Movie Set at Ocotillo Wells

5 replies to this topic
  • reconranger

Posted March 15, 2008 - 05:32 AM

If you have seen the movie "Into The Wild", the shots of the nudist hippies at the hot springs and the conversations on the rocky mountainside between the old man and the main character, were all filmed in the "Cove" region of Ocotillo (behind Blow Sand Hill).

We were out there camped at the Cove (I think it was Thanksgiving weekend?) two years ago, and they had the hot springs set, all set up. There were a bunch of old cars and hippie busses, and they had lined a hole with plastic and filled it with water to make it look like a springs. They had left a security guard behind to keep folks from messing with the set, but the poor guy didn't have any food! I guess the union rules say they have to feed them three times a day, but somehow this poor guy got overlooked. So, we shared our meals and campfire with him, until somebody came and finally relieved him a couple days later.

The set is supposed to look like "Oh My God Hot Springs", which was originally miles to the east, closer to Salton City. The springs was closed by the county years ago (capped off and buldozed over), I guess because of the "unsavory element" that it attracted (????).

You can clearly see the fence behind the Cove in some of the shots, and Blow Sand is visible in the background of some of the mountainside shots. (This mountainside, is a favorite of a lot of rock crawlers, myself included!)

Also, there are scenes at Slab City and Salvation Mountain, which is on the other side of Salton Sea, near Nyland.

• Wayne_Nosala

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:13 AM

About 6 years or so, I did a group ride from Cal City
to Trona Pinicles.

They were filming Planet of the Apes. Security would
not let us near that place. It was quite the production
it looked like a city had poped up over night.

Lot of $$$ spent for a flop movie

Wayne

• YZF-ing!

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:36 AM

You would never know it, but we film all over the deserts. I am a Teamster for the studios and I have worked near many of my favorite spots. We usually go during the week and are gone by the weekend (at least for commercials or smaller productions). The bigger shows have to suck it up and are there for weeks or months (Toyota Tundra commercials)...most for the crew HATES it, I just bring the dirt bike and squeeze in a pre-dawn ride or take the long loop to town.

It sucks this year cuz there are not many pilots filming right now. I guess everyone wants to watch "reality" TV now. The more "reality" shows there are the less of the good stuff we will see. NO reality shows are filmed with big car crashes, or Bourne style fight scenes, or special effects, etc. Instead we get hyper-skinny people eating bugs on a stupid island, chick fights, drunk frat boys, etc.

I miss good old TV...BOYCOT REALITY (TV)!!!!

• Wayne_Nosala

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:44 AM

You would never know it, but we film all over the deserts. I am a Teamster for the studios and I have worked near many of my favorite spots. We usually go during the week and are gone by the weekend (at least for commercials or smaller productions). The bigger shows have to suck it up and are there for weeks or months (Toyota Tundra commercials)...most for the crew HATES it, I just bring the dirt bike and squeeze in a pre-dawn ride or take the long loop to town.

It sucks this year cuz there are not many pilots filming right now. I guess everyone wants to watch "reality" TV now. The more "reality" shows there are the less of the good stuff we will see. NO reality shows are filmed with big car crashes, or Bourne style fight scenes, or special effects, etc. Instead we get hyper-skinny people eating bugs on a stupid island, chick fights, drunk frat boys, etc.

I miss good old TV...BOYCOT REALITY (TV)!!!!

I was at a meeting at El Mirage this week, I spoke with the
film bourd rep for the area, They shot 117 films and TV shows at
El Mirage last year alone.

I thoght that was a pretty impressive number

Wayne

• reconranger

Posted March 15, 2008 - 10:19 AM

I love finding locations that I know in movies and dirt bike/quad magazines! Most of the mags are here in So. Calif., and there aren't that many shots where I can't tell you what the location is....

• chris142

Posted March 15, 2008 - 01:42 PM

Ya I live in Apple Valley and have ran across many movie sets in the past. Lots of stuff goin on in ElMirage.They also close roads around Edwards AFB often for shooting stuff.

There was a movie made in the 50's called "Tarantula" and they walked a huge mechanical spider over the rocks at dead mans Point then West down bear Valley rd!

A UFO movie shot around the same time showed the area where Carmens Ponderosa is now at as well as lots of shots in Fairview Valley near the dry lake and Victorville near HWy18 and the Mojave river.

Called "It came from outer space".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLk7bJNyN44

Other useleass trivia: Around 1993 Sublime played a free concert at the end of Deep Creek rd right infront of the tunnel at the dam.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.