Not liking my wr450

57 replies to this topic
  • dugabrams

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Stock for stock, YZ450F craps all over WR450F for offroad bike. Period.

MX suspension inferior??? Not to the overly soft WR suspension. Valving is way too soft on the WR's, even for the weight range it is intended for.
Suspension should be on the list to do on ANY bike, its just way less priorty on a YZ!!!

Not a big difference in power? You're kidding right?

"Stock for stock" I'm talkin free mods of course. The trottle stop alone is night and day. The lean jetting to achieve a green sticker is also a big anchor. I am comparing a free mod, properly jetted WR to a YZ. Not a plugged up stocker

I think there are alot of poorly moded/tuned WR's out there. Your WR should hang with ANY 450 that is near stock. If it's not, something else is wrong.

• dez4ever

Posted March 18, 2008 - 10:21 AM

I had an 06' with all the free mods and even went through a couple of different pipes and I was never satisfied with the power delivery of the bike. I had several Wr's from all different years and the 06' was by far my least favorite.

I currently have an 08' and love it, great power, handling and brakes.

• Eddie5150

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hey I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I keep reading about how your not happy with the power output on your WR well im curious what your WR wont do? Instead of wasting to much time and money on mods try honing your skills. A good rider can do amazing things with even the modest of bikes. I should know I have 13000 in my bike and get passed like im standing still. Horsepower is great in the sand and desert but technique is used all the time.
Now dont get me wrong there are some things that need to be done to the bikes but I have learned its not all in the motor. just my .02

Amen.

• dl19

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I have never understood all the need to spend money making one bike into another bike. Just start with the wildest highest power hardest suspension monster you can find. Then you can stop spending money trying to make it something it's not or was ever intended to be. If you want a diamond you can start with a chunk of coal and eventually it might make a diamond. Or, you could simply start with a diamond and save all the work and waiting on something that may or may not be. Not ranking I just don't understand why the time, effort, and money is spent that is done continually.

• Tsk350

Posted March 19, 2008 - 05:32 AM

[COLOR="Green"]since you know so much you will know that the WR is a big heavy bike and if it isnt running to its designed potential, its nothing but a big heavy slug that someone would be better off riding a XR600 instead of a big heavy slow 450.
I wanted to sell my bike and get something else until I got mine sorted.
But thanks for the lesson.[/COLOR]

Well first off the WR is designed to do exactly what it does off the show room floor it is then that the individual needs to customize there unit to better fit there needs. Hence the reason I asked "What wont your WR do".

The WR is not a heavy bike in comparison to its competition. The CRF 450 is 269 wet, the KLX 450 is 268 wet, the KTM 450 is 263 wet, The DRZ 400 is 265 wet and the WR comes in at 260 wet. To me the WR is not big and heavy, maybe a WR 250 is more of what you need if the weight bothers you.

Now dont get me wrong im a horsepower junky everything I own is highly modified thats just me. I just dont think its right to bash a product that is trying to cover a broad spectrum of uses. The WR is used family recreational riding to woods racing all the way to full all out desert racing. Sorry if I rambled on but I bleed blue.

• dugabrams

Posted March 19, 2008 - 07:50 AM

Well first off the WR is designed to do exactly what it does off the show room floor it is then that the individual needs to customize there unit to better fit there needs. Hence the reason I asked "What wont your WR do".

The WR is not a heavy bike in comparison to its competition. The CRF 450 is 269 wet, the KLX 450 is 268 wet, the KTM 450 is 263 wet, The DRZ 400 is 265 wet and the WR comes in at 260 wet. To me the WR is not big and heavy, maybe a WR 250 is more of what you need if the weight bothers you.

Now dont get me wrong im a horsepower junky everything I own is highly modified thats just me. I just dont think its right to bash a product that is trying to cover a broad spectrum of uses. The WR is used family recreational riding to woods racing all the way to full all out desert racing. Sorry if I rambled on but I bleed blue.

I agree, buuuuuuuuuuut the DRZ(265 lbs.) you are reffering to must be a kicker.

• beezer

Posted March 19, 2008 - 08:35 AM

A YZ exhaust cam made a big difference in my 08. The thing really rips now.

The aluminum WR's carry their weight lower and don't weel as heavy as the scale says.

• Mutu

Posted March 20, 2008 - 12:08 AM

I have never understood all the need to spend money making one bike into another bike. Just start with the wildest highest power hardest suspension monster you can find. Then you can stop spending money trying to make it something it's not or was ever intended to be. If you want a diamond you can start with a chunk of coal and eventually it might make a diamond. Or, you could simply start with a diamond and save all the work and waiting on something that may or may not be. Not ranking I just don't understand why the time, effort, and money is spent that is done continually.

Wise words there man. :confused:

Now if they would only make a 550cc, 65hp fuel injected monster with e-start that weighs 200lbs......

• Mutu

Posted March 20, 2008 - 12:13 AM

These weights are so much heavier than the MX bikes..... and you can really tell! :confused:

• dugabrams

Posted March 20, 2008 - 08:21 AM

These weights are so much heavier than the MX bikes..... and you can really tell! :confused:

So get an MX bike, live without E start, headlight and speeds over 60mph and build it for trails and off road.

Suspension work $300-$800
Lower gearing $75
Kickstand $100
Bashplate $80

Maybe Yamaha should come out a WR kicker only

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted March 20, 2008 - 12:03 PM

You have to add in the money for an 18" back wheel.

• MaxPower

Posted March 20, 2008 - 02:23 PM

[COLOR="Green"]is it necessary to use a 18" rear wheel off road?[/COLOR]

• Mutu

Posted March 21, 2008 - 12:25 AM

So get an MX bike, live without E start, headlight and speeds over 60mph and build it for trails and off road.

Suspension work $300-$800
Lower gearing $75
Kickstand $100
Bashplate $80

Yep, my next bike will be an MX bike..... I don't want a kick stand though, and headlight is a waste of time and money.

Maybe Yamaha should come out a WR kicker only

No!!!!

My WR is a kick start only bike anyway, but my new starter motor turned up yesterday, and I swaped my high compression piston back out to the stocker.

• NemadjiMan

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:37 AM

708ai - you made me cry when you said that "Noise is not an issue." Unless you are not going to start up your bike and ride it, noise is ALWAYS an issue. Take it from a guy that helps run Motocrosses and Enduros.

• dugabrams

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:51 AM

[COLOR="Green"]is it necessary to use a 18" rear wheel off road?[/COLOR]

It's not necessary but it gives you more resistance to pinch flats when riding in rocky terrain. Thats why the WR comes that way

• dugabrams

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Yep, my next bike will be an MX bike..... I don't want a kick stand though, and headlight is a waste of time and money.

No!!!!

My WR is a kick start only bike anyway, but my new starter motor turned up yesterday, and I swaped my high compression piston back out to the stocker.

Don't you get tired of always having to park against something just to shave 2lbs. off the bottom of the bike? If you are racing, sure, but otherwise I think it's an ego thing.

• Mutu

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:13 PM

Don't you get tired of always having to park against something just to shave 2lbs. off the bottom of the bike? If you are racing, sure, but otherwise I think it's an ego thing.

I have got my kickstand on my WR, if or when I get another MX bike, I will not install a kickstand....... not an ego thing......

• Gigerchild

Posted March 21, 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hi

Or sell it and get a 2 Stroke...!!

LL

• beezer

Posted March 22, 2008 - 07:44 AM

[QUOTEIt's not necessary but it gives you more resistance to pinch flats when riding in rocky terrain. Thats why the WR comes that way][/QUOTE]

I've tried both 18's and 19's and I think the 18 gives a smoother ride.

• MaxPower

Posted March 22, 2008 - 08:23 AM

[COLOR="Green"]and you think its worth the few hundred dollars to lace up a 18 inch rim?

Ill bet most riders couldn't tell the what rim was on the bike they were riding if someone switched them[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.