is the Michelin M-12.

This is sooooo true. I thought I was committing "driver error" every time I rode until I put a more aggresive tire on (scorpion pro). Instantly made me a better rider and it begs the question. "Why does Yamaha put this crappy tire on such a great bike?" They sure don't put this tire on the YZf's and I think this could by why some people think that YZf's have better off-road front suspension than WR's.

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:11 PM

This is sooooo true. I thought I was committing "driver error" every time I rode until I put a more aggresive tire on (scorpion pro). Instantly made me a better rider and it begs the question. "Why does Yamaha put this crappy tire on such a great bike?" They sure don't put this tire on the YZf's and I think this could by why some people think that YZf's have better off-road front suspension than WR's.

you guys like the dunlop 755? a Buddy recommended it.

• sausage boy

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:49 PM

you guys like the dunlop 755? a Buddy recommended it.

never tried it, i use the maxxicross IT front and IRC VE33 rear, i've tried the
michelin's they are a good tyre but i find they don't last to long. :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-P

Posted March 25, 2008 - 08:07 PM

Duga-- It is quite possible that it is rider error. I have not changed the front tire but will consider it. When I ride real aggressive the front end seems to want to come out from under me, and has. It is really bad when I'm going down hill in the mud. I never had that problem with the CR but with this new bike and how good it feels to me I ride it at least 20% faster and more aggressive. So I am probably just riding the bike faster than my skill level!

Ah, the only rider error I see here is the fact that you still have a 739 on the bike! They are the WORST unless you ride desert (I didn't even look - maybe you do ride dez?) My '98 came with 739s, pushed everywhere! Put a 756 on the front and I could RIDE! My '07 that hasnt' even seen dirt got it's 739 removed for a 756 immediately and will likely replace the 56's with Michelin S12s when they wear. Do a search on Dunlop 739 here or the off road riding forum.

From there, you're gonna want to look at having the suspension done.

FREE TO GOOD, WAIT, ANY HOME: 2 Dunlop 739's, one slightly used, one brand new.

• Wiz636

Posted March 25, 2008 - 08:43 PM

My '07 that hasnt' even seen dirt got it's 739 removed.

Did the same thing with my '06 YZ...brought it home, unloaded it and ripped that :prof: :bonk: 739 off before I even rode it. Gave it away for free.

• dugabrams

Posted March 26, 2008 - 10:25 AM

They should make a sticky called "739's, how I loathe thee"

• mandrik

Posted March 26, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Alright guys! Thanks for the advice. That tire is outta here. I was already getting close in the rear(They wear so damn quick, East Tenn Mountains) and I did not know a tire could make that big of a diff in the front. Went with m-12 rear and s-12 front. Anybody want tihs O.E. tire. Thanks again everybody!

• C-P

Posted March 28, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Alright guys! Thanks for the advice. That tire is outta here. I was already getting close in the rear(They wear so damn quick, East Tenn Mountains) and I did not know a tire could make that big of a diff in the front. Went with m-12 rear and s-12 front. Anybody want tihs O.E. tire. Thanks again everybody!

Let us know what you think when after you ride the Michelins...they'll probably wear a bit quicker, too but that's the side effect of actually having traction. Enoy!

• mandrik

Posted March 31, 2008 - 04:29 PM

I rode today on the new Michelin up front. Man what a difference. It has rained here for 1 1/2 days so it was MUDDY, Muddy, muddy. It is insane how well that tire preformed. Unbeleivable. I did not change the rear yet but seriously wish I had. I have it I just didnt want to use it up before I race again next month. Hind sight is always 20/20 though. I am sure it will be just as impressive! Thanks again everyone for the advice!

• Tsk350

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:46 PM

These weights are so much heavier than the MX bikes..... and you can really tell! :confused:

Well the phrase "use the right tool for the job" comes to mind. If you want to use an MX bike for a WRs job thats your prerogative. But when it gets dark out and you need a light you should probably make camp. When you go on a 60 mile ride in BFE better bring extra gas. When you get into climbing rocks up a steep slope better bring some icy-hot. And for all who say these bikes are too heavy try riding some vintage bikes that made our sport a sport then jump back on your over weight WR and realize how good you really have it. :prof: :bonk:

• Mutu

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Yep. I agree with the right tool for the job part.
The choice was made easy when I got my bike as the YZ450F was only a 4 speed. Now it is a 5 speed, I think it is only the e-start that is the selling point of the WR. In Australia, WR's come road legal, that too is the big selling point over a YZ.

• C-P

Posted April 03, 2008 - 07:42 PM

And for all who say these bikes are too heavy try riding some vintage bikes that made our sport a sport then jump back on your over weight WR and realize how good you really have it. :prof: :bonk:

Yeah, whenever I think about bike weight:

my WR could stand to lose 30 pounds, but so could I!!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.