Not liking my wr450

57 replies to this topic
  • 708ai

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:32 PM

I did all the free mods aswell as the pmb insert, jd jetting to my 06 wr450, but how can I make this bike really rip. dr d? but Its gotta take more than just a pipe, I think. Noise is not an issue. Any help to make me fall in love with this thing would be great.

• Eddie5150

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:06 PM

What are you expecting? From what are you coming? I mean, if you are coming from a Ducati 999 Supersport, I can see you point. Uhhhhh, kind of. Well, not really. I mean, COME ON! What I think you should do is go to a place called NASA - I hear they have some really cool rockets you could strap on between your legs!

eddie

• JAYBIRDNLV

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:34 AM

I own an 06 WR450, Did all the free mods and put a DR D pipe on it.. It is a completely different bike. The pipe will make the biggest difference. I have always read that the WR 450 responds to a pipe change more than most other bikes and they were right!!!. I also had Rech Tech respring and revalve the front and rear suspension and it was the best $700.00 I have spent. Good luck.

• MaxPower

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:01 AM

[COLOR="Green"]708ai, until not too long ago,I just like you was disliking my 04. I did all the free things and installed a YZ pipe with a DBdawg insert. My bike is road leagal and thought I would quiet it down a little.Just for the hell of it, I took the insert out to see what it was like. Im glad I did.Made it a different bike. I mean, I was disliking the bike so much I was thinking of selling it.To me, it even made the bike feel lighter cause of all the power. Just from the blockage of a stupid insert. Now I just run the YZ pipe and am waiting on my Dr D to get here. Get rid of that WR silencer and at least put a 03-05 YZ pipe on the end.You will think different of your bike. Honest[/COLOR]

• TWILES

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:28 AM

I did all the free mods aswell as the pmb insert, jd jetting to my 06 wr450, but how can I make this bike really rip. dr d? but Its gotta take more than just a pipe, I think. Noise is not an issue. Any help to make me fall in love with this thing would be great.

I've got an 05 with the same complaint. I don't have enough money to buy this stuff now but I've been doing my research over the last 3 months. Here's what I came up with.

YZ exhaust cam
Lighter flywheel - Trail Tech has a -6
Merge Racing AP bowl
complete exhaust

Thats all I can come up with to get it closer to a YZ. It'll be a couple months before I get that stuff on mine but thats my direction.

• BKRacing

Posted March 16, 2008 - 12:11 PM

I didnt want a YZ and that is why i bought the WR. You need to realize you are 20 to 40 lbs more to start with, geometry is different, it isnt going to be a YZ. But that being said, I have better traction than a YZ, and as soon as I get out of the corner my WR(basic mods) will pull up on any stock 450.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 16, 2008 - 01:05 PM

based on what you have said and from the input from others, i would do and have done: installed a dr. d slip on pipe. you would be surprised at how much it will wake the bottom end up on this bike. for me that big as i run taller gearing for the desert and mexico trips. i currently run 15/48 and have no problem bring the front up yet the bike will still pull 100 on the pavement.

• tweav

Posted March 16, 2008 - 03:18 PM

I thought my wr450 was a slow tame bike until I rejetted it on a dyno . get a pipe maybe a yz cam and take you bike and get it adjusted on a dyno. on the dyno I found out that my all my jets were way off and the accel pump was not doing anything . I know I still have a few more hp to find in mine but it was well worth the money instead of guessing

• Mutu

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:50 PM

You can do what I did to my 450!

That is power wise:
Vortex ignition
Procircuit ti gp pipe
JE high comp piston
Hotcams
JD jetting

Add these to professionally set up suspension and you will have a bike that rips.

If I had my time over again with the bike, I wouldn't have bothered to be honest. Because it doesn't matter what you do to the bike, it will still be too bloody heavy! I should have just got a YZ450F, but I did have my reasons for the WR.

P.S. Don't underestimate what a pipe will do to your bike!!!! :confused:

• Johnny34

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:59 AM

I've got an 05 with the same complaint. I don't have enough money to buy this stuff now but I've been doing my research over the last 3 months. Here's what I came up with.

YZ exhaust cam
Lighter flywheel - Trail Tech has a -6
Merge Racing AP bowl
complete exhaust

Thats all I can come up with to get it closer to a YZ. It'll be a couple months before I get that stuff on mine but thats my direction.

I could be wrong, but I thought the YZ exhaust cam swap was for the pre '05 WR's.

My WR has all the free mods, AIS removed, JD Jetting, and a Big Gun full exhaust and it absolutley rips. If you want something with more power my friend is selling his CR500 to get a *gasp* 450X. If you really want a YZ (one less gear, no light and a little less weight) why not just buy a YZ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dugabrams

Posted March 17, 2008 - 11:11 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought the YZ exhaust cam swap was for the pre '05 WR's.

My WR has all the free mods, AIS removed, JD Jetting, and a Big Gun full exhaust and it absolutley rips. If you want something with more power my friend is selling his CR500 to get a *gasp* 450X. If you really want a YZ (one less gear, no light and a little less weight) why not just buy a YZ?

Last time I checked my WR has a lot of handy off-road things that total around 30lbs. I even think it has a button on it that starts the bike for me. It has a kickstand, lights, a wide ratio tranny, moter tuning and suspension very different than a YZ all designed to perform at a high level in the woods.

If someone really wants to transform a YZf into a woods bike, you would have to change some stuff. Valving and springs are a must, lower gearing, heavier flywheel or Rekluse clutch, odometer or gps, heavy tubes and slime, bashplate and a kickstand. You would then have a bike about 25lbs. lighter than a WR but with no electric start, no headlight and it will top out around 70mph (WR is around 90)

I think the above bike is what some of these guys really want.

• MaxPower

Posted March 17, 2008 - 06:17 PM

[COLOR="Green"]thats not true
Some people need more MX type supension
You dont need a flywheel all the time
Some may not need lights
Some people may just need a hard core off road bike.
If you need all those things you listed, you probably arent looking for the extra YZ power
[/COLOR]

• dugabrams

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:32 PM

What extra yz power? I have the Yz ex. cam and the flywheel would be the only other thing. Maybe a different delivery, but there is just not a very big difference in total power. Also, MX suspension is inferior in an off road application 90% of the time. Try doing a hill climb up a shelf like rock face on both bikes. The stiff MX springs will dart off the big bumps instead of eating them up and allowing you to maintain momentum, and with the light flywheel, your motor just died. Now restart your bike, oh wait, no magic button, then it's getting dark and your 30 miles from camp with no headlight,,,,,,,,

Some of these things are just plain worth there weight to me, but I understand those who don't want them.

• Mutu

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:50 PM

What extra yz power? I have the Yz ex. cam and the flywheel would be the only other thing. Maybe a different delivery, but there is just not a very big difference in total power. Also, MX suspension is inferior in an off road application 90% of the time. Try doing a hill climb up a shelf like rock face on both bikes. The stiff MX springs will dart off the big bumps instead of eating them up and allowing you to maintain momentum, and with the light flywheel, your motor just died. Now restart your bike, oh wait, no magic button, then it's getting dark and your 30 miles from camp with no headlight,,,,,,,,

Some of these things are just plain worth there weight to me, but I understand those who don't want them.

Stock for stock, YZ450F craps all over WR450F for offroad bike. Period.

MX suspension inferior??? Not to the overly soft WR suspension. Valving is way too soft on the WR's, even for the weight range it is intended for.
Suspension should be on the list to do on ANY bike, its just way less priorty on a YZ!!!

Not a big difference in power? You're kidding right?

• simica

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I believe the YZ cam mod is good up to the '06 WR. I heard the '07 and '08 cams are the same for YZ and WR. If someone out there knows otherwise please reply. I just ordered a YZ exhaust cam for my '05 WR450 and also plan on adding a slip on exhaust. I'll let everyone know how it runs when I'm done.

• Mutu

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:51 PM

I believe the YZ cam mod is good up to the '06 WR. I heard the '07 and '08 cams are the same for YZ and WR. If someone out there knows otherwise please reply. I just ordered a YZ exhaust cam for my '05 WR450 and also plan on adding a slip on exhaust. I'll let everyone know how it runs when I'm done.

You'll be happy with the cam and exhaust change! That's how they should have came from factory!

The '07 and '08 YZ cams are different from the WR's.

• Tsk350

Posted March 18, 2008 - 12:07 AM

Hey I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I keep reading about how your not happy with the power output on your WR well im curious what your WR wont do? Instead of wasting to much time and money on mods try honing your skills. A good rider can do amazing things with even the modest of bikes. I should know I have 13000 in my bike and get passed like im standing still. Horsepower is great in the sand and desert but technique is used all the time.
Now dont get me wrong there are some things that need to be done to the bikes but I have learned its not all in the motor. just my .02

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 18, 2008 - 12:50 AM

just asking a question to the OP. but is your bike running correctly???

in your previous thread you said it was surging and missing????

http://www.thumperta...860#post6074860

if its not running smooth, then its not really a "WR vs YZ" issue. it's a "your bike is broke and that sucks issue".

• MaxPower

Posted March 18, 2008 - 12:57 AM

Hey I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I keep reading about how your not happy with the power output on your WR well im curious what your WR wont do? Instead of wasting to much time and money on mods try honing your skills. A good rider can do amazing things with even the modest of bikes. I should know I have 13000 in my bike and get passed like im standing still. Horsepower is great in the sand and desert but technique is used all the time.
Now dont get me wrong there are some things that need to be done to the bikes but I have learned its not all in the motor. just my .02

[COLOR="Green"]since you know so much you will know that the WR is a big heavy bike and if it isnt running to its designed potential, its nothing but a big heavy slug that someone would be better off riding a XR600 instead of a big heavy slow 450.
I wanted to sell my bike and get something else until I got mine sorted.
But thanks for the lesson.[/COLOR]

• Summit

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:13 AM

GYT-R pipe and header made the most difference. I think it rips now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.