YZ450 Chain and Sprocket Questions

10 replies to this topic
  • Dan_187

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:10 PM

I'm replacing my current set, right now I have Renthal twin ring and an R1 non oring chain. The sprokets seemed to wear pretty good but the R1 chain wore out pretty quick and is starting to chew up the sprockets. I did a search and saw a lot of you guys recommend the Regina ORN6 O-ring chain. I might consider getting that one but how does it compare to the X ring chain or the new ironman chain? Im think of throwing that on a set of twin rings again since they seem ok. Should I stick with those or show I get the Ironmans. Performace wise, are the Ironman titaniums good or are they too heavy?

Also how do you clean that gunky shit off new chains, this last chain I didn't clean that grease off so that might have also contributed to the premature wear. I was thinking using varsol or pain thinner to clean it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:33 PM

I haven't used an X-ring from brand new, but I did have one on our old YZ250F when I got it, and it never rolled as freely as the Reginas I have had.

Ironman sprockets are great from a tooth wear stand point, and are not really very much heavier than most aluminum cogs, but their extremely light center design puts an extra strain on the hub in some circumstances. May never be an issue, but ... Then there is their price. Tag rears are very light, are hard anodized, and with a chain that stays at the right length for a reasonable time, will last at least a year, and probably more for half the price.

I remove the "gunk" on a new chain (remember that I'm using sealed Regina chains) by spraying the chain with Simple Green once it's installed, and washing off what will come off with a garden hose. Then I lube the exterior with a good low-tack chain lube for the benefit of the rollers and the sprockets. The rest will come off with the next washings. Don't use pressure washers on sealed chains if it can be avoided (and it can).

• Dan_187

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. About the Tag sprockets, are they more durable than aluminum Renthals? Aren't aluminum sprockets too soft for 450s? Do yuo think they would be better than the twin rings?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:07 PM

The Tags will outlast Renthals 2 or 3 to one easily. But anything with a steel chain ring will last longer IF the chain is not allowed to wear beyond a reasonable limit. "Stretched" chains eat steel sprockets, too.

• DPW

Posted March 16, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Take a look at the new ProTaper sprockets....I was surprised by how well they hold up. I have an IronMan sprocket waiting to be put on, but the ProTaper won't wear out.

As for chains...my vote is the DID 520ERV3...pricey, but narrower then most ringed chains and it rolls a lot freer then any other ringed chain that I've used. Nothing to back up my claims other then spinning the rear wheel in the garage...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted March 16, 2008 - 05:38 PM

Ive also notice that regina orn-6 oring chains dont spin as well as a did er 2on the stand. So does it take time to break it in. also i realy like a 50 tooth rear sprocket on the yz 450.

• FriscoKLR

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:20 PM

I used a Regina orn-6 each of the last two year. First year I used Sikolene spray on it and it looked pretty good at the end of the year. I bought a new Orn-6 beginning of last year and used the spray wax becuase the sikolene seemed to really gum up. The chain was destroyed at the end the year using the wax every ride. New front and rear sprockets were put on with the chains.

Still think the Regina is a great chain but going back to the gooey lube.

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 18, 2008 - 02:42 AM

Sealed chain (o-ring, x-ring, etc..) is the only way to go IMHO, not much stretching at all for a good one. The DID ERV3 is excellent, as is the Regina ZRH and GPZ z-ring chains. The GPZ is recommended for use with 1000cc superbikes, so it's plenty strong for our little 450 size motors. I believe the ERV3 might be similar, I don't have the spec handy. With chains you really do get what you pay for, and the good chains are a bit more expensive but they last.

• TCCRA RACER

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:27 AM

Moose oring chain is really free rolling and stock steel sprockets are the best and easier on the pocket book..

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:55 AM

I used a Regina orn-6 each of the last two year. First year I used Sikolene spray on it and it looked pretty good at the end of the year. I bought a new Orn-6 beginning of last year and used the spray wax becuase the sikolene seemed to really gum up. The chain was destroyed at the end the year using the wax every ride. New front and rear sprockets were put on with the chains.

Still think the Regina is a great chain but going back to the gooey lube.

I use Maxima Synthetic Chain Gaurd specifically because it dries to a very low tack, and picks up almost no dirt. It also stays in place very well if you give it 8 hours or so to set up, and washes off, along with what little dirt it does collect, with Simple Green and a garden hose. I've had great results with it.

Their Chain Wax product is really disappointing, and wax in general is much better for street bikes and bicycles than dirt bikes.

• todds924

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:05 PM

Take a look at the new ProTaper sprockets....I was surprised by how well they hold up. I have an IronMan sprocket waiting to be put on, but the ProTaper won't wear out.

As for chains...my vote is the DID 520ERV3...pricey, but narrower then most ringed chains and it rolls a lot freer then any other ringed chain that I've used. Nothing to back up my claims other then spinning the rear wheel in the garage...

+2 on the erv3!!!! Best chain i ever used....well over 100 hours and its still brand new....sprockets are still good also.....stock steel.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.