Stupid Question about Kouba tool

2 replies to this topic
  • bajabunk

Posted April 25, 2002 - 02:24 PM

My bike idles the same when I screw the tool in or out. What does that mean? The Kouba web page says if low idle never comes around when screwing it out, then you probably need a larger pilot jet and the opposite when screwing it in. Mine never changes. This may be a stupid question, but I am needing some input here. I aso just changed over to YZ timing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted April 26, 2002 - 07:20 AM

It's not a stupid question. Depending on your current conditions and jetting you may not notice a change in idle by just turning it in and out. Try it combined with some blips of the throttle. You should also have a warmed up bike.

Here is what I would do - from your stock number of turns, turn it out until a slight blip of the throttle results in a hesitation or stumble. Don't go more than 2.75 turns out total. If you already have this hesitation/stumble down low, then turn it in until a slight blip in the throttle results in a idle that hangs too high for more than a second or two. Then turn it back until you just get a crisp response without a hanging idle.

I've had occasion where I got a hanging idle but ALSO a hesitation. By going to a smaller pilot I got rid of the hesitation and tweaking the fuel screw got rid of the hanging idle.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 26, 2002 - 08:58 AM

Carb clean?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.