How do you take off the rear brake pedal?

11 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted March 15, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I wanted to replace the rear brake pedal. I took the little pin out of the back of the bolt but I can't get that thing to budge? Any ideas on how to get that out? I have an 01 426 that I am going to take apart and clean up. Thanks!

• KJ790

Posted March 15, 2008 - 05:26 PM

It's probably rusted in place. Try some penetrating oil and force. Make sure you grease it well before puting it back together.

• 642MX

Posted March 15, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I wanted to replace the rear brake pedal. I took the little pin out of the back of the bolt but I can't get that thing to budge? Any ideas on how to get that out? I have an 01 426 that I am going to take apart and clean up. Thanks!

Put a little heat on it. Use a heat gun, there is an o-ring on the brake pivot bolt and you don't want to melt it using a torch.

• klxnewguy

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:38 AM

I'll give it a shot with something to work on the possible rust and then heat it up a bit. Thanks guys!

• timoyz1

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:53 AM

You took off the cotter pin, but did you take off the nut too?

• KJ790

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:56 AM

You took off the cotter pin, but did you take off the nut too?

I think he means the pivot bolt, which doesn't have a nut.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SPLATT

Posted March 16, 2008 - 08:18 AM

You can give it a smack with a hammer to help break loose some of the rust as well.Just don't over do it.

Steve

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:08 AM

You can give it a smack with a hammer to help break loose some of the rust as well.Just don't over do it.

Steve

If you decided to try this, find a pin punch that will fit inside the Allen socket of the pivot bolt. By doing this, you can be fairly brutal without doing any damage that will matter in any way.

• Dveitch8

Posted March 16, 2008 - 11:43 AM

oops rusted in place, time for a new bike! If you can find some, PBBlaster is the best rust breaker I've ever used, amazing stuff!

• MaxPower

Posted March 16, 2008 - 02:00 PM

find a pin punch that will fit inside the Allen socket of the pivot bolt.

[COLOR="Green"]pin punch? Im not clear on that[/COLOR]

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2008 - 02:32 PM

[COLOR="Green"]pin punch? Im not clear on that[/COLOR]

Posted Image

• klxnewguy

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thanks guys, just some WD 40 and the fact that I had to man up a bit and off she came. No rust. I am going to take the bike down to the frame and powder coat the bad boy. I'll let you know once it's all done!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.